996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 02:16 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Coming from the Cayenne 955 side, I have had oil consumption since owning my 2005 CTT from 43,000 miles, around 1qt per 1000 miles, and it has remained the same even now at almost 100,000 miles. It hasnt created any issues, other than plugs can sometimes get the hard white carbon build up on them, so I just replace them. No misfires or poor running. Since 43k, I change my oil every 3000-4000k with a quality Euro A40 spec oil (0W40 or 5W40 Mobile one, then Castrol Edge, most recently Pentosin HPII, gonna try Penzoil Plat/Quaker State Euro 5W40, havent tired Driven oils yet).

But in my attempt to ward off potential bore scoring due to stuck piston rings, I found this thread (it is possible my issue is related to valve stem steals leaking, so not for sure from carboned up stuck piston rings).
So I see mention of this Cummins restore product. I recently came across HPL's engine oil cleaner, being discussed on BITOG, and it seems like it might be similar to this Cummins product? Its a high ester product which is introduced into the oil at 1 qt per 5 or so qts your usual oil, then run for 2000 miles and changed along with filter.
I would rather try this oil cleaner instead of resorting to an engine flush, seems like a safer option as its simply an oil ment to clean as it lubricates during a shortened OCI.
Does anyone have experience with this product or similar?
Charles, any opinion?

https://www.advlubrication.com/colle...41599501566145
The following users liked this post:
bredward (03-05-2024)
Old 12-15-2023, 07:48 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvetteboy6988
Coming from the Cayenne 955 side, I have had oil consumption since owning my 2005 CTT from 43,000 miles, around 1qt per 1000 miles, and it has remained the same even now at almost 100,000 miles. It hasnt created any issues, other than plugs can sometimes get the hard white carbon build up on them, so I just replace them. No misfires or poor running. Since 43k, I change my oil every 3000-4000k with a quality Euro A40 spec oil (0W40 or 5W40 Mobile one, then Castrol Edge, most recently Pentosin HPII, gonna try Penzoil Plat/Quaker State Euro 5W40, havent tired Driven oils yet).

But in my attempt to ward off potential bore scoring due to stuck piston rings, I found this thread (it is possible my issue is related to valve stem steals leaking, so not for sure from carboned up stuck piston rings).
So I see mention of this Cummins restore product. I recently came across HPL's engine oil cleaner, being discussed on BITOG, and it seems like it might be similar to this Cummins product? Its a high ester product which is introduced into the oil at 1 qt per 5 or so qts your usual oil, then run for 2000 miles and changed along with filter.
I would rather try this oil cleaner instead of resorting to an engine flush, seems like a safer option as its simply an oil ment to clean as it lubricates during a shortened OCI.
Charles, any opinion?

I don't have any knowledge of this product but would avoid it. I personally do not view this as safer and don't like the fact that you blend it 1:5 with any oil of your choice. There is nothing unsafe about the Cummins. In fact, I have admittedly not looked into it in detail but I believe both the Cummins/Valvoline product and the oil you provided are both ester based with high Magnesium.

The 955 utilizes an Alusil engine block which inherently makes it vulnerable to the possibility of bore scoring. An oil analysis would give you more insight into what is going on but engines can burn oil for several reasons beyond rings -- valve stem seals, AOS, turbocharger shaft seals, etc depending on the specific engine.

One thing people don't talk about much is scoring related to carbon build up, especially for DFI engines. If you look at a piston with jammed up rings the carbon build up is extremely hard and abrasive. You really don't want that running up and down your cylinder walls (where technically there is supposed to be a thin layer of oil and the piston and cylinder wall never physically touch), even in a cast iron block......

Last edited by silver_tt; 12-15-2023 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:10 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I have uoa's back to 43,000 since my ownership, everything has improved or help steady, nothing above averages, and good comments from Blackstone.
here is a pic i took while changing plugs last week. Cold engine, saw the oil in cyl 3,4,7,8, although those happened to be the cylinders at the bottom the others were all up and i didn't rotate.
no smoke after starting. But i did get a puff every once in awhile, at warm start up.
AOS is new, also have a Mishimoto catch can. Off the AOS.
Right, in addition to carbon itself, carbon freezing the rings in the wrong pisition can score the walls, thus my thought to try and clean them with this oil and not with strong solvents in the oil like typical flushes. I suppose if my problem isn't rings, then yes, even this mild ester based oil cleaner could dislodge carbon and scrape the bores, but I guess so could good oils with detergents over time.

So how is the Cummins/Valv product different and better?

Old 12-15-2023, 11:23 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

I've posted this before but will repost - https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-o...e-premium-blue

Lake Speed recommended it to me and I ran it for a shorter drain interval. Engine was and is fine but would not run the car hard with it. Given the weight, you will see slightly lower oil pressures and probably higher oil temps.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:35 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

If you have a manometer handy and your rings are beat you can usually see an indication of it in your crankcase vacuum as well.

As plpete84 says, all is fine to use it but the Valvoline Restore is not an oil you want to run a long OCI of and I personally would change my filter at least once if not more over that OCI. The Cummins product was specifically formulated to free up the rings.

Over on the Audi forums some people are using Berryman B-12 and soaking the pistons with success. But i would be careful doing that and prefer the Cummins with high doses of PEA (Techron, Injector Defender etc) instead...

Old 12-15-2023, 12:06 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

So sorry for making you repost, you didn't have to, especially since you seem bothered. No further need to add any info p.
No one shared the full valvoline product name so I had no idea what to search for. My appologies.
anyway, the HPL product sounds very similar, ester based, use it for 2000 max oci, replace filter earlier, etc. Only difference is its mixed in with current oil as opposed to all the oil like the Valv.
i would run neither option hard.
I had thought of running a high detergent disiel oil before like Rotella T but never tried it.
could also try redline 5w40 with ester.
HPL also has high ester euro ouls but they claim they are strong than the 1qt only cleaning oil.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:08 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Yep, ive seen the cylinder wash techique, but that's what i would do if consuming a qt in less than 600 miles, seems too aggressive for me at this point.
but it has worked for a lot of people to free the rings.
Ill be the guinea pig for the HPL.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:11 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Cool let us know how the experiment with HPL works out.....

