996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Type 2 over rev values and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would he do that? Better to take your chances and then deal with it after there is a problem. If you ask them to put it in writing they will, and they they won't fix the car for sure.

Tool Pants -- yes if the car is abused then the warranty shouldn't cover it. The grey area is around whether tracking my car could cause the radio to fail, etc... Where do you distinguish between what could be abuse from tracking the car and what is a manufacturing defect?

For instance, my car (as I've mentioned) blows clouds of wafting smoke occasionally on the track. This is with a new/rebuilt motor that I got from PCNA after several RMS problems. My old motor was just fine, great in fact, it just leaked oil. Under warranty they replaced it with this hunk of crap rebuild. Now they are saying that the rebuild could be messed up because I tracked the car. BS!!!!

I would never buy stock in a tobacco company, its immoral. Porsche is becomming very shady, and as much as I like the car, I'm not sure they deserve my money anymore.

My vote for the jump-the-shark moment was making 1/2 of the 996 and the 986 the same car.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:17 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
I think it would be easier and cheaper simply to say your DME was stolen, get a new one, and use the old one for tracking. Put the new one in for regular driving.

Sorry it's not that easy. The DME is programmed with a code that the imobilizer must see to start the car. The imboilizer has remotes programed to it that have transpoder codes that it must see to allow a connection between the DME and imobilizer.

You would a matched set of all and then hope that transfering didn't interupt anything or you'll need a hook to get home.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:20 AM
c4bliss
Racer

considering i just bought my P-car, i am not going to bother trying to get it in writing. Enough said that they will void the warranty if it is tracked. I will just not risk blowing something up, accidentally downshifting or similar, on my first try at tracking it to watch this car go down the toliet. Not worth it just to track.. though i must admit, i was SERIOUSLY looking forward to playing on a track with it.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:35 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry it's not that easy. The DME is programmed with a code that the imobilizer must see to start the car. The imboilizer has remotes programed to it that have transpoder codes that it must see to allow a connection between the DME and imobilizer.

You would a matched set of all and then hope that transfering didn't interupt anything or you'll need a hook to get home.

I didn't know that. I learned something new. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:42 AM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

How long were the warranties on these old 911s that never had a problem under warranty?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
I may buy a Cayanne, but not likely another new Porsche I want to take to the track, until this philospohy goes away.
if you think this philosophy is bad, just wait until you get a cayenne if it is nearly as crapily built (and designed) as our turbo one is. ya gotta love over 100 TSBs on the POS for barely two model years so far (03s were very short production)! and this is just on the street, i wonder how bad it would fall apart on the track!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:02 AM
Moogle
Race Car

wow theres already been 104 cayenne TSBs... haha

most of them are pretty serious issues too

cayenne is plagued with problems, little to big, i'd avoid it like the plague.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:13 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

OT: Since folks are sounding off... I've had no real problems with my CS (5/03 build), PCNA took care of the little ones. It's the best SUV I've ever owned and I use it as a truck.

Just my .02
Old 02-15-2005, 03:17 AM
Moogle
Race Car

must be lucky Torags, i just had a cayenne loaner a few weeks ago, the squeaks, rattles, etc drove me crazy.

dont even get me started on all the things wrong with the transmission/drivetrain.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:41 AM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

I read through the warranty book last night. Technically, they can refuse to fix your car under warranty if you speed. The book says "It is the owner's responsibility to operate the vehicle on reasonable road surfaces and within the speed limit"...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:56 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Maybe that is next,,,,,car tells porsche tech that you hit triple digits and the outside temp was over 100 too, and they refuse to fix your leaking coolant tank.............

Never know!
Old 02-15-2005, 01:52 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the warranty on my 90C2 cab was 3yrs/36,000. I was invited to track that car at a sponsored Porsche event with only a $100 dealer inspection before the event. My only problem with that car was a leaky fuel neck that allowed fuel to run under the left rear tire on hard right corners. That was interesting, but covered under warranty.
It will be interseting to see Chevrolet's position on the new ZO6. I'm betting they will stand behind everything except "wear" components (brakes, clutch). AS
Old 02-15-2005, 01:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moogle
wow theres already been 104 cayenne TSBs... haha

most of them are pretty serious issues too

cayenne is plagued with problems, little to big, i'd avoid it like the plague.
Oh sure, NOW you tell me
Old 02-15-2005, 02:03 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

It will be very interesting to see the position Corvette takes on warrantee issues. The driveline of the Z06 has been strengthened and there are both transmission and differential oil coolers not on the normal Corvette so Chevy is planning for some hard use.

Vipers are regularly tracked and the ASC version was a specific track car, are Viper owners being denied warrantee due to track use?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:07 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Any indication Porsche is less uptight about GT3s being tracked?

Quick Reply: Type 2 over rev values and warranty