Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006 | 01:55 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

JimB-don't tell me you'll do ice racing too? I'm so not worthy : (. Regards. Mike
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:04 AM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

UPDATE: Well, today I spoke to the guy at Circle Imports. He said his district manager (the guy who he informed about my problem) requested to see my service records, specifically whether or not I have proof of an oil change during my ownership. I went down there and gave him all of the paperwork from my PPI (which cost over $500 at a Porsche Dealer), and the reciepts and description of ALL of the work that was done after the PPI to make the car perfect. The only repair I did not do was a RMS leak which was very minor and to this day it has never leaked a drop on the ground. He then tried to contact MotorWorks in Chicago (the dealer who originally sold and serviced the car) but they also told him to pound sand, but they told him the car was serviced "regularly" by a "very good customer" and he turned the job of obtaining the records over to the district manager.

I am not getting my hopes up at all but at least they are going to look things over and examine the cars' history before telling me "NO."

Mine IS an early 1999 (manufacture date listed at 11/98) so maybe it was one of the ones that was re-sleeved early on and has failed again? Who knows.

As for the specific problem, they just said "it needs a new motor." I will try to find out specifically what type of failure it is, but another mechanic said it sounds like a slipped sleeve.

Keep your fingers crossed - I will write more as info comes in.
Old 01-06-2006 | 07:24 AM
fast1
Race Car

Guys, it's simple: if the car is out of warranty (bumper-to-bumper, drivetrain, etc), we are out of luck

Not necessarily. I'm not a lawyer but I know that there are a few Rennlist members who are and maybe they can enlighten us on "implied warranty." Suppose for example that I have a car with low mileage that is out of warranty because of the time factor, and that I never abused the car and I maintenaned it according to factory recommendations. Now if the engine fails on that car because of an apparent manufacturing flaw, I'm not certain that the manufacturer can simply tell the owner of that car that you are out of luck because your warranty has expired.
Old 01-06-2006 | 07:35 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

For all our sakes I hope they stand behind their motors and give you some kind of break!! Thanks for the update.
Old 01-06-2006 | 09:37 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Exclamation Warranties and engine failure

Originally Posted by fast1
Now if the engine fails on that car because of an apparent manufacturing flaw, I'm not certain that the manufacturer can simply tell the owner of that car that you are out of luck because your warranty has expired.
It will take an act of God for Porsche to admit that it is a manufacturing flaw that cannot easily be resolved with a newly configured RMS (3rd generation now?) and newly configured intermediate shaft cap seal. Indeed, it begs the question if your motor was even impacted by RMS and not something else entirely. Unless any of us are trained mechanics and have visually inspected your car, we're going on anecdotal evidence.

That said, it's worth reading the PCNA warranty manual in detail. Here is their warranty booklet. You'll notice inside that it states a couple of interesting things (and these are all quotes but I apologize for any typos in advance):

1. Components and/or parts that fail during racing and driving evetns (including Porsche sponsored events) will not be covered by the manufacturer new car limited warranty.
TIP: Do not ever tell your dealer that you track your car if you hope to have repairs executed under warranty, new car, CPO, or otherwise. You're basically relying on their goodwill.

2. PCNA provides and alternate dispite resolution mechanism, the National Center for Dispute Settlement. NCDS can be reached at (866) 767-7244.
TIP: If you have a problem with PCNA, try calling NCDS.

3. This Warranty Does Not Cover (Page 9 of Booklet)
TIP: Read this page in detail. The warranty does NOT cover a lot of things.

4. Warranty only lasts 4 years or 50,000 miles. A CPO is good for another 2 years and 100,000 miles.
TIP: CPO is not overrated. Ignore everyone who makes this statement. One RMS repair pays for a CPO.

Anyway, you guys get the idea. At some point, Porsche has to cut us loose. They can't keep repairing our cars for free ad infinitum. The part that is confusing to me in regards to the above is the engine replacement. If a RMS replacement resolves the issue in most cases, then why is engine replacement even necessary? What other problem was/might have been encountered? And if the engine does require replacement, perhaps it is a TRUE defect that Porsche SHOULD consider replacing for free. Mind you, a new engine for $7500 + installation expense is a pretty damn good deal if you ask me.

I guess what I am trying to say is that you should definitely make your case, and consider going to arbitration with NCDS. But if you or the prior owner was ultimately responsible for juicing the car and wrecking it somehow, then I'm sorry, but you, NOT PCNA, will be buying that new engine. For your sake, I hope that's not the case. Do keep us posted and keep track of everyone you talk to so that you can set a precedent for others.

Cheers, and good luck.
Old 01-06-2006 | 11:54 AM
bobporsche996
Pro

that's what happened with my second engine... with 8,000 miles on it, one of the cylinders came out of the sleeve lining, and had to be replaced... what would exactly cause this to happen? anyone with technical knowledge? can driving/service cause this? or is this a faulty manufactured engine?
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by nycebo
On an aside, I love the comparisons to 1.8L Honda motors. Go buy one if you love their efficiency and reliability. Sometimes, passion costs. Frankly, if you go by my relationship with my girlfriend, passion cost a lot!
That is so true!
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:52 PM
jury_ca
Pro

Bob, I keep hearing of your 2nd new engine failing shortly after being installed. Isn't it true, that any new motor from Porsche would be warrantied for at least an additional year?
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:55 PM
jdk1
Instructor

What date range 996’s were effected by the cylinder sleeve lining problem? Mine was manufactured 12/98. The servicing dealer wouldn't turn over the service records during my PPI when I bought the car from a private party (they claimed legal issues), but they indicated that there was never and RMS problem, etc. 51.5K miles right now.

Joe - Don't even get me going on Motor Werks. They're on my list right now.... With a 99 and similar mileage I feel for you and wish you the best. Please keep us updated.

Old 01-06-2006 | 12:55 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Yes, that's true. Often times people will get a used replacement motor. Pay now or pay later
Old 01-06-2006 | 12:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Bob, I keep hearing of your 2nd new engine failing shortly after being installed. Isn't it true, that any new motor from Porsche would be warrantied for at least an additional year?
If I am not mistaken, Bob had that done at a local shop rather than the dealer so he would not be eligible for the 2 year warranty.
Old 01-06-2006 | 02:09 PM
bobporsche996
Pro

yes, i took the cheap route, and got the replacement motor done at a independant porsche shop.. learned the hard way.. $145 an hour at the local porsche dealer here just pissed me off.. when mechanics start making more than attorneys, something is definately not right..
Old 01-06-2006 | 04:00 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Bob, it's not the mechanic that is making that $145 an hour--it is the dealer. The mechanic is paid a wage but I do concur that $145 and hour is ludicrous!
Old 01-06-2006 | 04:12 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bob, it's not the mechanic that is making that $145 an hour--it is the dealer. The mechanic is paid a wage but I do concur that $145 and hour is ludicrous!
i'm lucky mu local opc is only $90 an hour

I was shocked however when i was in the Uk recently to find out from my local BMW dealer they charge 140 POUNDS and hour - $240!!!!! I nearly fainted in shock
Old 01-06-2006 | 04:46 PM
pl
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobporsche996
yes, i took the cheap route, and got the replacement motor done at a independant porsche shop.. learned the hard way.. $145 an hour at the local porsche dealer here just pissed me off.. when mechanics start making more than attorneys, something is definately not right..
labor rate $145? are those tech. from Mars?
the porsche service i used yesterday rate is $100, very friendly. answer my phone 5 times a day without getting mad

Quick Reply: Replacement 996 motor out of warranty?