The name of the Valvoline product was discussed above. It is Cummins Valvoline Restore and you can only order it from a local Cummins center. It was about $80/gallon when I checked recently and they had to special order it but could have it to me in their center, which is right by my office, the next day.
Old 12-18-2023, 10:56 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 588 Posts

Charles, any opinion?

I've used the Restore product to save an engine with Nikasil bores that was incorrectly broken in. I'm guessing it helped "deglaze" the bores and allow the rings to seal up.

However I don't think scoring of the stock Alusil or Lokasil bores is caused by stuck piston rings. I've never seen stuck piston rings, even in an engine with high oil consumption.

High Performance Lubricants is actually near me, but I've never been there. That product sounds very similar to the Restore oil.

I'd be afraid that the Restore oil might actually make things worse if you are trying to prevent or slow down bore scoring.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:08 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Thank you all for the comments.
Charles, what's the logic with the restore or similar to HPL cleaner oil making the oil consumption worse?
So just keep using Catrol Edge Euro 0w40 or 5w40 (was gonna try Quaker State Euro 5w40 next) as I have been? I add 1 bottle of ceratec every 2 oil changes. I change every 4000 miles.
again, no noise, no mis fires, only the consumption.
Give me a good resin reason to try DT40 for my consumption, Summit right down the road always has it..
EVOMMM (12-18-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 10:18 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the comments.
Charles, what's the logic with the restore or similar to HPL cleaner oil making the oil consumption worse?
So just keep using Catrol Edge Euro 0w40 or 5w40 (was gonna try Quaker State Euro 5w40 next) as I have been? I add 1 bottle of ceratec every 2 oil changes. I change every 4000 miles.
again, no noise, no mis fires, only the consumption.
Give me a good resin reason to try DT40 for my consumption, Summit right down the road always has it..
If the oil consumption is bore scoring related, yes, I would think anything like the Restore oil would indeed make the problem worse.

If you do use Ceratec, you have to use it at every oil change. It doesn't have magic molecules that stick around after you change your oil :-)

If you want to try DT40, we do ship free and sell Driven at MAP levels.
Old 12-19-2023, 10:24 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
If the oil consumption is bore scoring related, yes, I would think anything like the Restore oil would indeed make the problem worse.
I agree but it seems strange to me that if it's bore scoring for 60K miles the oil consumption is completely constant. I guess anything is possible.......

"I have had oil consumption since owning my 2005 CTT from 43,000 miles, around 1qt per 1000 miles, and it has remained the same even now at almost 100,000 miles."
Old 12-19-2023, 11:06 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
I agree but it seems strange to me that if it's bore scoring for 60K miles the oil consumption is completely constant. I guess anything is possible.......

"I have had oil consumption since owning my 2005 CTT from 43,000 miles, around 1qt per 1000 miles, and it has remained the same even now at almost 100,000 miles."
I do recall seeing years ago a Porsche TSB for oil consumption where faulty oil control rings were fitted (probably tension was too low). I'd wager that's more likely what is going on since the consumption has been constant for so long.
Old 12-19-2023, 02:59 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I have read your advice before about using Ceratec every oil change Charles, makes sense it drains out with an OCI. I just dont want to spend the extra $$$ every OCI. I use the Ceratec for protection, but in a way think it increases the consumption, maybe making the bores smoother allowing more to pass by (at least it claims to coat metal surfaces)???

I assume I dont have scoring, or at least not severe yet, thats why I thought perhaps I just had some carbon around some of the rings preventing a good seal, and not wanting the stuck rings to create the potential for scoring, and to help with consumption. Especially if they are low tension rings, carbon build up can do more to move them off center in the ring lands, preventing a good seal???

Still wanting to understand though, how would a restore/HPL or high ester good cleaning oil make the consumption worse? Its not making sense to me and I would like to learn and understand.

Charles, do you recall if that TSB on the low tension rings was for Cayenne's?
Old 12-19-2023, 07:51 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I do recall seeing years ago a Porsche TSB for oil consumption where faulty oil control rings were fitted (probably tension was too low). I'd wager that's more likely what is going on since the consumption has been constant for so long.

Charles, do you recall if that TSB on the low tension rings was for Cayenne's?
Charles is correct , I recall having a female customer who had a Turbo Cheyenne back in 2005 that was using 1qt per 1k miles ( she pulled a Horse Trailer a lot of times) and she would never open the hood . She would bring it by the Dealership everytime the low oil light would come on, every 1k miles ,and we would add 1.0-1.5 qt oil to her Cayenne Turbo..lol

We did investigate the issue by doing a compression test, leak down test, recorded and documented the issue, did a bore scope of the cylinders, ( everything was in specs)and even replaced the complete AOS/crankcase ventilation system with no change in oil consumption...and was within the Porsche specs, so Porsche was not willing at that time do authorize anything further..

We even offered to give her a few cases of oil so she would not have to come to the Dealership for a top off, but she refused to even open the hood...lol

So we gave her "drive through" privileges to just drive into the shop to get a top off every month/ 1k miles...lol

This lasted for 30k miles...30 qts oil added...not counting the regular OCI's ,, and she was nice about it, but eventually she traded for a newer Cheyenne Turbo ( that didn't have the issue) , then Porsche did finally come out with the TSB about the issue with the rings..( and did replace some engines) ..but was too late to help this particular Customer...

peterp (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video