996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 09:29 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by billh1963
Isn't comparing 996 engines to previous generation engines an "apples to oranges" comparison?
It is. I was just bringing up the comparison because someone a number of posts back had mentioned that Porsche (the brand), and not limited to the 996, was problematic and arrogant in their approach to R&D and customer service. As such, I intended to illustrate that my experience has shown them not to be (which still is not statistically powerful to suggest that they are not, but just my own anecdotal perspective), and it includes a history of 3 996 cars.
Old 01-12-2006 | 09:33 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Question

By the way, am I interpreting this correctly? Does RMS failure ultimately necessitate complete engine replacement? This seems preposterous to me.

It would seem that Porsche service would simply install the newest generation RMS. Does anyone who actually knows how to service these cars know the REAL protocol for engine replacement? Is RMS failure one of these reasons?!
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:08 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
$8K is a great deal for a new motor with a warranty.
LVdell this is not aimed at you in particular, but DO YOU PEOPLE SEE HOW RIDICULOUS THIS KIND OF THINKING IS!?!?!?!?!

You pay $80 grand for a Porsche because of its superior engineering and quality, and then when engines start blowing up because they're designed like crap, all you people can say is "yeah, but that's a great deal on a new motor." YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO REPLACE THE DAMN MOTOR!
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:14 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Totally concur. My statement was merely one that only $8K is great for a new motor. My stance on the engine grenade discussion is one that has been clearly stated.....if you buy a car rgardless of the PPI done that has no history, came from an auction, bought from a Ford dealer, 4th owner, etc, etc, etc, then you have NO gripe against Porsche for a free one if you are OUTSIDE of the warranty period. With that said I would only buy one of these cars (since they are so pricey to own) as a new car with a full warranty or a CPO car so I have time to determine if the car is a keeper or not with an "insurance policy" during that time.
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:15 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jb26jb
Bob you're missing my point. Had you purchased the vehicle from a porsche dealership with the cpo warranty your first motor would have been covered. Consequently, no complaining about porsche as they would have paid for new motor. Had you had Porsche install your second motor it would have also been warrantied by Porsche and replaced by Porsche. Whether or not your car had any problems that a Porsche dealer would have found at auction opposed to Ford is debatable, but alot of auction cars, at least in NY, have flaws that prevent dealers from selling them such as frame damage. I'm not saying your created the damage to the engines just that you created your position of being w/o a warranty when you had not one but two opportunities to have a warrantied engine.
This kind of thinking is pure stupidity - so basically you're saying that anyone who buys a used Porsche out of warranty is an idiot, and they deserve to pay tens of thousands of dollars when things keep breaking? You're the kind of apologist that enables PAG to make record profits while producing mediocre cars.
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

can't believe some of you get idiot out of that way of thinking. Whether it be because somebody is a cheapskate, wants a better "deal", or whatever, then you have to be willing to accept that responsibility. I wouldn't say idiot though.

When I bought my car I made sure it had 2 years of full warranty left as well as 2 add'l years of CPO. That was worth me paying a few thousand more than private party sale, auction, or even "Ford" dealer price. That piece of mind alone was worth it.
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:33 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Totally concur. My statement was merely one that only $8K is great for a new motor. My stance on the engine grenade discussion is one that has been clearly stated.....if you buy a car rgardless of the PPI done that has no history, came from an auction, bought from a Ford dealer, 4th owner, etc, etc, etc, then you have NO gripe against Porsche for a free one if you are OUTSIDE of the warranty period. With that said I would only buy one of these cars (since they are so pricey to own) as a new car with a full warranty or a CPO car so I have time to determine if the car is a keeper or not with an "insurance policy" during that time.
I'm not arguing that Porsche owes him a new engine. I'm saying that there shouldn't be engines grenading in the first place.

I've had many Porsches, from 944, 951's, SC, Carrera, 964s, 993... NEVER have I had any major issues with any of my cars, and I have always tracked them very hard. Every model has its own weaknesses (wet sump 944s, water pumps, etc), SC chain tensioners, early 964 DMF and head leaks, etc... but these are easy fixes, many DIYers can handle these quite easily... But on an M96 car, if you have a problem, you have to replace everything. Engine problem? Replace engine. Transmission problem? Replace transmission. No alternatives.

You chastize this guy for going to an independant shop to install the new engine? Should he have expected the new engine to blow up in 1000 miles? Should Porsche owners have to approach maintenance and repairs from a "I know this is going to break again soon, so I better cover my ***" viewpoint? Is that what makes Porsche ownership so great?
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:35 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I don't think Bob's actions (buying a Porsche at a Ford dealer) warrant the harshness of the responses here.

