Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005 | 01:11 PM
c4bliss
Racer

Just out of curiosity, why did your engine fail?

Also on a different note, on the RMS issue, why hasn't PAG been sued over this? I would think this would be a classic class action kinda thing? I mean its a well known design flaw that they have attempted to correct numerous times with "field fixes" Someone educate me?
Old 12-29-2005 | 01:25 PM
searching4996
Racer

This is such a shame. I could live with some repair failure, and fully expect to budget about 2 grand a year for the unknown repair. But Engine Failure of a car that's 80 k new at 44,000 miles? Totally unacceptable.
Old 12-29-2005 | 01:49 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

well the problem comes down to when these faulty engines are diagnosed, they are all diagnosed as being caused by being faulty engines from the factory.. it's one thing, if an owner did something to cause these engines to grenade, but from what i've seen in 99% of the causes of the blown engines, is that the engine was out of spec or something was wrong with it straight from germany that was "porsche's" fault..

essentially you are paying out your *** for their mistake... that's the difference.. hell, look at all the kids in hondas that fix them up and drive around like complete morons.. people buy them used with 150,000 miles and have no problems at all...

bmw stood up to the plate, realized they f**ked up with the m3 and recalled the engines/paid for them... porsche on the other hand could care less about the fact that they f**ked up.. that's the point of it all and i think his, my and the others frusteration..
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
but from what i've seen in 99% of the causes of the blown engines, is that the engine was out of spec or something was wrong with it straight from germany that was "porsche's" fault..
You have seen 99% of all engine failures and been let in on the EXACT cause of the problem?

essentially you are paying out your *** for their mistake... that's the difference.. hell, look at all the kids in hondas that fix them up and drive around like complete morons.. people buy them used with 150,000 miles and have no problems at all...
Really? Is that what you believe? You honestly beleive that all the hondas abused by the ricer crowd have no problems? There is a reason honda is the most stolen car in the country....repalcement parts! The difference between us and them is that we actually pay for our parts not take them from anothers car.

Come on Bob, I thought you were over this. Sounds like your PTSD is kicking in.
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:06 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've got a 45k mile 3.4L engine for sale that was running flawlessly when it came out of my 2001 C2 996 (converted the car to a 3.6L engine). $3750 plus shipping from Charleston, SC and its yours. Engine is at Autometrics Motorsports currently.

Has the PMNA oiling upgrade installed (not a cheap upgrade). If you want the ECU and harness as well, its an extra $1250. The ECU has been reprogrammed by Porsche Motorsports to make higher than stock horsepower using 100 octane fuel. Wouldn't recommend it for a street car however.

Let me know if you're interested in the engine and I'll get you in touch with Gordon at Autometrics.
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:11 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

LV,

the dealerships i've brought the engine to have all given me the same answer, that the problem was an internal engine failuire that was not the result of anything that could have been caused from driving... essentially a ticking time bomb from the factory..

engines these days are not supposed to grenade.. what other cars besides the m3, which bmw has recalled and paid for has these types of engines problems with such low mileage? i thought so....

in terms of over this. i'm over my situation, it just upsets me no end when i see others having the same engine blowsups over and over again, because i relate to them... and it brings me back to all the anger i felt at porsche knowing i had to pay for their mistakes in creating a faulty engine...
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:43 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

There is a 3.6L with approx 6,000 mi. on Ebay for $6,999 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem) and a 3.4L with 59,000+ mi for $6,499 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QcmdZViewItem). You also see them from other sources on a regular basis.
Old 12-29-2005 | 02:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

the dealerships i've brought the engine to have all given me the same answer, that the problem was an internal engine failuire that was not the result of anything that could have been caused from driving... essentially a ticking time bomb from the factory..
I find that very hard to believe. If that was the case and it was stated in writing or a verbal from PAG/PCNA, then trust me, the engine would have been replaced. If the company claims full responsibility and stated that the engine was a flaw that would lead to a blown engine then guess what? They are on the hook. See why it is hard to believe to believe your statement?

And by the way, you are NOT over your bitter taste of buying a multiple owner, wholesaled, Ford dealership sold, unknown history lemon.

Unless you (general) are the only owner and have all service done at the dealer or documented then you have no case for a claim in my opinion. Why? As many have stated, you just have NO way to know how the car was treated. Period.
Old 12-29-2005 | 04:03 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

See this is what a good forum does for one another..

Originally Posted by BBailey
I've got a 45k mile 3.4L engine for sale that was running flawlessly when it came out of my 2001 C2 996 (converted the car to a 3.6L engine). $3750 plus shipping from Charleston, SC and its yours. Engine is at Autometrics Motorsports currently.

Has the PMNA oiling upgrade installed (not a cheap upgrade). If you want the ECU and harness as well, its an extra $1250. The ECU has been reprogrammed by Porsche Motorsports to make higher than stock horsepower using 100 octane fuel. Wouldn't recommend it for a street car however.

Let me know if you're interested in the engine and I'll get you in touch with Gordon at Autometrics.
Old 12-29-2005 | 04:35 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
See this is what a good forum does for one another..
yeal, i am not afraid of buying a used 996, or drop a 3.6 in pre-02 996 no more
Old 12-29-2005 | 04:51 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dropping a 3.6L into an early car is a WHOLE lot harder than most people think and a lot more expensive.

I'd say go for it if you're building a racecar and starting with a very worn out '99 C2 996 that was acquired cheaply. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy a 3.6L 996 initially.

If you're putting a street car back together and don't want to buy a new engine from Porsche, I'd go with a used 3.4L everytime. Reflash the ECU, add headers and a cold air intake along with the aerokit rear wing from an early cup car (gives a little more of a ram air effect at speed) and you'll have very close to the power of a stock 3.6L. It's much easier to drop in an engine than rewire the entire car which is what you're looking at to properly fit a 3.6L engine into the car.

I've been down that road and had I known then what I know now, I'd have spent the extra money upfront to buy a 3.6L or would have spent half what I did on my '01 and bought a worn out '99 and rebuilt it with a 3.6L. Either way, I'd have a ton less cash in my 996.
Old 12-29-2005 | 05:30 PM
searching4996
Racer

bmw stood up to the plate, realized they f**ked up with the m3 and recalled the engines/paid for them... porsche on the other hand could care less about the fact that they f**ked up.. that's the point of it all and i think his, my and the others frusteration..

They really did, and warrantied every one of those engines for an additional 6 years/100,000 miles. Are you telling me that the early 996's (99-01) had as many engine falures as the 01-02 m's? And Porsche hasn't done anything about it? Other than the RMS problems this is the first time I'm hearing about this.
Old 12-29-2005 | 07:15 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by searching4996
They really did, and warrantied every one of those engines for an additional 6 years/100,000 miles. Are you telling me that the early 996's (99-01) had as many engine falures as the 01-02 m's? And Porsche hasn't done anything about it? Other than the RMS problems this is the first time I'm hearing about this.
And then after the 6yr/100K (which by the way is the same as the CPO) what do you do? This could go on forever. The manufacturer has to cut the strings at some point. Agree?
Old 12-29-2005 | 08:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

An advantage of getting engine replaced by dealer is that it would be warantied(2 years?) so there is a safety bubble there. If you'll get it from a wreck yard or privateer who knows what can happen. It's sad to say your in this situation and wish you the best but it's getting really tiring to hear p-cars doing that. PAG-please come up to bat. Regards. Mike
Old 12-29-2005 | 10:22 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

I understand what you guys are saying. Buying out or warranty is always a risk. I do not feel that Porsche OWES me an engine per se, but I think that they can at least have the decency to sell the fkn parts I would need for the engine without having to buy a new one. There is nothing wrong with my MAF sensor, the intake or exhaust manifolds, nothing wrong with the cams, the pistons, etc. so why should I have to buy everything? That is my main gripe. They know that when the head fails they are going to tell me to pound sand for the whole engine and I do not think that is fair. Sell me a cylinder head or a head gasket, or put out a bulletin so a dealer knows how to fix my problem. My biggest objection is that their answer is "just buy a new engine."

I will keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?