Sponsored by:

PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 01:00 PM
TC2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhomer
That’s exactly why. I’ll get a pic and PN this weekend when I have the dash out.
Can you post a pic showing where you installed the adapter?

I received the same adapter when I purchased the unit for my 2002 Turbo, but I could not find the black or red connector anywhere that matched up to the adapter.

I ended up returning it and purchasing the amp passthrough from JustCarKits which seemed to fix the loud volume issue.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:27 PM
jhomer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here ya go, new female yellow connector goes into the headunit, you plug the existing female yellow connector from the vehicle side into the new red connector, and plug the vehicle side black 8 pin female connector into the new male black connector. The adapter lets you send the preamp outputs from the headunit to the Bose amp via the black connector and the remote turn on signal to the Bose amp via the yellow connector (vehicle side)

https://www.porschemarinparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-wiring-harness-adapter-for-loudspeaker-99664234100
hope that helps!

sidenote, the original radio in the car had a much lower power speaker level output and better noise isolation I’m betting, that’s why the bose amp could handle it. Once you get rid of the junky level adapters you’ll be blown away with how good the radio sounds.

Last edited by jhomer; 05-07-2023 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZuffenZeus (06-08-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 06:32 PM
TC2
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the picture. I didn't catch that about the red connector. Thanks for the tip on that.

I can't figure out why the black connector from the adapter wouldn't match up to my car side harness.

I think I'll repurchase the adapter harness and try again.

For anyone reading this just so you know I have a 2002 996 Turbo.

Here ya go, new female yellow connector goes into the headunit, you plug the existing female yellow connector from the vehicle side into the new red connector, and plug the vehicle side black 8 pin female connector into the new male black connector. The adapter lets you send the preamp outputs from the headunit to the Bose amp via the black connector and the remote turn on signal to the Bose amp via the yellow connector (vehicle side)

https://www.porschemarinparts.com/oe...er-99664234100
hope that helps!

sidenote, the original radio in the car had a much lower power speaker level output and better noise isolation I’m betting, that’s why the bose amp could handle it. Once you get rid of the junky level adapters you’ll be blown away with how good the radio sounds.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:17 PM
frederik
Racer

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Thanks so much for that information, I'll try to find the adapter and will follow up with the results.
Old 05-13-2023, 04:11 PM
frederik
Racer

@jhomer Thank you!! My shop was able to find the cable using the part number you provided and I'm very happy to say it solved the white noise and digital crackles for me completely. Like I said, I was very close to just putting the PCM1 back in. Very happy with this solution which seems much better than a step-down converter.
The following users liked this post:
jhomer (05-13-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 10:13 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the music volume to be good but my phone call volume is horrible! Any ideas how to fix that?
Old 05-14-2023, 05:34 AM
frederik
Racer

You can adjust the volume levels via Settings > Volume. Does that help?
Old 05-15-2023, 04:06 PM
armoden
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frederik
I see that Suncoast specifically asks whether you have a 2002 Bose system. I wonder what kind of adapter this is and why Porsche doesn’t include it itself.

Pretty sure the bose question is to about the ground pin on the wiring harness to the amp. The old DSP panel turned the amp on and off with a ground. If you remove the DSP panel, you have to ground one of the pins to get the amp to still work. I had that in my 986S.

Originally Posted by kokolyia
I got the music volume to be good but my phone call volume is horrible! Any ideas how to fix that?
I installed this PCCM+ in my '99 996 (replaced PCM1.0) and honestly it was a mistake. Everything phone related is too quiet. When I'm using the radio with the top down, my volume is set at 15/30. When I'm using bluetooth or usb my volume is 25/30 with the "loudness" option on. Some people suggested changing the volume on my phone. My phone volume has no effect on the android auto, and doesn't make it any louder across bluetooth. I'm going to remove it and put in a gt3 delete and a marine head unit and be done with the whole damn thing.

