Sponsored by:

Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 02:19 PM
SARNODUDE
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default DI40

Guess which oil Summit Racing just ran out of ?... They don't have any of the Driven fuel injector cleaner either.. grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 09-10-2023, 02:35 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by SARNODUDE
Guess which oil Summit Racing just ran out of ?... They don't have any of the Driven fuel injector cleaner either.. grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!
Yup, we are all out of DI40 and Injector/Carb Defender. Of all things, there is supply chain issue with packaging that is holding up production.

I'll throw out that if you have a normally aspirated direct injected engine, you can run DT40 in lieu of DI40. However, if you have a direct injected model with forced induction, you're out of luck.
The following users liked this post:
SARNODUDE (09-10-2023)
Old 09-10-2023, 04:04 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 163 Posts

I posted this a couple weeks ago in the 997 oil analysis thread. This is because Driven is switching DI40 from 0W-40 to 5W-40, which must be for marketing because DI40 already was between a 0W and 5W. So on the face of it it's a lot of trouble and changing labels for basically nothing.

If anyone gets in a bind I have a bunch of cases of DI40 in my basement for this exact reason and could sell a few bottles at cost if you PM me. Website says back in stock 10/1 but talking to Driven a week or two ago, it sounds like they may be out of DI40 until around Nov 1st......... they don't really know for sure at this point.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:05 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The Cummins Valvoline Restore oil has been discontinued. It was also a really good oil to use if an engine was poorly serviced and needed a good cleanup without resorting to use an engine flush product. The Restore oil was designed to de-carbon pistons and clean ring grooves to restore proper ring function. It was a unique product for sure.

The DI40 for sure can be used in place of the DT40, however it does cost a bunch more, and for that reason alone most will continue to use the DT40 instead. The biggest difference between the two is the DI40 has less detergency and a tad less ZDDP (to meet the ACEA C2/C3 standard), making it suitable for engines with particulate filters while also providing LSPI protection. Another big difference is the DI40 has no ester and has more mPAO with a higher HTHS viscosity, where DT40 does have a healthy dose of ester.
Originally Posted by plpete84
Charles - I learned about it from Lake as he recommended a short drain interval since my engine might have seen some questionable OCIs. All my wear metals look great, very low fuel dilution and overall great several UOA but she's still burning some oil at around 1l per 600mi. I wouldn't say it's been discontinued as I was able to get 3 gallons of it few weeks ago. It's something you'll need to order from a Cummins center so it's definitely not easily available and requires some leg work and calls to purchase. I spent about 20ish minutes on the phone ordering it. Actually, Valvoline should be releasing gen2 of the oil soon so they may be trying to completely get rid of gen1 before rolling it out. https://partner.valvolineglobal.com/...-blue-restore/
Hi Charles and plpete84. I am confused, not sure if you can offer any more information (quite possibly not, I just figured I would ask and also let you know what I found). I just called and spoke with someone at the Cummins, they put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said they have the Cummins Valvoline Restore they can sell for $75/gallon. I asked if there was a generation 2 of this oil or if the Premium Blue Restore product was it and she said very clearly no, that is not generation 2 and it is a separate product all together from the Cummins Valvoline Restore.

It would seem there is no generation 2 of this oil and it has not been discontinued.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:51 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,724 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Hi Charles and plpete84. I am confused, not sure if you can offer any more information (quite possibly not, I just figured I would ask and also let you know what I found). I just called and spoke with someone at the Cummins, they put me on hold for about 5 minutes and came back and said they have the Cummins Valvoline Restore they can sell for $75/gallon. I asked if there was a generation 2 of this oil or if the Premium Blue Restore product was it and she said very clearly no, that is not generation 2 and it is a separate product all together from the Cummins Valvoline Restore.

It would seem there is no generation 2 of this oil and it has not been discontinued.
I can't speak to what is or may be discontinued but I was also able to get my hands on the Restore version of the oil. The link I provided is directly from Valvoline although I have no clue when the version two will be actually available. When you said you called Cummins, was this their HQ or a local distributor? I spoke with a distribution center which sold me the oil. It's quite possible that they want to completely sell off version 1 of the oil before bringing out v2. This is a highly specific product that you won't find anywhere else other than Cummins dealers so it's quite possible who you spoke with might have not known that. The link to the one pager is still live and specifically states: "PREMIUM BLUE™ RESTORE GEN 2 The next evolution of our patented technology is now CK-4 compatible. This advanced engine clean-up in a single service is the only of it's kind, specifically formulated to treat hard carbon deposits that can increase oil consumption rates." I think the biggest update seems to be the CK-4 compatibility.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:00 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the information and reply. It was the local Cummins Sales & Service in my city that I spoke with and the engine department that takes orders (option 1 on the phone). I was also a little confused because I read the Premium Blue information and it talks about how it is designed to clean the rings and such but Cummins was very clear this is a different product -- could just be that the person didn't know what they are talking about, that is sort of what I was trying to understand, or possibly there will be a generation 2 later but they aren't aware yet. This is a fascinating product, makes me wonder why OEMs don't use it before they are forced to re-ring engines from class actions, etc. I believe you bought it back in May, have you had a chance to use it yet? Was wondering what your experience is, if any. Thanks to everyone for all the information.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:02 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,533 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Out if curiosity, has anybody run an oil test of the Restore 1 to see what's in it?
Old 10-09-2023, 02:12 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

I have not but would love to know what's in it and how it cleans the rings. I personally find this product fascinating given that reputable folks have experience with it and say it was effective.
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (10-09-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:24 PM
plpete84
Drifting

@silver_tt In my experience it sometimes takes a few calls to dig up some niche information such as in this case. I made about 3 calls and it took me a while to source the oil but got it in the end. It didn't really help my situation but I was able to cross that off my list. Turns out I have bigger issues going on but more on that in my own thread to keep this on track. Even though I called a Cummins center I needed to be very specific in what I wanted and it still took a while. The price they quoted you is about right and it's not an oil you run for a full OCI. Once I used up my 3 gallons through consumption I went back to Drive FR50. It's a great product though and was specifically designed to clean rings. It has worked in many cases I was told by Lake but he made no promises.

