My Build thread..

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 03:21 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Received 584 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by GC996
Smart. FVD is top quality.

Fwiw, according to fvd, due to the porting of the m&m headers, in combination with their software, you will be able to extract a little bit of performance out of the ipd plenum and gt3 throttle body which is an additional plus. Not to mention gaining more low/mid range torque from the m&m headers.
good to know .. I always thought the Plenum and GT3 throttle body were a waste of money unless you have engine work done..
Old 05-03-2022, 04:52 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,917 Likes on 2,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin76
good to know .. I always thought the Plenum and GT3 throttle body were a waste of money unless you have engine work done..
Pretty much. Fvd said you may be able to get a small improvement using the m&m headers due to the porting m&m did. They (FVD) optimizes it with their software. While they didnt give me numbers, my guess is less than 5 hp. But, you gotta pull a Jake FSI rebuild with top end work to be able to maximize the Plenum and tb performance gains. Jake made that point a number of times in his indirect reference to things.

I will eventually test it (dyno) it when i get the m&m headers next year to compliment my fvd 200 cell cats and fvd sport mufflers. Back in 2012 we dynoed the plenum and throttle body on my car with the fvd 200 cell cats and sport mufflers with oem headers. We were running the tuneable revo software that was commonly used back in the day. No gains with ipd/tb. In fact losses in power occurred of which my shop had to work hard in the afternoon to tune it to bring it back to even. We were very disappointed. BUT the ipd/tb did look good and sound good.

Fwiw, I would see what you get from the new exhaust set-up and software before spending 1k on ipd/tb. Fvd will work with you on tuning it. If you do want to try the ipd/tb with the headers. You just have to let them know.

Add: sorry about typos. New phone and trying to type quickly between meetings.

Last edited by GC996; 05-04-2022 at 01:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Justin76 (05-03-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 08:20 AM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 985 Posts

Pretty much. Fvd said you may be able to get a small improvement using the m&m headers due to the porting m&m did. They (FVD) optimizes it with their software. While they didnt give me numbers, my guess is less than 5 hp. But, you gotta pull a Jake FSI rebuild with top end work to be able to maximize the Plenum and tb performance gains. Jake made that point a number of times in his indirect reference to things.

I will eventually test it (dyno) it when i get the m&m headers next year to compliment my fvd 200 cell cats and fvd sport mufflers. Back in 2012 we dynoed the plenum and throttle body on my car with the fvd 200 cell cats and sport mufflers with oem headers. We were running the tuneable revo software that was commonly used back in the day. No gains with ipd/tb. In fact losses in power occurred of which my shop had to work hard in the afternoon to tune it to bring it back to even. We were very disappointed. BUT the ipd/tb did look good and sound good.

Fwiw, I would see what you get from the new exhaust set-up and software before spending 1k on ipd/tb. Fvd will work with you on tuning it. If you do want to try the ipd/tb with the headers. You just have to let them know.

Add: sorry about typos. New phone and trying to type quickly between meetings.
That's good info to read, kinda at the same point as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheChunkNorris:
GC996 (05-04-2022), Justin76 (05-04-2022)
Old 05-06-2022, 10:53 PM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Profile looks great, what size wheel / tire combo are you using
Justin76 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 01:04 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Looneybin
Profile looks great, what size wheel / tire combo are you using
Apex Sm-10 in 18" and Conti Extreme Sport.. currently but that will be changing soon
Ratchet1025 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 05:36 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Well I’ve had a few days to process and a few more days of driving to make some comments on my FVD headers, catless x pipe, and ECU tune. My comments are purely speculative until my car can get back on dyno to see the actual results.

1. throttle response seems greatly improved
2. a lot more power starting at 4k rpm.. it feel much stronger up top.
3 did lose a little from 3-4 but not enough for any real concern.
4. sounds great and no drone on highway unless you drop a gear or two and then it’s just a glorious sound.

once I get the after dyno result I will post and hopefully later this week. The delay is my fault as I travel for work and the timing is the issue. More to come soon

Last edited by Justin76; 05-16-2022 at 05:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Justin76:
barbancourt (05-16-2022), EVOMMM (05-16-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-16-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

ok well the results are in .. I finally got the following done and dyno'ed before and after. The before Dyno had to have some type of error as it was way to low to make sense ( 228whp)

Mods done
FVD Header
FVD Catless X Pipe
BMC Air Filter
FVD ECU Tune
Fabspeed MaxFlo Exhaust ( was already on before other mods above)

The dyno was a DynoCom dyno which very similar to a mustang dyno for read out. He said it's about a 17-18% drivetrain loss for his dyno. I'm pretty happy with the results so and the tuner seems to think there is about another 15-20 out there due to the data he saw. He will be purchasing the my genius software to start tuning with it as currently he uses 4-5 others but some cars he is unable to do. The my genius software will allow him more vehicles to tune so he was all in about purchasing the setup/system.

Facebook Post

Last edited by Justin76; 05-24-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Ratchet1025 (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 12:47 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Thanks for info Justin. Was the black line the baseline read on your car before the mods?
Old 05-25-2022, 01:01 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Thanks for info Justin. Was the black line the baseline read on your car before the mods?
no that was just the three run pull after all mods were complete.

