Sponsored by:

Orange Cap Users

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:42 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Thing Mod until Real Thing gets here

I took a 1 Liter Coke bottle and cut the neck off., I cut the seal ring off for safety. Put the cap on and inserted it into the intake tube( non-capped end cut to diameter of lip in small intake tube) and put it back together. I have PSE so hard to notice a huge difference in sound; but it is deeper and throatier fom approx 4k up. Now I am waiting for the Real Thing.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:33 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Please tell me you are kidding. This is not a car to have a coke and a smile in your intake. ESPECIALLY is you have PSE. Rather have a coke and a heartache when you are fishing plastic pieces out of you intake system and the bill that comes with that. If you want deeper sound get a louder exhaust or bypass pipes.

I am still baffled on this one.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:33 AM
Mitty
Racer

I put one in last summer. Very nice sound at WoT.
I removed the cap in January when I took the car into the shop for an odd engine noise. The engine had to be replaced due to a main rod bearing failure. Not the fault of the orange cap. I kinda forgot about the cap since I got the car back. Think I'll put it back in. Thanks for the reminder mdillian3690.
When I had it in, my friends couldn’t tell a difference, but I could. So it is not a loud sound.
To answer your questions:
Positives: Can hear a nice rush of air coming from the engine at WoT. Free.
Negatives: I have a cheesy orange plastic plug in my air intake system.
Try it, quick and easy.

-Darren

Last edited by Mitty; 04-24-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Darren, I'll pass. PSE for me is plenty. If I was low on cash and didn't have PSE then I would consider it.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:52 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Mitty, No problem. I ordered two samples and can't wait to try it also. I wouldn't mind having a little bit of deeper sound and better throttle response. Eventually, I will get a cold air intake system.

p.s. In MI it is snowing! sucks!
Old 04-23-2005, 11:39 PM
StanSoph
Racer

Originally Posted by LVDell
Please tell me you are kidding. This is not a car to have a coke and a smile in your intake. ESPECIALLY is you have PSE. Rather have a coke and a heartache when you are fishing plastic pieces out of you intake system and the bill that comes with that. If you want deeper sound get a louder exhaust or bypass pipes.

I am still baffled on this one.
The portion of the Coke bottle and the lid are not going to go in the engine. I am positive of this.The orange cap fits perfectly which is great; it is however a piece of plastic subject to the same forces as my section of plastic bottle. I appreciate your concern. I have been an aircraft mechanic both for major airlines and fortune 500 corporations for 20 years, it is my nature not to leave things to chance. My Coke bottle works until I can find a substitute or my orange caps come in the mail. I am thinking of milling an aluminum plug. I thought some people that were orange capless might like the Coke bottle DIY.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Oh please, save the "fortune 500" lines for somebody else. Those that have to spout off like that are only that much more second guessing of their comment to begin with.

My take is one of my personal stance on this. I have no desire to wedge a piece of $.25 plastic in the intake of my $100K car. Result? .........Then we will just have to agree to disagree. Listen, like I said already, if you have PSE (or the like) then why in the world do something like this.

BTW, what in the world is a hacked PSE?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:17 AM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

LVDell....the Orange Cap can actually make the PSE sound better. Hard to believe, but before I had the SC I had the O-Cap and PSE and it sound better w/the cap.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:25 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Oh please, save the "fortune 500" lines for somebody else. Those that have to spout off like that are only that much more second guessing of their comment to begin with.

My take is one of my personal stance on this. I have no desire to wedge a piece of $.25 plastic in the intake of my $100K car. Result? .........Then we will just have to agree to disagree. Listen, like I said already, if you have PSE (or the like) then why in the world do something like this.

BTW, what in the world is a hacked PSE?
I don't get the first part of me unsure of spouting off. The "hacked" PSE is , wait I am going to deliberately destroy part of my $110k car,are you sure you can handle this? I took a relay out of my car, took it apart and cut a diode connection, reassembled and viola'. PSE is on all the time with no speed sensed cut out.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Stan you are quite the wisecracker aren't you? If you can't understand my post then there is nothing I can do for you about that. As for your PSE...that is a common hack that alot of people do when they have PSE ordered with the car from delivery so the 30-45mph cutoff goes away just didn't understand the hacked addition to your sig. It sounded like you created some "new" PSE (others have tried to create their own PSE) which is why I asked.

Anyway, nothing that you have said is going to convince me to jam a piece of plastic into my intake. Simple risk-reward analysis and I chose not to. Simple as that. Enjoy your plastic in the intake mod.

Kirby, I am sure it sounds better, but once again, PSE sounds great to begin with and my stance is why risk any possible damage by jamming a piece of plastic in the intake?

Oh well, I guess this is a thread for those wanting to do this mod and share info about it.....so, if I have offended anybody sitting out on my island alone the I truly apologize.

Stan, nothing personal, just trying to understand this better and so far nobody has given anything other than "it sounds better" to justify it. Trust me, I am a mod junkie but this just raised all kinds of red flags for me.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

well i suppose with any Mod i'm sure something could go wrong.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:57 PM
Re-animator
Racer

For the record, I haven't been able to find one post on anyone's engine ingesting the cap. I tried all kinds of search criteria. "orange cap catastrophe" "orange cap destruction" "orange cap anti-christ" and I got nothing back. TEE HEE.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:09 PM
StanSoph
Racer

LVDell, no offense taken. I am a smart a$$, sorry from here if warranted. I wish I could create a new PSE; then I might have enough $$ for a Carrera GT. You are right to be careful about what you stick in your engine and your ears ( nothing sharper than your elbow or a Q-Tip). Maybe subconsciously I am trying to destroy my engine so I can go crazy with the rebuild. My wife would never understand how part of a Coke bottle got into the engine and smoked it. What is a mystery to her would further my cause as it being a fluke and a million to one odds that something like that could happen. An overhaul would be in order with suitable steps taken to gaurd against any such unfortunate accidents that might occur in the future. Hence a good foundation to approach the rebuild angle; certainly with aftermarket parts that could withstand the rigors of an ingested plasic bottle i.e. RUF, Andial, etc.. Now that the engine dillema is solved, what about the tranny............Anyone know any mods that I can mod?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by StanSoph
Now that the engine dillema is solved, what about the tranny............

Cheers,
Dell
Old 04-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Res Ips
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stan you are quite the wisecracker aren't you? If you can't understand my post then there is nothing I can do for you about that. As for your PSE...that is a common hack that alot of people do when they have PSE ordered with the car from delivery so the 30-45mph cutoff goes away just didn't understand the hacked addition to your sig. It sounded like you created some "new" PSE (others have tried to create their own PSE) which is why I asked.

Anyway, nothing that you have said is going to convince me to jam a piece of plastic into my intake. Simple risk-reward analysis and I chose not to. Simple as that. Enjoy your plastic in the intake mod.

Kirby, I am sure it sounds better, but once again, PSE sounds great to begin with and my stance is why risk any possible damage by jamming a piece of plastic in the intake?

Oh well, I guess this is a thread for those wanting to do this mod and share info about it.....so, if I have offended anybody sitting out on my island alone the I truly apologize.

Stan, nothing personal, just trying to understand this better and so far nobody has given anything other than "it sounds better" to justify it. Trust me, I am a mod junkie but this just raised all kinds of red flags for me.

Hey Dell...

This is so funny!!

Like you said to me (about what to me is the funniest thing in the world a Porsche car owner can do, i.e., ) doing a clear bra, is a matter of personal preference. I respectfully submit so is this orange cap...in the end...does it really matter. If it blows air up their pipes well, that's kool...

Jim

Quick Reply: Orange Cap Users