996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1100 Lost at Sea

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 10:55 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,905 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Fires on ships can easily get hot enough that the steel starts burning. That kind of a fire can't be put out with water because the water breaks down to hydrogen and oxygen due to the intense heat, it's over 5000 degrees F. The only way to put that fire out is to wait, or use a lot of CO2 all at once.
Old 02-22-2022, 11:14 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 4,067 Likes on 2,307 Posts
Default Volvo Carbon Footprint Report: XC40 EV vs. XC 40 ICE

What a mess. While we won't know what caused the fire for quite some time the discussion of EV vs. ICE will be kicking in high gear.

Some of you may find this report from Volvo of interest which compares their XC40 EV vs. XC40 ICE powered car from an environmental standpoint. While I haven't gotten thru it just yet, so far it's interesting reading. Would be an interesting thread topic.

Here is a link to the report. Too big to attach.
https://www.volvocars.com/images/v/-...eport-xc40.pdf
The following users liked this post:
Lady Silver (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 01:33 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
What a mess. While we won't know what caused the fire for quite some time the discussion of EV vs. ICE will be kicking in high gear.

Some of you may find this report from Volvo of interest which compares their XC40 EV vs. XC40 ICE powered car from an environmental standpoint. While I haven't gotten thru it just yet, so far it's interesting reading. Would be an interesting thread topic.

Good post.
After reading the Exec Sum, I will definitely study that doc.
Thanks
GC996 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 510 Posts

After reading just the ES seems if I use my XC40 R Design for less than @91k miles I will be less polluting than the comparable BEV XC40. Sweet! In addition I won't have to worry about my ICE XC40 going all The Torch and yelling "Flame on" in my garage.

The Volvo sits next to the 996 in the garage and I would prefer no unplanned deconstruction occurring in that environment.

Old 02-22-2022, 03:10 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,803 Likes on 2,165 Posts

Originally Posted by Icelia
Think of Joules again as available instantaneous torque. Good for winning races.
Also think of Joules as potential 'instant death'.. Good for killing mechanics.
High performance EV or Hybrid cars need to ramp up the voltage to deliver all that power so quickly and still not need 2" diameter cables to do it. So, they have a lot of energy that can cause a lot of damage very quickly.

If that energy goes to the wrong place, like a human body; or even to other parts of the car that aren't correctly grounded etc. you have serious problems.
^^^^ This is true !!

I was sent to "Porsche Hybrid Training" over a decade and a half ago when the Cayenne Hybrid first came out...

Each Dealership had to have a trained tech or they were not allowed to sell a Hybrid..When A Hybrid came into the shop, I was responsible to attack a Hazmat sign to the drivers window and rope off the car in the shop. No one was allowed inside the ropes unless I was in there with them to instruct them.

Specific guidelines and safety procedures had to be followed. and if the high voltage battery was to be removed, I had to gear up like a Bomb Removal Squad..lol

We also had to build a Special High Voltage Battery Storage Facility , encase we had to remove and store a defective EV Battery. A defective/damaged High Voltage Battery was treated like a Bomb !!

The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Eurocarguy911 (02-23-2022), GC996 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 03:15 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Its going to be fascinating as more analysis and documents are produced regarding the topic. Add in biofuel and more eventual hybrid adoption, we will have plenty of ways to improve the environment effectively and efficiently.

We all know that what gets measured will get fixed. Problem is that we havent been "measuring".
wildbilly32 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 04:35 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,452 Likes on 696 Posts

Many of these GT cars were headed to the NE. A lot of upset people in NY area At least they get a good story out of it. IMO it makes their 992 even more special, albiet delayed about 6 months.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:30 PM
tac911t
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
^^^^ This is true !!

I was sent to "Porsche Hybrid Training" over a decade and a half ago when the Cayenne Hybrid first came out...

Each Dealership had to have a trained tech or they were not allowed to sell a Hybrid..When A Hybrid came into the shop, I was responsible to attack a Hazmat sign to the drivers window and rope off the car in the shop. No one was allowed inside the ropes unless I was in there with them to instruct them.

Specific guidelines and safety procedures had to be followed. and if the high voltage battery was to be removed, I had to gear up like a Bomb Removal Squad..lol

We also had to build a Special High Voltage Battery Storage Facility , encase we had to remove and store a defective EV Battery. A defective/damaged High Voltage Battery was treated like a Bomb !!
Back in the day, we installed a large UPS system for our computer center. When the techs performed preventative maintenance on the system, their tool kit included a wooden cane (one with a loop/hook on the end).
I did ask, why a wooden cane was included in the tool kit.
Two techs were required, one to open the unit and perform the inspection, and a second one holding the wooden cane, which would be used to pull the other tech off the equipment if the situation required.

Ahhh, the good old days.

Porschetech3 (02-22-2022)
Old 02-22-2022, 06:36 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Electricity can be fun and dangerous. Don't even ask me about late model diesel electric AC locomotives and their inverters...
Originally Posted by tac911t
Back in the day, we installed a large UPS system for our computer center. When the techs performed preventative maintenance on the system, their tool kit included a wooden cane (one with a loop/hook on the end).
I did ask, why a wooden cane was included in the tool kit.
Two techs were required, one to open the unit and perform the inspection, and a second one holding the wooden cane, which would be used to pull the other tech off the equipment if the situation required.

Ahhh, the good old days.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:25 AM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Folks, the narrative on Petroleum vs. Biofuel vs. Electric vs. Hybrid is changing before our eyes. Europe woke up this morning to news none of us want to see and now realize how vulnerable they are to energy shortages. Everything energy related will be re-thought. One thing is certain, ICE isn't going away anytime soon.

Environmentalism will give way to Pragmatism over the near term.

Last edited by GC996; 02-24-2022 at 09:32 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GC996:
Dr_Strangelove (02-24-2022), Formerly996fried (03-03-2022), Lady Silver (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 10:47 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 188 Posts

Folks, the narrative on Petroleum vs. Biofuel vs. Electric vs. Hybrid is changing before our eyes. Europe woke up this morning to news none of us want to see and now realize how vulnerable they are to energy shortages. Everything energy related will be re-thought. One thing is certain, ICE isn't going away anytime soon.

Environmentalism will give way to Pragmatism over the near term.
Spot on.
I expect the discussion will include pipelines, fracking, domestic petroleum production, nuclear power plant licensing, alternative fuels......also potential realignment of the US Congress may be in play.....
GC996 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-25-2022, 04:01 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
^^^^ This is true !!

I've taken some recent EV repair training.
EV design is really interesting!
But I have decided that repairing EVs is not in the cards for me.

Old 02-25-2022, 04:02 PM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 452 Posts

Too many threads on RL about this, mods please delete some.
OP: Never post anything from Communist News Network
Old 02-25-2022, 04:11 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
About what?
Old 02-25-2022, 04:34 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Seems that you are in the wrong section of this forum...
user 8298308 (02-26-2022)

Quick Reply: 1100 Lost at Sea