@GC996 - this guy named Lake with smart looking glasses already did the virgin sample analysis https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-o...e-premium-blue
Old 10-09-2023, 02:47 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

TYVM. Yes, if I needed to run it I would run it for a 3K mile OCI and immediately switch back to DI40. I actually change my oil every 2,500 miles anyway

It looks like it's an ester base oil using magnesium as the primary detergent, I can see why you shouldn't run it for a long period. Curious how this could compare to a UOA of "Cummings Valvoline Restore". If I ever need to use it I will get a UOA for it at the same time to share.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

TYVM. Yes, if I needed to run it I would run it for a 3K mile OCI and immediately switch back to DI40. I actually change my oil every 2,500 miles anyway

It looks like it's an ester base oil using magnesium as the primary detergent, I can see why you shouldn't run it for a long period. Curious how this could compare to a UOA of "Cummings Valvoline Restore". If I ever need to use it I will get a UOA for it at the same time to share.
It's been years since I had any feedback from someone running this oil, but if memory serves me, oil consumption started to increase after about 1500-2000 miles with the restore oil.

Unless you have a specific issue you are trying to resolve, I would recommend against using the Restore oil.
Old 10-09-2023, 04:24 PM
plpete84
Drifting

I'm not surprised as it's pretty thin at 10w-30 and our engines like something a bit thicker. Regardless, it's a short interval use product. I do recall Jake recommending this oil due to the oil's cleaning properties for those that are in line waiting for a rebuild and continue to drive their car.
Old 10-09-2023, 05:35 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It's been years since I had any feedback from someone running this oil, but if memory serves me, oil consumption started to increase after about 1500-2000 miles with the restore oil.

Unless you have a specific issue you are trying to resolve, I would recommend against using the Restore oil.
Hey Charles, TYVM for your feedback as always. Here was my idea let me know what you think: I have recommended this product to try to help folks with a 2.0T or 3.0T that have severe oil consumption that is caused specifically due to the low tension rings and drain holes clogged with DFI soot/carbon. I am talking about folks with a level of consumption like 1 quart per 250 miles and my engine doesn't burn anywhere near this amount of oil so I will likely not be using the product myself but am fascinated by its chemistry. When you say oil consumption started to increase after about 1500-2000 with the restore oil do you mean during the OCI you are using the restore? Or do you mean the oil consumption returned again in a subsequent OCI of regular oil? I personally don't care about oil consumption that much but if it is at 1 quart in 250 miles and increasing, these folks need help. Most ideally you would re-ring the engine to do it the most correct way but for many folks they will dump the car first onto the next unsuspecting victim, so a solution that could even help a little is worthwhile.........
Old 10-10-2023, 07:56 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Hey Charles, TYVM for your feedback as always. Here was my idea let me know what you think: I have recommended this product to try to help folks with a 2.0T or 3.0T that have severe oil consumption that is caused specifically due to the low tension rings and drain holes clogged with DFI soot/carbon. I am talking about folks with a level of consumption like 1 quart per 250 miles and my engine doesn't burn anywhere near this amount of oil so I will likely not be using the product myself but am fascinated by its chemistry. When you say oil consumption started to increase after about 1500-2000 with the restore oil do you mean during the OCI you are using the restore? Or do you mean the oil consumption returned again in a subsequent OCI of regular oil? I personally don't care about oil consumption that much but if it is at 1 quart in 250 miles and increasing, these folks need help. Most ideally you would re-ring the engine to do it the most correct way but for many folks they will dump the car first onto the next unsuspecting victim, so a solution that could even help a little is worthwhile.........
The increase in OC was with the Restore oil, but only after the stated 1500-2000 miles, at which time, changing it out for another fill of Restore brought consumption back in line.

I would think using the Restore oil would be perfect for engines as you describe. I'd run Driven Defender in every tank for at least 1000 miles, if not longer as well. In fact, Porsche had a directive to use Techron to clean the injectors years ago:

Old 10-10-2023, 09:12 AM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Good morning. Thank you, Charles. There is no one's input that I value more than yours on a matter such as this so I appreciated you taking the time the respond -- and just in general how you always politely engage in conversations always providing high quality information. You are kind of a different person than your average engine guy, and I mean that in the best way.... and folks like you and Jake, you have contributed so much knowledge and experience to this platform and the Porsche community. God bless you guys LOL

You raise a good point about injectors. For this reason I have run Driven Defender + Octane Booster (any product with PEA will work like Techron, which I have also used in the past) once per OCI just before I change the oil. Fortunately I also have access to Shell V-Power 93 at the gas station closest to my house and generally only get gas for my cars at this station.
The following 2 users liked this post by silver_tt:
Charles Navarro (10-11-2023), EVOMMM (10-31-2023)

Quick Reply: Driven DI40 / DT40 & pca Video