Orange Cap Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 06:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
How about a sound clip!
How about a video clip of him driving around with the window rolled down so everyone can hear the mean sounds of a cammed 454 coming from a 996
Old 04-25-2005, 07:19 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that called a Porschev!
Old 04-25-2005, 08:36 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell

Jim, you crack me up.....I can always count on you for a good laugh when I log on to Rennlist.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:53 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To LVdell A bra can damage your paint due to poor installation or removal. The orange cap is harmless. The Germans had to meet certain noise standards so they put in a baffel chamber. The orange cap just blocks the baffel. Right on JimPDX
Old 04-26-2005, 02:42 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mundman
How about a sound clip!
Ahh, the lost talent of youth.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:06 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Unfortunately, Swiss noise laws have made the ROW suffer via Weissach universal design. Blocking off the baffle in the airbox for a zero $ investment could be srutinized as better use of capital than a PSE for a similar sound enhancement goal and equal neutrality in performance gain. I for one admire the ingenuity of the first Porsche owner who figured this out. He was the kid with playing cards in the spokes vs. the VROOM device on his bike. We are all just children at heart.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:22 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

::background::
the wrx has a recirculating blow off valve - which means the air released gets routed back to the intake, so when you let off the throttle you don't get the cool "whooosh" sound of those aftermarket turbo cars.

anyway, i unplugged the recirculating hose and shoved a rag in it instead, so the air vented to the atmosphere. car ran like **** but made that cool sound. i had it like that for about an hr before i got annoyed with it.

this is what the orange mod reminds me of....ahhh the days
Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry to join the party late, but i hvae a question. Is this "baffle" a heimholtz resonator?
These resonators are added to the intake tract to both quiet it and actually increase torque. IIRC they are sized to equal the volume of one cylinder in the engine. Somehow they help "pulse tune" the intake so that it creates a subtle ram effect in the intake charge. I'd bet a buck that's what you guys are plugging.

Anybody know what the plugged resonator is actually designed to do? Are folks sure it's only about quieting the intake?
Has anybody dyno'd this change before and after?

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Oh, and you guys are hacks. I mean that as a compliment
Old 04-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by penguinking
::background::
the wrx has a recirculating blow off valve - which means the air released gets routed back to the intake, so when you let off the throttle you don't get the cool "whooosh" sound of those aftermarket turbo cars.

anyway, i unplugged the recirculating hose and shoved a rag in it instead, so the air vented to the atmosphere. car ran like **** but made that cool sound. i had it like that for about an hr before i got annoyed with it.

this is what the orange mod reminds me of....ahhh the days
Having had an '02 WRX, I used a silencer delete elbow in the airbox which cost money as compared to the free orange cap which is more applicable to this thread. Venting metered air out of your BPV to atmoshere to sound fast and furious is a little different being that it confuses the ECM and messes up your A/F ratio having a detrimental effect on performance. Apples and oranges, IMHO. I equate your analogy to a kid who puts bricks in his spokes vs. playing cards.

WRX Silencer Delete Elbow
Old 04-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by stiles_s
Sorry to join the party late, but i hvae a question. Is this "baffle" a heimholtz resonator?
These resonators are added to the intake tract to both quiet it and actually increase torque. IIRC they are sized to equal the volume of one cylinder in the engine. Somehow they help "pulse tune" the intake so that it creates a subtle ram effect in the intake charge. I'd bet a buck that's what you guys are plugging.

Anybody know what the plugged resonator is actually designed to do? Are folks sure it's only about quieting the intake?
Has anybody dyno'd this change before and after?

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Oh, and you guys are hacks. I mean that as a compliment
No, those are exhaust resonators.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Re-animator
Racer

Here is a pic of the airbox baffle.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:12 AM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

oh i know it confuses the maf. i was just doing it for fun =P. i removed the intake silencer but didn't buy that elbow piece. believe me, my wrx was already too fast and furious for me to want it to sound any faster lol. i could turn lap times several seconds faster in the wrx than i can in my porsche now.

btw, i accomplished the same thing as the elbow piece by simply cutting off the resonator part of the silencer, sealing off the bottom, and using the upper piece as a connector for the front scoop that leads into the fenderwell.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:57 AM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Hey for those who have received the orange caps. How long did they take to arrive?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Re-animator
Racer

Originally Posted by mdillian3690
Hey for those who have received the orange caps. How long did they take to arrive?
5 days.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:31 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Re-animator
Here is a pic of the airbox baffle.

Yep, I'd love to see a dyno. Looks like a heimholtz resonator to me. I'd wager you're losing a bit of torque in exchange for the sound. I removed a very similar resonator on my old Miata and lost a bit of power. It sounded cool, though.

Quick Reply: Orange Cap Users