996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2024, 12:41 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

You can prevent alot of problems with more frequent oil changes regardless of whether you use M1, DI40 or some other brand. Fresh oil with its qualities intact makes a big difference. Problem is that there are alot of folks that go to the grocery store 2 miles away amd never get the oil temps hot enough to burn off the fuel and moisture which ultimately leads to poor lubrication and then bore problems.

Something to be said for going on a long enough run to get the oil good and hot, and then taking the engine thru its paces at higher rpms. The engine needs to be properly lubricated with the best oil you can get your hands on and exercised so it knows it's a Porsche.

My preference is to run the best oil I can find, change it often and test it a couple of times a year to see what's happening inside the engine. Kinda like going to the doctor a couple of times a year but a little more fun.
The following users liked this post:
MRDRBX (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 12:44 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 185 Posts

In some sense Speediagnostix vs Blackstone is apples to oranges. SD has better fuel dilution measurement that utilizes the gas chromatography method rather than flashpoint, which is what Blackstone uses. Some things about SD reports also make more sense like looking at wear / 1000 miles. Blackstone makes a lot of generalizations like using universal averages -- just for example, the Calcium 2561 universal average they are showing in your report is not correct to be showing there and is misleading. This is the universal average for the traditional formulation of M1 0W-40. The "European Car Formula" version you likely had in the engine is the API SP formulation and therefore has a lower level of Calcium. Research has shown that higher levels of Calcium can contribute to LSPI.

The 9.86 cSt viscosity in your sample is about what is expected since this oil is known to shear down quickly. It's important to always benchmark your UOA results compared to a virgin sample of the exact same oil. For example some oils will use Si as an anti-foam additive so it is important to know if it's in there already straight out of the bottle. It's also important to note that formulations can and will change over time. In the past when I have asked SD for a virgin sample they have provided it. If it's a Driven oil LN Engineering would be able to provide this as well (and it's shown on their website).
MRDRBX (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:04 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,786 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Everybody has their favorites, but I have found SD report to be well organized by data groupings and easy to read quickly. Blackstone requires a little bit of work in reorganizing the data.

Also good to be able to communicate with Lake as well as Charles if needed.
MRDRBX (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 01:41 PM
MRDRBX
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic info guys. I didn’t really know about the scoring issue until after purchase, but am pleased I spent more than originally planned for a newer car with a CPO, especially not having owned a proper sports car previously. I watched and listened to many of the PCA, LN, and Jake at FSI, offerings and am stunned at the amount of data. I honestly wonder what PCNA would do if a car showed scoring under a CPO. I have no problem spending more $ on better oils and more frequent OC if it extends the life. It’s crazy to hear Lake discuss how the mfgs promote and approve thinner oils just to improve fuel economy. The discussion of Moly and its benefits especially as related to these Nikasil and Alusil bores is especially compelling and my intention is to begin using a better oil as soon as possible as well as ensuring I’m using the best fuel available. Yesterday with tank at 1/2 I added a 2nd container of Techron and refilled with 91 ethanol free TT gas.

edit. I believe the processes related to the potential for scoring is locasil or alusil blocks..

Last edited by MRDRBX; 07-14-2024 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Fix process
Old 07-14-2024, 02:02 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 185 Posts

Buying CPO can be smart and good insurance, I did it with my last car. If the cylinders are scored under CPO you should be covered. You would get a new shortblock just like the one you have but there are no design improvements meaning it could have the same failure again later. The 9A1 can score but it is far less common than M9x according to Jake and LN Engineering, who is the best source of this information as they can see what comes in the door everyday. I am not sure what geography you are in and where the car lived it's previous life but there definitely seems to be compelling evidence that colder climates and more subfreezing cold starts can be a contributing factor.

The manufacturers are being forced to do that to improve their fuel economy. The government passed unrealistic laws mandating this and what we are left with as consumers is the end result of this type of situation.
Old 07-14-2024, 05:42 PM
MRDRBX
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Buying CPO can be smart and good insurance, I did it with my last car. If the cylinders are scored under CPO you should be covered. You would get a new shortblock just like the one you have but there are no design improvements meaning it could have the same failure again later. The 9A1 can score but it is far less common than M9x according to Jake and LN Engineering, who is the best source of this information as they can see what comes in the door everyday. I am not sure what geography you are in and where the car lived it's previous life but there definitely seems to be compelling evidence that colder climates and more subfreezing cold starts can be a contributing factor.

The manufacturers are being forced to do that to improve their fuel economy. The government passed unrealistic laws mandating this and what we are left with as consumers is the end result of this type of situation.
Yes, I live in WI where I have to store it for several months a year if I want to keep it clean. Fortunately it spent its entire life in FL til now so the cold starts haven’t been something it’s seen.
Somehow the sales ad is still available on YT.

Quick Reply: Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video