Sponsored by:

Type 2 over rev values and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 06:58 PM
seanjd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type 2 over rev values and warranty

Anyone seen values for the type 2 over rev? If so, at what miles/hours . . .

Mine had a value of 127 at around 450 hours which Porsche is claiming confirms abuse . . . 127 engine firings over red line (if I'm understanding this right) . . . that's only .35 of a second at 7200 rpm . . .

Info . . . anyone . . . Please!

Sean
Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 PM
leedav
Three Wheelin'

What is type 2? Is that on a downshift?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:32 PM
seanjd
Track Day

yep . . I don't think type 1's are an issue?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Type 1's are not an issue.

I don't think a few fractions of a second once should count as abuse. Unfortunately, the definition of "abuse" is up to the Porsche dealer and regional rep. Even a microsecond of type 2 can be classified as abuse if they so desire. And there lies the rub.

Dealer input counts a lot. If they insist it's abuse, your only recourse is either to threaten or actually file a lawsuit.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:30 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Better not rev these cars up to high or else your warranty will go bye-bye!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
Better not rev these cars up to high or else your warranty will go bye-bye!
Revving your car and putting it into too low of a gear are pretty different things. Type twos are bad news. Obviously they design the engine with a RPM limit in mind and when you're hitting range two, you're past the mechanical limits of the engine. You're engine isnt going to explode if you hit some range twos but stress on the engine is exponentially greater when you're increasing rpms past the tolerance of the engine.

Out of curiosity, I wondering how many range 1's this guy has, and why hes at the dealership in the first place.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:48 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

he had a type 2 reading of 127. I think that is one occurance per an expert in our club.

He was at dealership because his car billows smoke out of its tailpipes after a hard run at the autocross....2 RMS's as well.....smoking issue is what Porsche is denying and claiming is from abuse!
Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
paneraiwatches
Instructor

Go to another dealer!! No question..
Old 02-11-2005, 01:25 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Robert Santangelo
he had a type 2 reading of 127. I think that is one occurance per an expert in our club.

He was at dealership because his car billows smoke out of its tailpipes after a hard run at the autocross....2 RMS's as well.....smoking issue is what Porsche is denying and claiming is from abuse!
Yeah but how many range 1s? If hes got a ton of range 1's you could imagine why they would be cautious.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:28 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Would putting in the clutch at WOT trigger a type one or two, always wondered about that, kind of like missing a shift?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Would putting in the clutch at WOT trigger a type one or two, always wondered about that, kind of like missing a shift?
that wouldnt trigger anything because the RPMs would likely DROP

Type 1 is when you rev the engine to the redline and the fuel cuts off (if i recall correctly, dealers don't really care about this too much, UNLESS you have a few type 2s) the software cuts the fuel off before any damage can be done, no harm no foul, but dont do it TOO many times.

Type 2 can only happen when you downshift to a gear thats too low, and the mechanics of the drivetrain force the engine to a speed thats HIGHER than redline, this is called an overrev and can serverly damage the engine over time.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:41 AM
Apx2Apx
Track Day

Is the dealer the only service center one can test his/her car for the two types of Codes. I wonder what my car reads on the computer.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:09 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

2 thoughts:
1: A missed downshift from 5th to 2nd can blow an engine in a heartbeat. I've done it with modest catastrophy in my Kurtis (a known problem of a clutch-less 4-3 downshift in a Jericho trans can beat the linkage and get 1st) and my son experienced this in my Lotus Super 7 in a driver's school when a weak centering spring allowed a 3-1 downshift when he wanted a 3-4 upshift acclelerating up the straight. That cost $10,500 in a fraction of a second when the flywheel separated from the crank after shearing every bolt. PHP, the race engine builder didn't stand behind that, and I didn't expect them to.
2. Why can't we routinely get that (overrev) information when buying a used car, especially from the dealer. Wouldn't you want to know if the previous owner downshifted into the wrong gear, and how often?
Can private shops read the DME to extract this info?

Lastly, isn't the main issue that Porsche now won't stand behind cars that are tracked? That is a complete change of philosophy, and is offensive to me. The used to imply "Our cars are so tough, you can take them form the showroom to the track" Now, the sell you on the basis of performance engineering, but if you try to use the car that way, they say "You can't use our car that way- only we can for advertising purposes" What's the point of advertising performance if it voids your warranty to experience it. It's like a dinner you can only smell but not taste. I know there was some phrase single guys use for girls who kind of do the same thing. What was that phrase? Something with "tease" on the end, I seem to recall.
I may buy a Cayanne, but not likely another new Porsche I want to take to the track, until this philospohy goes away. If we stand together on this issue, maybe our collective voice will be heard. Sorry for the rant. AS
Old 02-11-2005, 09:55 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Alexander, you are right on....If i'de have known they will use my PCA club events against me, I would have purchased an old 911 and fixed it up and beat the crap out of it for far less than 80k!

The new Porsche's are basically highly engineered grocery getters in Porsche's eyes now. Sad but true.

If you track a new Porsche, be ready for the repair bill if Porsche wakes up on the wrong side of the bed!

I still love my new car but will miss the autocross events!
Old 02-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...t=0&#entry5243

Quick Reply: Type 2 over rev values and warranty