996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump UIDS v2.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 10:25 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,589 Likes on 2,079 Posts

This graph is from a recent Race at Road Amercia during a race showing a 2006 Cayman with the Mantic Sump through the Carousel, a place that a LOT of engines fail.

Old 10-01-2022, 10:30 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

This one is the same Race at Road America with a 2006 Cayman with UIDS (doesn't have UAOS Track Version ) through the Carousel...on less than 9 qts oil

The following users liked this post:
GC996 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 10:41 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,290 Likes on 1,810 Posts

I would have stayed out, but since you posted my data, I'll consider that an invitation to participate.

Whats with the 1 bar max pressure difference between the 2 Cayman's ?

The non UIDS is 4.5 bar and the UIDS equipped car is 3.5.

And why do you keep trimming the data, post the full data set. Send it to @golock911 and let him analyze it like he did mine.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

This one is also at Road Amercia showing the Carousel, The Kink , and Canada Corner with the UIDS on the 2006 Cayman ( without UAOS ) and does show a little drop in Canada Corner...I have already designed a new baffle that will correct this and will add to the cost of the UIDS $100 although with the addition of UAOS Track Version this little dip would probably not have been there...

BTW this car placed 2nd in all three races ( 2 Sprint Races and 1 Enduro )at Road America recently and has 10 Sprint Races and 5 Enduro's with about 400 practice laps on the UIDS..( the car with the Mantis Sump placed 3rd in all three), there season is over but will have the UAOS Track Version on for next season..

But this kind of Extreme Testing takes time, and also it takes time for me to actually make things...( health is not great) .

Last edited by Porschetech3; 10-01-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:00 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
I would have stayed out, but since you posted my data, I'll consider that an invitation to participate.

Whats with the 1 bar max pressure difference between the 2 Cayman's ?

The non UIDS is 4.5 bar and the UIDS equipped car is 3.5.

And why do you keep trimming the data, post the full data set. Send it to @golock911 and let him analyze it like he did mine.
The Cayman with the UIDS had his engine fail at Road America 2 years ago and the engine was rebuilt with what has been assumed as more clearance in the bearings..the one with the Mantis Sump has the factory clearance on the bearings..( I just found this out) ...

I don't need any help analyzing the data..lol and I don't trust the people who comment on the data I post. You can see from the Dyno Graph thread that you have that people will just dream up scenarios to ask questions about..The DATA should speak for its self, but people will still read into whats there..

You have even already questioned the oil pressure and even wrongly assumed it was before and after....The data is what it is.....but don't dream up stuff...

Last edited by Porschetech3; 10-01-2022 at 11:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:24 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
The Cayman with the UIDS had his engine fail at Road America 2 years ago and the engine was rebuilt with what has been assumed as more clearance in the bearings..the one with the Mantis Sump has the factory clearance on the bearings..( I just found this out) ...

I don't need any help analyzing the data..lol and I don't trust the people who comment on the data I post. You can see from the Dyno Graph thread that you have that people will just dream up scenarios to ask questions about..The DATA should speak for its self, but people will still read into whats there..

You have even already questioned the oil pressure and even wrongly assumed it was before and after...I never said that...The data is what it is.....
Looks like you need help posting a full lap - there is no reason to parse the data, it's MORE work than just posting a full lap the way Aim spits it out. And this not trusting people thing is such a load of bull****. Its called a conversation. I'll tell you what I've learned not to trust, parsed data, the old "look over here, not over there, there's nothing over there".

I didn't assume it was before and after in the above, I specifically call out 2 cars.

In our previous exchange that reflected low max oil pressure, I did assume it was from the same car based off the statement you made which is below, no problem, I'll own that:

Below is what happens when you don't have UIDS through the same turns....
​​​​​​

The last time the question of the low max oil pressure was broached, your response was:

The oil pressure measured 3.7 bar also measured at the head which is about 2 bar less than at the pump ( would be about 5.7 bar/82psi at the pump)
So, is the car here the same one as the one with the sensor in the head ?
Old 10-01-2022, 11:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
Looks like you need help posting a full lap - there is no reason to parse the data, it's MORE work than just posting a full lap the way Aim spits it out. And this not trusting people thing is such a load of bull****. Its called a conversation. I'll tell you what I've learned not to trust, parsed data, the old "look over here, not over there, there's nothing over there".

I didn't assume it was before and after in the above, I specifically call out 2 cars.

In our previous exchange that reflected low max oil pressure, I did assume it was from the same car based off the statement you made which is below, no problem, I'll own that:

​​​​​​

The last time the question of the low max oil pressure was broached, your response was:

So, is the car here the same one as the one with the sensor in the head ?
There you go again making a mountain out of a mole hill..You are not the only one looking and reading this stuff. Yes at first you wrongly assumed all the data was from the same car, even though I NEVER SAID IT WAS..

These cars are not mine so I don't know all the details on them.. BUT THE DATA IS WHAT IT IS..

Yes they are both measured at the head, same head, and yes it will be lower than YOUR car which is measured at the oil filter...

BTW :: Why are you badgering me about the oil pressure on this car???? It is what it has been since I or UIDS had anything to do with it...and hasn't changed in 15 races and 400 practice laps...I have nothing to do with his oil pressure..

Are you trying to say that the UIDS is CAUSING his oil pressure to be low??WTF???

Last edited by Porschetech3; 10-02-2022 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:57 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,825 Likes on 2,180 Posts

Let's not forget that Road America is a big boy track...

Big speed, long turns, real braking. Can't compare any other track in the US to it. Especially 2-2.5 mile long tracks. The carousel into the kink, thru thunder alley at 145 into Canada corner is uncomparable with a smaller track.

But you dont have to take my word for it. Just listen to every professional driver that has ever raced it. Uncomparable.

Last edited by GC996; 10-01-2022 at 11:59 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by GC996:
EVOMMM (10-02-2022), frederickcook87 (10-02-2022), JohnCA58 (10-02-2022), pdxmotorhead (10-02-2022), Porschetech3 (10-02-2022), wildbilly32 (10-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-02-2022, 12:59 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GC996
Let's not forget that Road America is a big boy track...

Big speed, long turns, real braking. Can't compare any other track in the US to it. Especially 2-2.5 mile long tracks. The carousel into the kink, thru thunder alley at 145 into Canada corner is uncomparable with a smaller track.

But you dont have to take my word for it. Just listen to every professional driver that has ever raced it. Uncomparable.

Yes, Big Boy Track for sure ......the Carousel is where he lost his engine 2 years ago when he was running the Mantis Sump. It is a very very long turn with high G-Forces that kills a LOT of engines if they can't handle G-forces....He will be installing the UAOS Track Version with 1qt more oil over the off season.

Here is a direct comparison of the UIDS vs Mantis through the Carousel, The Kink, Thunder Alley, and Canada Corner using their fastest laps of the day...( Note UIDS is running on less than 9qts oil and does not have the UAOS Track Version with extra 1qt )

Old 10-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

When accessing the oil delivery system on an engine, and in particular the Sump System , what you want to see is a straight line/base-line..

It doesn't matter what type Sump System you are looking at, be it WET, DRY, or INTEGRATED ...what you want to see is a straight line.....

In this type data being electrical it has a normal small "saw-tooth" pattern from not having any "Smoothing" ...So ignore the small " saw teeth" and consider that as straight..

The only exception to the straight base-line is if the RPM falls below the oil by-pass setting that is normally about 3500 rpm, then the base-line will follow RPM...

Any "large saw-teeth" or drops from the base-line are from air/oil mixture and is not desired due to not being good quality or pure oil..( air is not compressible ).

Simply put on ANY Sump System , WET,DRY,or INTEGRATED you want to see this.....

and NOT this.....

and this is especially desirable in "known problem areas", such as high G-Force corners......
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
EVOMMM (10-02-2022), frederickcook87 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 PM
Houtx996
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

When accessing the oil delivery system on an engine, and in particular the Sump System , what you want to see is a straight line/base-line..

