996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 09:03 PM
por944s2
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm getting feeback thru the speakers after the car is OFF. Sounds very odd and is not consistent each time the car is off, but feedback is always there. Anyone else?

997.1 2008 GT3 which had the Bose Setup.

Order the part from the earlier post and after it's installed, will report back.

Thx

Last edited by por944s2; 08-30-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:23 AM
iPlane
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey @frederik

Following your successful experience, a mate of mine and I both purchased the Porsche adapter recommended by @jhomer for our 2001 non-MOST Bose 996 Turbo. In both cases, the problem with the static produced by the previous HI-LO converter was resolved, and the sound was overall MUCH cleaner. An absolute winner in that aspect.

Unfortunately, we both developed the same problem: we both had a flat battery after having the car sitting for more than 4 days without having the car plugged to the battery tender. This same thing happened to both of us ONLY after installing the adapter.

We haven't yet troubleshooted the actual source of battery drain, but it's a bit of a coincidence that in both cases this happened after installing the adapter, so that's our main suspect at the moment. We'll confirm the source of parasitic loss soon, though.

With that in mind, I wanted to ask you: did you (or anyone else for that matter) run into a similar problem, or could hint us towards what could we check in order to prevent the battery from going flat due to parasitic loss? If this is confirmed to be linked to the adapter, it will be unfortunately a bit of a dealbreaker and will have to go back to the HI-LO adaptor :/

Thanks beforehand for any kind of advice/hint.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:34 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

That doesn't happen to me. I did have to replace the battery a few months later but that was because my alternator failed and charged it at 16V+. Since then everything has been OK. Just last week, I started the car without a hitch after letting it sit outside for 9 days. If I don't drive it for more than two weeks however, I use a battery charger.

In short, there doesn't seem to be a clear relationship between the adapter and battery drain.
The following users liked this post:
iPlane (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 11:03 AM
iPlane
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the confirmation. I'll definitely have to dig deeper and try to narrow down the actual root cause.
Old 12-15-2023, 11:43 AM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Has anyone had any luck trying to find a firmware update? My radio has been fine for over a year, but now, sometimes the sound will not come on, regardless of source. Then if I reboot the radio, it will come back on (sometimes it still doesn't). Assuming a software issue, since a hardware issue would be more consistent. (doesn't matter if I'm moving or not or if the motor is even running or not). 2003 996 TT
Old 12-15-2023, 11:51 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

I have not but haven't looked in a while. I want to get my hands on it in order to fix the random trip odometer reset. Besides that the PCCM+ has been great for me.

Re. your no sound issue, was it present previously with your OEM radio? I experience this but believe its related to my Bose amp. I've isolated the issue to appear only when it gets cold. When temps are 60 or higher, I get sound with no issues. When it's closer to 50F I need to drive for a bit and/or cycle the radio on and off before I get sound. My wild guess it might be related to condensation in the amp or something small expanding / contracting due to temp changes.
The following users liked this post:
amargari (12-16-2023)
Old 12-15-2023, 12:23 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

No, the OE radio and this radio have worked fine. It wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that this started happening. My temps here are usually over 60* most of the time. (North Florida) and it was happening during the later part of summer. Maybe the amp is going out.

Originally Posted by plpete84
I have not but haven't looked in a while. I want to get my hands on it in order to fix the random trip odometer reset. Besides that the PCCM+ has been great for me.

Re. your no sound issue, was it present previously with your OEM radio? I experience this but believe its related to my Bose amp. I've isolated the issue to appear only when it gets cold. When temps are 60 or higher, I get sound with no issues. When it's closer to 50F I need to drive for a bit and/or cycle the radio on and off before I get sound. My wild guess it might be related to condensation in the amp or something small expanding / contracting due to temp changes.
Old 12-15-2023, 12:27 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My car was at Porsche a few weeks back and they loaded a new firmware update. My issue is that after a phone call the screen goes dark until I press the home button.
It didn't help.

Old 12-15-2023, 12:29 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterted
My car was at Porsche a few weeks back and they loaded a new firmware update. My issue is that after a phone call the screen goes dark until I press the home button.
It didn't help.
I really hope that we don't have to go to the dealership every time the radio has an update. UGH....
Old 12-15-2023, 12:30 PM
misterted
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
I really hope that we don't have to go to the dealership every time the radio has an update. UGH....
We do. This unit doers not support OTA.
I'm not happy about it either.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:06 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by G8rJimbo
Has anyone had any luck trying to find a firmware update? My radio has been fine for over a year, but now, sometimes the sound will not come on, regardless of source. Then if I reboot the radio, it will come back on (sometimes it still doesn't). Assuming a software issue, since a hardware issue would be more consistent. (doesn't matter if I'm moving or not or if the motor is even running or not). 2003 996 TT
I presume BOSE with fiber connectivity? My 2003 with the stock HU does this. I have found that it will stay no sound until the car is locked/unlocked. Something is losing connectivity and the lock/unlock cycle resets everything. I don't find that odd - as the HU (CDR-23) has to go thru a lock/unlock cycle to be updated. I added a MR12volt unit to the car and had to have the external CD changer option turned on. The shop that activated it told me they set the option but it was not working, so I went with them into the shop, told them to close the doors, and I locked/unlocked the car, and as if by magic, the MR12volt (emulates the external CD changer) began to function.

-Tom
2003 C2
Old 12-15-2023, 01:21 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by misterted
We do. This unit doers not support OTA.
I'm not happy about it either.
Yeah this is a bit backwards. Imagine going to Apple to get your phone on the new OS. Do you know if the update was done via PIWIS and did they charge you for the update? I think if we could have access to the new firmware, you should be able to load it on a miniSD card and run the update from the radio itself.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:57 PM
G8rJimbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommelton
I presume BOSE with fiber connectivity? My 2003 with the stock HU does this. I have found that it will stay no sound until the car is locked/unlocked. Something is losing connectivity and the lock/unlock cycle resets everything. I don't find that odd - as the HU (CDR-23) has to go thru a lock/unlock cycle to be updated. I added a MR12volt unit to the car and had to have the external CD changer option turned on. The shop that activated it told me they set the option but it was not working, so I went with them into the shop, told them to close the doors, and I locked/unlocked the car, and as if by magic, the MR12volt (emulates the external CD changer) began to function.

-Tom
2003 C2
Correct, Bose with MOST system. Def not a lock/unlock problem as I have never locked the car when I get in it, lol. BUT I will try that after this weekend and see. Interesting that you've found that quirk, that's the first I've heard of it and it does make sense.
Old 12-15-2023, 03:16 PM
tommelton
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 86 Posts

Not lock/unlock from inside. Outside. As in parked. When I had the failure with the CDR-23 - powering off the HU did nothing to relieve it. I just know that the power down that happens with locked from outside made the sound come back. And it was quick - no waiting for the full sleep mode once locked.

It has only happened perhaps 3 times so far - and I have owned the car since March 2020.

-Tom
Old 12-16-2023, 02:35 AM
GarrettSR5
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Yeah this is a bit backwards. Imagine going to Apple to get your phone on the new OS. Do you know if the update was done via PIWIS and did they charge you for the update? I think if we could have access to the new firmware, you should be able to load it on a miniSD card and run the update from the radio itself.
Newer VWs use an SD card, I can't see why Porsche would be any different. May be worth combing through PET to find a part number for an SD card perhaps

Quick Reply: PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades