996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 02:41 PM
saxonthebeach
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone been able to get this mythical firmware update for the PCCM+? I’ve heard of an update in another forum that fixes the random odometer reset issue, and now the update here that will allow CarPlay maps to display in the cluster. No dealer seems to have a clue.

Would be great if we could just order the update from Porsche on an sd card. Assume that is how it will be installed.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:28 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,721 Likes on 881 Posts

I sometimes chat on IG with Brock (996roadtrip guy - very nice dude). He worked with Porsche on some marketing stuff and was one of the early cars to get the unit. I asked him about this issue and he admitted to have experienced it as well. He confirmed that there is a fix out there and you need to get it through your dealer. Ideally a dealer that has a Classic Center might know more/better. That's what he suggested. My local dealer is moving into a new space soon and will be opening up a Classic Center along with the new dealer/service space so I hope to get some more info once it all goes live. I wish Porsche would cut the crap and just upload the firmware with upgrade directions just like any other company.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:22 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
I sometimes chat on IG with Brock (996roadtrip guy - very nice dude). He worked with Porsche on some marketing stuff and was one of the early cars to get the unit. I asked him about this issue and he admitted to have experienced it as well. He confirmed that there is a fix out there and you need to get it through your dealer. Ideally a dealer that has a Classic Center might know more/better. That's what he suggested. My local dealer is moving into a new space soon and will be opening up a Classic Center along with the new dealer/service space so I hope to get some more info once it all goes live. I wish Porsche would cut the crap and just upload the firmware with upgrade directions just like any other company.
I gave up trying to get this update. The guys in the UK got a patch a couple of years ago to to fix the random odometer reset. I am going on 3 years of ownership on mine, and my local dealer, Sunset Porsche, is clueless about the problem. They want to charge me $200 to diagnose, yeah right!

Porsche lack of support for this product totally sucks!
Old 01-30-2023, 01:40 PM
khyatt
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 18 Posts

I just did the PCCM+ install on my 03 C2 with Bose and the install process was surprisingly easy. Unfortunately, my USB breakout box seems to be DOA from the factory and getting it warrantied is a wildly frustrating process. Other than that (and being unable to use carplay because of it) the sound quality, fit and finish etc is all great.
The following users liked this post:
G8rJimbo (12-15-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 03:38 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mffarrell
I gave up trying to get this update. The guys in the UK got a patch a couple of years ago to to fix the random odometer reset. I am going on 3 years of ownership on mine, and my local dealer, Sunset Porsche, is clueless about the problem. They want to charge me $200 to diagnose, yeah right!

Porsche lack of support for this product totally sucks!
sad... this is reason why I won't get one .. support is crapy for sure and your not the first or the last.
The following users liked this post:
G8rJimbo (12-15-2023)
Old 02-03-2023, 05:22 PM
saxonthebeach
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jury_ca
Here's my experience upgrading the sound system on my '03 996 C4S with the MOST HIFI PCM2.0. My goals for the system are to maintain OEM appearance, improve sound quality, improve power and not add much additional weight.

I installed it at a stereo shop rather than at the dealer who seemed very unsure about the installation. I paid USD$450 for the install. I opted to hide the ugly iphone/USB controller behind the lower cubby in the front dash since I stream most of my music through CarPlay. I can still gain access by removing the carpeted piece in the passenger footwell.

There are 3 software issues to note if communication is through MOST BUS.
1) The clock won't sync through GPS or RDS. You have to set it manually.
2) The turn by turn navigation display on the dash must be activated thru the PIWIS by the Porsche dealer. It only works with the native navigation software. I heard there is a new firmware as of Jan/Feb 2023 that will update to show the turn by turn instructions on the dash even if you're using Apple Maps, Waze or Google Maps.
3) This one is a pretty major issue - Listening to music through my iphone on low volumes (Media vol 1 or 2) 50% of the volume is signal and 50% is distortion/noise/static. Does anyone else with a MOST car have the same issue? At higher volume levels and when the car is running, you would hardly notice it, but it still bothers me. Does anyone with a MOST car NOT have this issue? The benefit of MOST fiber optics is supposed to eliminate this type of noise from the audio source.. From my troubleshooting it seems be generated between the PCCM+/MOST control unit/Amp and is probably due to the GAIN being set way too high.
Under Settings->Volume, you can control the volume of the individual line inputs such as TUNER, Bluetooth, USB but NOT media. Hence, I have not found a way to reduce the gain when listening to CarPlay audio.

Other upgrades I've done to the sound system.:
Replaced the front dash separates with an excellent Focal kit from Rod at CAI. This is a noticeable significant improvement over the OEM speakers even with the stock amp. It is not necessary to replace the woofers on the doors if you have the HIFI/BOSE system as the bass is pretty optimized as it is for the doors. To get down to lower frequencies, you'd need to get a subwoofer installed.. Most people would be happy running this set up using the stock amp; however, I've decided to take it to the next level and will be installing a MOBridge MOST 25 8.1 channel DSP-AMP in a few months and then adding a custom subwoofer in the passenger footwell (that mimics the design of the Porsche sub in the Cabs). This amp is far more powerful than the OEM amp, weighs 1KG and will fit right into the same enclosure in the frunk. I believe I will be the only 996 owner with this specific set up. I'll let you know how that install goes.

Btw would be very interested in your design / setup for the subwoofer here. I have a cab so I’m thinking the sub could be an easy swap since the enclosure is already there.

Last edited by saxonthebeach; 02-03-2023 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:06 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

So,, just a shot in the wind, but if the music signal is noisy,, go to your local electrical supplier (Big commercial one)
And buy a fiber optic cleaning kit. Fiber does not like dust at the junction. there is one gadget to clean the male end
and one for the female end.

The dust that will screw this up is too small to see with the human eye.. and 1 speck in the wrong place will royally screw up the signal.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:35 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

I just got my PCCM Plus installed and also have the digital crackle/noise problem. My car is a 2002 Turbo (actually Oct 2001) with Bose, non-MOST I believe. Are there any known fixes for this? Would the fiber optic cleaning tip help?
Old 03-13-2023, 09:24 AM
tommelton
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
I just got my PCCM Plus installed and also have the digital crackle/noise problem. My car is a 2002 Turbo (actually Oct 2001) with Bose, non-MOST I believe. Are there any known fixes for this? Would the fiber optic cleaning tip help?
If your is non-MOST - you don't have fiber optic cables to clean.

-Tom
Old 03-13-2023, 05:05 PM
frederik
Racer

Got it. After some more experimentation, I think at least part of the problem is that the amp is too sensitive. Even with no sound playing I can hear a strong analog hiss from the speakers. If there is a way to reduce the amp gain, the noise would be reduced as well.

The digital artifacts start when I use CarPlay: apparently this is interference from the signals sent back and forth to the phone.

I’ll check if the extra ground connection that I’m reading about has been made at the amplifier.
Old 03-14-2023, 08:37 AM
frederik
Racer

I can find various other posts with exactly the same problem, but no solution unfortunately. On 911uk.com, someone mentions (in 2020):
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...r=asc&start=20

Still noise and high gain on the volume…

So after some research I ordered an ISO adapter with resistance for high gain to amp. This is a common problem on other cars when using after market stereo with OEM Amp

https://www.brl.se/sv/artiklar/adapter-for-saab-med-originalslutsteg.html

As soon as i receive the adapter I will update this post and show you how it looks..
Various other people have the same problem, also in the PCCM Plus thread here on the 996 forum, but no one seems to have a solution. Curious if this kind of adapter would fix it.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:26 PM
MitchellDomer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCCM plus tuner

Just had radio installed. Everything works except am/fm tuner. Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2023, 12:40 PM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,556 Likes on 916 Posts

Seems to be a lot of issues on a Porsche unit sad really considering how expensive it is and lacking all the goodies
happy as hell with my kenwood 9700 and backup camera
all that at 60% the Porsche price
The following 2 users liked this post by EVOMMM:
damage98MO (04-15-2023), Texastri (05-06-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 01:02 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchellDomer
Just had radio installed. Everything works except am/fm tuner. Any thoughts?
Stupid question, but do you have the antenna connected? If I remember correctly there's some little adaptor. GL!
Old 05-01-2023, 04:05 PM
iPlane
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
I can find various other posts with exactly the same problem, but no solution unfortunately. On 911uk.com, someone mentions (in 2020):
http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...r=asc&start=20

Various other people have the same problem, also in the PCCM Plus thread here on the 996 forum, but no one seems to have a solution. Curious if this kind of adapter would fix it.
After YEARS reading this forum, just registered to chime in.

I've had the PCCM+ installed in a non-MOST 996 Turbo with Bose, and guess what? Same story: hiss and crackles appear ONLY when plugging the phone to the USB box. Without the phone plugged, sound is perfect over USB drive, DAB+, etc.

I must mention: as part of the installation, I have installed also one of those stepdown modules for reducing the input signal from the headunit, since even with a couple of clicks it was just too loud. I saw that recommendation here in Rennlist too.

So far, I lazily blamed that module for the noises. But it looks like I am not alone in this.

From the behaviour, it feels as though there is some sort of electrical loop created when connecting the phone, so I wonder whether installing a Carplay wireless module would do the trick? That way, the phone would be connected wirelessly, thus preventing the creation of an actual physical loop with the cable. Not sure it'd work, but perhaps that's an option?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing whether other people come up with a solution. It's not that is a deal killer, but it's indeed noticeable at low speeds. Also, worth mentioning: it does NOT always happen. It happens like 90% of the times that the phone is connected... but there's some 10% of the times where the sound is crystal clear. Go figure.

Last edited by iPlane; 05-01-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Quick Reply: PCCM Plus Woes + Upgrades