It doesn't matter what type Sump System you are looking at, be it WET, DRY, or INTEGRATED ...what you want to see is a straight line.....

In this type data being electrical it has a normal small "saw-tooth" pattern from not having any "Smoothing" ...So ignore the small " saw teeth" and consider that as straight..

The only exception to the straight base-line is if the RPM falls below the oil by-pass setting that is normally about 3500 rpm, then the base-line will follow RPM...

Any "large saw-teeth" or drops from the base-line are from air/oil mixture and is not desired due to not being good quality or pure oil..( air is not compressible ).

Simply put on ANY Sump System , WET,DRY,or INTEGRATED you want to see this.....

and NOT this.....

and this is especially desirable in "known problem areas", such as high G-Force corners......
whats happening here? Why is it inversed from the comparison plot? similar inversion occurs towards the end. Is the timing off or data is accidently inversed, something else?

Edit:
If you shift that green plot to the left it seems to line up, across the data set, granted it's less extreme, but still present...seems like it could be a logging error.

Last edited by Houtx996; 10-02-2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:33 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Let's assume that the UAOS with track drain and extra oil solves 24% of oil pressure issues and the UIDS adds another 75% of protection from catastrophic oil pressure loss. This would in theory prevent most if not all oil pressure issues which again in theory could save the driver anywhere between 8-10k in a new engine plus labor plus downtime etc.

This above is why I bought the UIDS. I will admit I felt kind of strange when the track drain showed so much promise recently. However, I do not want to worry about oil pressure or my AOS ever again and I've bought both products to help reach this goal.

While the track drain with extra oil does seem to help with oil pressure I do not THINK that it does anything to prevent aeration of the oil. The UIDS oil pick design however seems like it would prevent any aerated oil from being picked up as it pulls from the very bottom of the sump.

A few words from a guy who has no idea what he is talking about but is a consumer who bought both products.

***edited to clarify my stance of which product I have more faith in controlling my oil pressure. The original theoretical numbers caused some question and this thread has already been through enough I'd hate to add to the confusion***

Last edited by Sveach756; 10-03-2022 at 09:55 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sveach756:
frederickcook87 (10-03-2022), JohnCA58 (10-02-2022), Porschetech3 (10-02-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 09:39 PM
Houtx996
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Sveach756
Let's assume that the UAOS with track drain and extra oil solves 75% of oil pressure issues and the UIDS adds another 24% of protection from catastrophic oil pressure loss. This would in theory prevent most if not all oil pressure issues which again in theory could save the driver anywhere between 8-10k in a new engine plus labor plus downtime etc.
I'm inclined to agree with you, looks like pressure drops are reduced and duration decreased...eliminated, no. Maybe thats good enough to solve the problem, don't know. Timing still looks off though.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:17 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sveach756
Let's assume that the UAOS with track drain and extra oil solves 75% of oil pressure issues and the UIDS adds another 24% of protection from catastrophic oil pressure loss. This would in theory prevent most if not all oil pressure issues which again in theory could save the driver anywhere between 8-10k in a new engine plus labor plus downtime etc.

This above is why I bought the UIDS. I will admit I felt kind of strange when the track drain showed so much promise recently. However, I do not want to worry about oil pressure or my AOS ever again and I've bought both products to help reach this goal.

While the track drain with extra oil does seem to help with oil pressure I do not THINK that it does anything to prevent aeration of the oil. The UIDS oil pick design however seems like it would prevent any aerated oil from being picked up as it pulls from the very bottom of the sump.

A few words from a guy who has no idea what he is talking about but is a consumer who bought both products.
Thanks Shawn, let me give you some more insight..

If you look at the data comparison on UAOS Track Version vs UAOS standard,, and also at the comparison of UIDS vs Mantis ( or another available m96 Sump ), while the UAOS Track Version does give a very nice improvement in" oil delivery stability", I would give it a 25% , and the UIDS I would give the 75% to ........
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
EVOMMM (10-02-2022), frederickcook87 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 10:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Last edited by zbomb; 10-02-2022 at 10:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Integrated Dry Sump UIDS v2.2