I think sometimes you see something as a good deal, but a risk. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not.

I personally would not buy a Sony TV from a non-authorized dealer, so it's no surprise that I would stick with buying a 911 from Porsche. The exception would be if I knew the previous owner - then I wouldn't have a problem with a private sale, otherwise the risk vs. reward is too high for me.

Rob
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pcar964
Should Porsche owners have to approach maintenance and repairs from a "I know this is going to break again soon, so I better cover my ***" viewpoint? Is that what makes Porsche ownership so great?
Sad, but that is true. And again, there again is the reason I bought with an "insurance policy". I lucked otu and have a keeper!
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:41 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

so I have to ask, do you plan on keeping your 996 after the warranty is up?
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Of course. Couldn't be happier. Besdies, I own the car and the difference between what I would get for it and what a new one costs is far greater than $8K!!!!
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

This entire argument is the same as the one I always hear in the high end home theater segment. I worked with a local company to do all my home theater stuff and they TOTALLY take care of me (warranty issues, FAQ, tech advice, etc.). But what realy irks them and when they act as has been discussed in this thread (dealer denying coverage or help) is when mr smart shopper, mr looking for a deal, or mr cheapskate, goes elsewhere to buy their product and then aks for assistance from the very dealer that they didn't buy from. Remember, the dealers are NOT Porsche, they are merely local businesses that operate a for profit company. If PCNA/PAG denies a good will or out of warranty claim guess who has to eat it? The dealer. If your dealer is good enough and you have a great relationship with him over time then chances are GOOD that you will be taken care of in your time of need. That is the very reason I have bought 2 cars from my local dealer and will buy my 3rd in the spring from them.
Old 01-12-2006 | 02:56 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Guys, this is nuts. Someone please show me the STATISTICAL evidence that Porsche 996 cars grenade at a higher rate than other cars. All of the evidence is superficial and anecdotal, predominantly originating from drivers who have had this proplem and are emotionally irritated.

Here's the deal with this forum. People come to it as purists/passionistas, mod lovers seeking advice, and those who have had problems that want to solve them. EVERYONE else, as represented by our small proportion calculated by the number of subscribers here divided by the total number of Pcars on the road, drives around with a grin on their face.

This is insane. Perhaps we all want things to last forever but they often don't. I bought a new computer a 3 years ago. Last year, it started to go haywire. Dell didn't offer to repair for free REGARDLESS of how nicely I treated it. It was AFTER warranty. Frankly, repairs were more than just buying a new laptop. CAN ANY OF YOU IMAGINE HAVING TO BUY A NEW PORSCHE? (Sorry Bob, given what you spent, you could have bought a new Porsche).

It's like Dell says, if you don't know EVERYTHING about the car from the time it was built until the time you have a problem after warranty, don't expect any sympathy from Porsche. They are in business to make money, no run a charity keeping 996s on the road forever. And frankly, even if you do have the car from build date until a problem arises, after the warranty is gone, you are on YOUR OWN. Yes, it would be nice if some dealers and PCNA help you out, but that is called GOOD WILL. Many of you need to grow up. Seriously, I understand if you're pissed, but just say so. Don't go running around blaming anyone but yourself for buying without warranty a car whose history may be questionable. And this isn't to say that if I have a RMS failure or engine blow on me that I won't be upset; instead, I'll try to negotiate as best I can with PCNA and the dealer. If all else fails, I'll have to pony up the money for a new engine from PORSCHE (again, notice who I am going to buy from Bob) that will carry 2 yrs warranty for me to discover if a problem still exists.

What's the moral? If you don't like it, go buy a Vette. They NEVER have problems with their pushrod engines (btw, that is dripping with sarcasm).

Old 01-12-2006 | 02:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nycebo
I bought a new computer a 3 years ago. Last year, it started to go haywire. Dell didn't offer to repair for free REGARDLESS of how nicely I treated it. It was AFTER warranty. Frankly, repairs were more than just buying a new laptop. CAN ANY OF YOU IMAGINE HAVING TO BUY A NEW PORSCHE? (Sorry Bob, given what you spent, you could have bought a new Porsche).
Sorry about that, send it on over and I will take care of it!
Old 01-12-2006 | 03:02 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Sorry about that, send it on over and I will take care of it!
You're Michael Dell?

Quick Reply: Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?