Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does anything actually solve the oil pressure drop in corners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:48 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
Well, I must be mixed up. I understand standard 996 engines have a scavenge pump for each cylinder head. Because of the symmetry, one of these pumps is in the front of the head and the other is in the rear. I thought the front pump was in the driver side / LH head and was the reason fast (high G load) uphill right hand turns starved the engine of oil. The oil accumulates in that head where the scavenge pump can't reach it to return it to the sump. I think I have the situation correct, but perhaps I am wrong about which head has the pump in the front (of the car).
No, you're right, if you look you will see there is plenty of reports that the right turns are the bigger problem.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Either way, some folks have had pressure drops on right sweepers, and others have had it on left sweepers. Deficient oiling system either way.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by zbomb
This makes a lot of sense.

Who manufactures the referenced dry sump system and is it currently available ?
Its a system I developed. Its an option on all Stage 3 and Stage 4 engines built here at Flat 6.

Again, the key is to keep oil temps in check, and use a proper oil. Right oil, right place, right time, and in the right pressure are the basic fundamentals of lubrication. The shape and size of the stock sump area is another problem with oil control.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:22 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Its a system I developed. Its an option on all Stage 3 and Stage 4 engines built here at Flat 6.

Again, the key is to keep oil temps in check, and use a proper oil. Right oil, right place, right time, and in the right pressure are the basic fundamentals of lubrication. The shape and size of the stock sump area is another problem with oil control.
I have been thinking about adding a large external cooler.

Do you (would you) sell dry sump discrete ? You can feel free to PM me detail.

I currently run SPOFA, 1042, 2QT LN and XP9 oil.

Last edited by zbomb; 09-17-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Do you (would you) sell dry sump discrete ? You can feel free to PM me detail.
No, I do not sell any parts of my engines. The only commodity that we have is a complete engine. This focus is what separates us from all the folks out there that try to sell anything they can get their hands on.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:31 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No, I do not sell any parts of my engines. The only commodity that we have is a complete engine. This focus is what separates us from all the folks out there that try to sell anything they can get their hands on.
OK, then we’re back to there is not currently a dry sump available as yours are are only available for those purchasing one of your motors.

Last edited by zbomb; 09-17-2020 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Corrected deep sump to dry sump
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (12-26-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

OK, then we’re back to there is not currently a deep sump available as yours are are only available for those purchasing one of your motors.
Not deep sump, dry sump.

Which makes it existing, and available.

A few people have built their own systems using other commercially available pumps, and tanks/ etc. Most of them learned a huge lesson on their first try, and so did I. Lots of the internal oil system has to change if you add a dry sump. These are internal mods to passageways, and that iOS why I believe the engine has to be manipulated during the build process to fit a dry sump that will be effective.
Packaging of the system is the biggest challenge.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:44 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Sure, I will be more deliberate in my wording.

Unless you purchase as a component on a FSI engine, there are no dry sump kits available for our motors and that is too bad for those of us that would be interested in purchasing.

If I am ever in your que, I’d be interested in discussing with you your setup.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Unless you purchase as a component on a FSI engine, there are no dry sump kits available for our motors and that is too bad for those of us that would be interested in purchasing.

Even if a "kit" were available, you'd not be able to optimize the oil system for proper dry sump oiling without full engine disassembly. This is the reason why a kit of components to make this work would be less than effective.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

@zbomb your experience mirrors mine. On the 3rd or 4th heat on track days is when I start to notice oil pressure drops and more sloshing of oil with the potential of overwhelming the aos. My car almost always ends up with a little smoke from the tailpipe on the last start up before I go home as some oil gets into the intake. My plan was to go with the Mantis 1.2 deep sump as the larger one eats up too much ground clearance next year and live with it. I now will not push the car for too many consecutive laps without a cool down lap in between as well as a proper cool down in the parking area after a track session. I also leave the car idling for 2-3 min for the aos to cycle a bit before shutting it off. I think the reality is that it is too cost prohibitive to "bulletproof" a M96 motor for heavy track use and you either drive around it or live with the wear and tear (or spend $30k on a FSI motor in which case you have more options in porsche ownership IMO).
zbomb (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 04:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Chris Cervelli at Cervelli Technical Service designed a dry sump kit. I believe he's only run it on boxsters but could potentially be used on a 911. I would reach out to him. Be forewarned, the cost will likely be 6k+, plus install, which is not trivial

Do your external oil cooler (keep the lines short) and run xp9 or xp6. Then keep the revs below redline. And pray.
Old 09-17-2020, 05:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Packaging is a lot easier in the Boxster.. You have a lot more real estate to work with due to the trunk area, and etc.
Yes- 6K+ is a real figure for a system like this. At that, there's hardly any margin in it for the person who designs/ builds the setup.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:18 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I have an oil pick up that is modified. It is based on the principle of the oil pick up in an airplane. There they use it for flying upside down. So a dual pickup in a vertical orientation as for the plane. Becomes a horizontal configuration in the sump of the car.

The pick up is T-shaped with baffles on each distal end left and right in the sump.

The baffles slide back and forth under centrifugal force in a curve to open the pick up at the side where the oil is moving due to centrifugal force.

Works like a charm. Whatever oil is available piles up on one side of the sump where the pick up is open. You can even see the oil pressure going up at certain point as the oil column at the inlet at the outside side of the curve becomes much higher in the curve as all the oil is there. The extra pressure at the inlet due to the extra height of the oil level compared to normal helps the oil pump.

Unfortunately I have no picture of it. Kind of a secret of my mechanic.
Tom Loder (09-21-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:03 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Silk
I have an oil pick up that is modified. It is based on the principle of the oil pick up in an airplane. There they use it for flying upside down. So a dual pickup in a vertical orientation as for the plane. Becomes a horizontal configuration in the sump of the car.

The pick up is T-shaped with baffles on each distal end left and right in the sump.

The baffles slide back and forth under centrifugal force in a curve to open the pick up at the side where the oil is moving due to centrifugal force.

Works like a charm. Whatever oil is available piles up on one side of the sump where the pick up is open. You can even see the oil pressure going up at certain point as the oil column at the inlet at the outside side of the curve becomes much higher in the curve as all the oil is there. The extra pressure at the inlet due to the extra height of the oil level compared to normal helps the oil pump.

I saw my first one of these in the mid 1980s in a dirt track car. Some have been made to float in the pool of oil, others pivot to follow the pool of oil as the inertia moves it in the sump. These were first employed on moonshine cars that would later form NASCAR.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk

Do you mind sharing who your mechanic is? Ive drawn up plans for something similar but if its already been done id rather not reinvent wheel.

Quick Reply: Does anything actually solve the oil pressure drop in corners?