Last edited by armoden; 05-15-2023 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:30 AM
frederik
Racer

The ground cable applies to a different configuration. The 2002 Bose setup is not discussed in Porsche's instructions so it is very valuable that @jhomer posted the solution here.
Old 05-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Geoff.T
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
The ground cable applies to a different configuration. The 2002 Bose setup is not discussed in Porsche's instructions so it is very valuable that @jhomer posted the solution here.
I agree. His post helped me figure out why my volume was too loud at a low setting.

PCCM in a 2002 Bose setup:

The following 3 users liked this post by Geoff.T:
cqhall (04-22-2024), jhomer (05-31-2023), Yogibara (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 06:36 AM
sPaCePiR8
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the PCCM+ in my 2003 Turbo last year.
Everything is working as it should be, except for the fact that it shuts down every 20-30min which is a little frustrating. When it happens and I wait for a few seconds, I can switch it back on and everything picks off where it stopped (e.g. CarPlay Music and Navigation) and works fine, until it eventually switches off again

It happens regardless of whether I am listening to FM/DAB Radio or use CarPlay.

Any thoughts from the community on that?
Old 06-01-2023, 01:30 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 246 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Geoff.T
I agree. His post helped me figure out why my volume was too loud at a low setting.

PCCM in a 2002 Bose setup:

You need gas.
Old 06-08-2023, 12:51 PM
TC2
Rennlist Member

I wanted to report back that the adapter 996.642.341.00 worked great for my 2002 Turbo with Bose.

Took me a few minutes this second go around trying to figure out how it installed, but it completely solved the sound issue.

Red ISO plug from the car goes to the black ISO plug on the adapter. Yellow square plug from car goes to the red plug on the adapter and yellow square plug from the adapter plugs in to the PCCM+.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:45 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Originally Posted by TC2
I wanted to report back that the adapter 996.642.341.00 worked great for my 2002 Turbo with Bose.

Took me a few minutes this second go around trying to figure out how it installed, but it completely solved the sound issue.

Red ISO plug from the car goes to the black ISO plug on the adapter. Yellow square plug from car goes to the red plug on the adapter and yellow square plug from the adapter plugs in to the PCCM+.

https://www.porschemarinparts.com/oe...er-99664234100
hope that helps!

Thank you for this thread! Finally Porsche has offered an adapter for the most common problem with non-MOST analog cars running a frunk amplifier. I've posted to many of these threads on several sub-forums and it seems that Porsche didn't really cross all their "T's" or dot their "i's" when they first released the PCCM+. Even the dealerships couldn't figure it out. To me, it seemed simple to me, but it was a major oversight. All of the preexisting Becker and Blaupunkt OEM radios dating back to the aircooled 911 cars used the YELLOW plug to output line-level pre-amp output to the frunk amplifiers. When 996 owners with pre-MOST cars tried to installed the PCCM+, they quickly realized the unit would not even produce a sound in many cases. Those with aftermarket HI/LO converters found that the sound was plaque with volume issues and produced 60 hz hum. It seemed insane that Porsche would engineer a headunit and not have better instructions for installation. Thankfully, you guys finally figured out. Hats off! Thank you for contributing.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:46 PM
saxonthebeach
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sPaCePiR8
I installed the PCCM+ in my 2003 Turbo last year.
Everything is working as it should be, except for the fact that it shuts down every 20-30min which is a little frustrating. When it happens and I wait for a few seconds, I can switch it back on and everything picks off where it stopped (e.g. CarPlay Music and Navigation) and works fine, until it eventually switches off again

It happens regardless of whether I am listening to FM/DAB Radio or use CarPlay.

Any thoughts from the community on that?
I am having a similar issue. The unit has started crashing frequently and rebooting itself. Also my volume **** and other physical button inputs now have a massive 3-5 sec lag before they register any effect. The touchscreen doesn't have this lag. If I try to do several inputs quickly (ie roll the volume up and down) the unit crashes before it even has a chance to react. Not even sure what do to about this; my local dealer doesn't even know what to do with these things.

Quick Reply: PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades