996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Type 2 over rev values and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:27 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend lost his case and just like Skip, he has stayed away because he is so pissed off at Porsche and the local Dealer.

Basically all I can say is the arbitrator claimed Porsche proved he abused it and therefore sided with Porsche as to not buy the car back.

The car smoked since new and this is total crap in my opinion. The local dealer sales rep goes down to the autocross and brings a brand new Boxster...Lets people rip it up for fun and it is not even broken in. The fact that the local dealer sponsors these events and then turns their back on him is crazy. He is an instructor for the club for goodness sake...do you think he is some yahoo who is out their grinding gears etc.

All I can say is you better kiss your dealers butt in regards to your warranty and never show them you know more than they do when it comes to their own product.

They said the smoking is normal and that they could not fix it...2 RMS's later they claim abuse and throw him under the bus...........

Buyers beware...if you track your car and miss one step you could be out of a warranty!
Robert
Old 03-02-2005, 11:55 AM
HAMMER502
Instructor

IF YOU MAKE THE MISTAKE WHY SHOULD PORSCHE FOOT THE BILL FOR THE REPAIR?IF YOU WANNA DO DE EVENTS THATS FINE,BUT AUTOCROSS EVENTS ARE COMPETITION,AND YOU SHOULD BE WILLING TO FOOT THE BILL FOR REPAIRS.JUST BECAUSE THEY ADVERTISE THE CARS WITH THE RACING HERITAGE DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE RACE CARS.I AGREE THAT IT IS WRONG BUT THE OWNERS SHOULD TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY WHEN THEY MAKE A MISTAKE(RANGE 2 OVERREV).WERE THE OVERREVS AT A TIME CLOSE TO THE DEALER DENYING THE CLAIM(WHAT WERE THE OPERATING HOURS WHEN THE CAR WAS IN THE SHOP,AND WHEN THE OVERREV OCCURED)?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HAMMER502
IF YOU MAKE THE MISTAKE WHY SHOULD PORSCHE FOOT THE BILL FOR THE REPAIR?IF YOU WANNA DO DE EVENTS THATS FINE,BUT AUTOCROSS EVENTS ARE COMPETITION,AND YOU SHOULD BE WILLING TO FOOT THE BILL FOR REPAIRS.JUST BECAUSE THEY ADVERTISE THE CARS WITH THE RACING HERITAGE DOESN'T MEAN THAT THEY ARE RACE CARS.I AGREE THAT IT IS WRONG BUT THE OWNERS SHOULD TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY WHEN THEY MAKE A MISTAKE(RANGE 2 OVERREV).WERE THE OVERREVS AT A TIME CLOSE TO THE DEALER DENYING THE CLAIM(WHAT WERE THE OPERATING HOURS WHEN THE CAR WAS IN THE SHOP,AND WHEN THE OVERREV OCCURED)?
It's real simple, the car was brought in shortly after it was bought but well before it's first autocross for the smoking issue! Further, while Sean was #1 in the autocross competition, rss996 was #3 and neither his nor any other 996/7s in the club exhibit this trait. How come the PDE cars that are POUNDED day in and day out ON THE TRACK at the limit (and beyond) from brand new on don't exhibit this trait and how come they are peddled to the unsuspecting public fully warrantied as would be any other street 996/7?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Yeah, Hammer you are missing the point (and the caps lock key). My car was fine until they replaced the motor because of the RMS. Now my motor smokes on the track and they say it’s from track use and they won't fix it. BS, this happened on the first few laps of the first run session that I drove the new motor. After 20+ track days on the old motor I never had a problem. I followed the break-in procedures religiously.

The point is NOT that these people are abusing their cars, the point is that Porsche is playing dirty and making excuses for low quality. It's a business and all they care about now is money (sounds like my ex). If more people drove their 996/986's the way we do (street and track), this would be a bigger issue. Most people put them in their garages, drive them a few thousand miles a year, and never rev over 4000 rpm. Those are Porsche's most important demographic because those people pay way too much money for brand new C4S's and never drive them, so they never have problems.

We are the exception my friends, and we are being left behind.

I'm beginning to think that as more 996's go out of warranty and more peoples' warranties are cancelled, we will hear about class action lawsuits. Some lawyers specialize in making class action lawsuits for frivolous complaints. In our case I think we have legitimate complaints, and it’s relatively clear who is at fault.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darren
Yeah, Hammer you are missing the point (and the caps lock key). My car was fine until they replaced the motor because of the RMS. Now my motor smokes on the track and they say it’s from track use and they won't fix it. BS, this happened on the first few laps of the first run session that I drove the new motor. After 20+ track days on the old motor I never had a problem. I followed the break-in procedures religiously.

The point is NOT that these people are abusing their cars, the point is that Porsche is playing dirty and making excuses for low quality. It's a business and all they care about now is money (sounds like my ex). If more people drove their 996/986's the way we do (street and track), this would be a bigger issue. Most people put them in their garages, drive them a few thousand miles a year, and never rev over 4000 rpm. Those are Porsche's most important demographic because those people pay way too much money for brand new C4S's and never drive them, so they never have problems.

We are the exception my friends, and we are being left behind.

I'm beginning to think that as more 996's go out of warranty and more peoples' warranties are cancelled, we will hear about class action lawsuits. Some lawyers specialize in making class action lawsuits for frivolous complaints. In our case I think we have legitimate complaints, and it’s relatively clear who is at fault.
Incidentally, Sean is on his third failed RMS in a year.
Old 03-02-2005, 01:08 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In reading all the posts, until we hear from Sean himself,( the story, so far as reported is a little sketchy) the error he made was accepting delivery on a new car that smoked and then taking it to the track, with the knowledge of the dealer. Generally, if a car is billowing smoke, you probably shouldn't track/ax it, you're just giving them ammo. The type 2's were just icing on the cake for Porsche. JMO
Old 03-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Darren I think you're right on. Additionally state attorney generals might be interested in persuing disclosure requirements. PAG would have to disclose this to every new buyer and get a sign off on it. What do you think that would do to sales?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:14 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
In reading all the posts, until we hear from Sean himself,( the story, so far as reported is a little sketchy) the error he made was accepting delivery on a new car that smoked and then taking it to the track, with the knowledge of the dealer. Generally, if a car is billowing smoke, you probably shouldn't track/ax it, you're just giving them ammo. The type 2's were just icing on the cake for Porsche. JMO
Doesn't seem too sketchy to me. The car didn't smoke RIGHT after he took delivery but shortly after and before AX'g it. He decided to AX it because the dealer told him the smoking was "normal". After several people asked him at AX if his car was on fire owing to the plumes of smoke pouring from it, he became more adamant it wasn't "normal". There was a single low rev type 2 not 2"'s".

Quick Reply: Type 2 over rev values and warranty