996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil filter canister bypass disable

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2024, 07:13 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the heads up about the "filter included" error on the Rock Auto listing, we'll correct it immediately!

Tags: 996 107 225 53, 99610722553

Last edited by URO Support; 08-30-2024 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:41 PM
Siberian14
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Exclamation READ THE AD!

Originally Posted by URO Support
Thanks for the heads up about the "filter included" error on the Rock Auto listing, we'll correct it immediately!

Tags: 996 107 225 53, 99610722553
URO thanks for response! You are welcome. Just read the ad. I hope this "correct it immediately!" part goes to RockAuto. Does this change the price for RockAuto? Does the Alum. Cap THEN still have a filter with it? Yes?. No? If not, why not? The (aka) OEM plastic oil cap "kit?-deal? does come with a filter. LN Engineering hasn.t said diddly or posted their rendition details. Just asking pertinent questions.. No offense intended.
YMMV

Last edited by Siberian14; 08-30-2024 at 09:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,676 Likes on 2,121 Posts

@URO Support I just checked my Aluminum filter housing also, and just like @996love it will not screw on by hand...was very difficult to start and could only turn about 1 turn before getting impossible to turn ( even with a wrench).. I checked it on 2 different engines...

I have already modified/dissabled the by-pass on mine as shown in the pics earlier in this thread...

Here are some pics of the measurements of the URO AL and the OEM plastic filter housing... The URO Al seems to be 0.020-0.030 " larger diameter

URO AL inner thread diameter 2.954

OEM plastic inner thread diameter 2.929

URO AL outer thread diameter 3.151

OEM plastic outer thread diameter 3.134

Originally Posted by 996love
I’m very interested!!!!!!
@Charles Navarro Me too !! I would be in on the one with the solid billit Aluminum non-by-pass valve.........Nothing is " too good" for our M96 Oiling Systems..

The "epoxy filled cup" will work just fine but I had already been thinking of a solid aluminum puck, glad you are doing it !!
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
996love (Yesterday), allcool (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
allcool
Pro

Received 263 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by 996love
Bump.
I’m wondering if there’s anyone that has installed their URO oil filter housing cap. I tried to install mine, but it didn’t want to screw on by hand. I lightly attempted to further screw it on with a ratchet, but decided to stop because the required force seemed too high.
I didn’t want to destroy the threads on my engine, so I screwed on a spare, brand-new, genuine Porsche cap nearby and it went on easily by hand.
I’m not sure if I got a dud, or something.
Originally Posted by Porschetech3
@URO Support I just checked my Aluminum filter housing also, and just like @996love it will not screw on by hand...
Originally Posted by URO Support
Hi 996love, our engineers checked several pieces from our inventory, and were able to thread the covers into an OEM housing by hand
Just checked URO canister on my 996.2, same thing, won't spin on at all.
Well, now that 3 of us have problems its not a fluke 1 defective filter canister,,, thanks guys...

Threads are not compatible. Hopefully this was just a bad batch of URO incorrectly machined canisters.

Haven't done any modifications to it thankfully, as that would have been a waste of time.

URO Support, you said in an above post_ " our engineers checked several pieces from our inventory, and were able to thread the covers into an OEM housing by hand".

URO Support, I'd Like to get this corrected asap please.
So the canisters you have in stock now were checked and do fit m96 engines...? How do we get the correct replacements that will positively fit...? Scared Rock Auto will send out the same problem canister as they did the first time... Please advise
Thank you...

Last edited by allcool; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 612 Posts

The thread on the factory filter canister is a very unique beast. When we started making the spin on filter adapters it took some work to get it right so that it worked every time and on every block. That said when we are making the spin on filter adapters, and now the billet housings, we thread each one into a thread gauge to ensure they are made correctly. We do this with every drain plug as well.

Now that I know that you guys also want a version that eliminates the bypass, we'll get that into production next. I'll let everyone know when they are finished. They'll have to go out for hard anodizing after we are done machining them. We already have the soft socket made to allow you to install the canister without damaging the anodizing.
The following 3 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
996love (Yesterday), GC996 (Yesterday), Porschetech3 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM
996love
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

awesome, Awesome, AWESOME!

I’ll be waiting (impatiently ) for its release.

I’m surprised you decided to proceed into production with only a few confirmations. I was expecting you to need around 50 commitments, or so.

Quick Reply: Oil filter canister bypass disable