Like I talked about above the baseline dyno run had to have something happen as it was way to low.. I will post the initial three run pulls below any ways so you can see the before with just the cat back fabspeed on it..

The following 2 users liked this post by Justin76:
Ratchet1025 (05-25-2022), TheChunkNorris (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 01:35 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Not certain what to make of the pre-mod dyno with the low numbers. Tough to tell what/if there any gains with the mods. However, with each dyno pull with the mods, you can see improvement. Don't know if it's the ecu learning and recalibration during each pull or what.

The M&M headers are supposed to improve the low/midrange power in combination with upper mid range to higher range power improvements of the cats.

Does your butt dyno feel a difference? If so, where in the powerband?

are you running an ipd plenum and throttle body?

I know that when i added my fvd 200 cell cats and mufflers, it added mid and upper range power. I could most definitely feel it on the track.

A few years later when I added the competition plenum and throttle body, my powerband shifted much higher, loosing power in the midrange and moving the power to the top end. As previously mentioned, when we dynoed the addition of the ipd/tb, there no was no power gain on the dyno with the ipd/tb. We instead lost power and had to spend the afternoon reworking the tune to get it back to even. Still not certain how Lee Sibley got any gains. But I will find out.

On the track, the change in powerband was very noticeable at certain turns where i had the power to exit in 3rd before the plenum/tb, after adding the plenum/throttle body, I had to exit in 2nd at higher rpm to catch the powerband. I then had to adjust where I was going to shift to maintain the cars balance. PITA but doable.

I am hoping the M&M headers will provide a gain in power to the mid range as well as provide some maximization of the ipd/tb as FVD suggests. I am going to give the headers a try but not until next year. Still have to add the UIDS and Oil Cooler later this year when they are available.

Last edited by GC996; 05-25-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Justin76 (05-25-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 02:25 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Not certain what to make of the pre-mod dyno with the low numbers. Tough to tell what/if there any gains with the mods. However, with each dyno pull with the mods, you can see improvement. Don't know if it's the ecu learning and recalibration during each pull or what.

The M&M headers are supposed to improve the low/midrange power in combination with upper mid range to higher range power improvements of the cats.

Does your butt dyno feel a difference? If so, where in the powerband?

are you running an ipd plenum and throttle body?

I know that when i added my fvd 200 cell cats and mufflers, it added mid and upper range power. I could most definitely feel it on the track.

A few years later when I added the competition plenum and throttle body, my powerband shifted much higher, loosing power in the midrange and moving the power to the top end. As previously mentioned, when we dynoed the addition of the ipd/tb, there no was no power gain on the dyno with the ipd/tb. We instead lost power and had to spend the afternoon reworking the tune to get it back to even. Still not certain how Lee Sibley got any gains. But I will find out.

On the track, the change in powerband was very noticeable at certain turns where i had the power to exit in 3rd before the plenum/tb, after adding the plenum/throttle body, I had to exit in 2nd at higher rpm to catch the powerband. I then had to adjust where I was going to shift to maintain the cars balance. PITA but doable.

I am hoping the M&M headers will provide a gain in power to the mid range as well as provide some maximization of the ipd/tb as FVD suggests. I am going to give the headers a try but not until next year. Still have to add the UIDS and Oil Cooler later this year when they are available.
honestly it feels like a completely different car after about 3600rpm.. way more power up top and feels close to the same below that.

The ECU tune had already been uploaded a week previously. It is normal for the factory ECU wiht or with out tune to learn on it's own during the dyno process. usually by the 3rd pull it has figured out the maximum WHP based off of learning. This is also why most all dyno tuners do 3 pulls standard. He did also say he wants me to come back and get a custom tune once he secures the my genius system for tuning so he can get more out of it.

I listed the only mods that have been done above which doesn't include the IPD plenum or throttle body. I may in the future but not right now.

As for Lee and his car.. remember it's a 3.4 so things are a little different on than ours. That's my opinion..

Old 05-25-2022, 03:34 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

3600 is great. Mine doesn't begin to really pull hard until after 4200. But the ipd/tb is what moved it up from ~3600. I would like to get it back down with the headers
Old 05-25-2022, 06:22 PM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

3600 is great. Mine doesn't begin to really pull hard until after 4200. But the ipd/tb is what moved it up from ~3600. I would like to get it back down with the headers
A good tuner can help shift the powerband some...
Old 05-26-2022, 09:37 AM
Justin76
Rennlist Member

Got lucky yesterday as I’m in Indianapolis for work this week and stopped by the Bell/OMP headquarters near the speedway and walked away with this upgrade…

The real treat was I was able to Meet Packy Wheeler who i chatted with for a while.. awesome guy who is a former racer. He was in town to work on the drivers helmets to get them ready for the Indy 500 as that is all he does these days since OMP purchased Bell.

The following 3 users liked this post by Justin76:
plpete84 (05-26-2022), Ratchet1025 (05-26-2022), zbomb (05-26-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 09:54 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Oh boy that is fancy as F. I would have to be a much better driver to deserve a helmet like that

Quick Reply: My Build thread..