Stock air box vs. K+N CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 01:08 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
K&N is one of the best advertising companies ever. They totally solve a problem
that doesn’t exist while creating problems that didn’t exist. And they make a big profit doing it.
Yup! Marketing is how most companies push products that don't solve anything. It happens around us every single day. And guess what! It works!

K&N did a GREAT job at it! Made so much money off people who think the "5 HP gain" is noticeable. I fell for it!

Same goes for "drilled and slotted" rotors. The 996 never needed these rotors on them from the factory. They only did it to help sell cars. Race cars have them, so putting them on passenger cars tricks people into thinking their car is a race car. Forget the fact that 99.9% of the cars will never be driven to actually use them.

I know it's rare, but how many times have we heard someone brag about how much more HP they have or someone who loves to run down the list of their mods. K&N is just one company to profit handsomely off those people. Kudos to them!

"Horsepower sells cars" and aftermarket parts!

Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 AM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

I partially agree,, at "normal" engine performance levels the difference from a K&N or really any other filter is mice nuts..

However,, a 406 sprint motor on methanol with Hillborn injection at 15:1+ compression...
But we are talking about a air filter that is almost as big as the engine.. Paper system vs K&N vs ITG the
K&N out powered the ITG on the engine dyno at the flywheel by about 8 HP,, but the
Foam ITG was SOOO much easier to maintain.
Does 8HP matter when your moving north of 800.. Not so much IMHO..

the K&N didn't muffle the intake as much,, so sound-wise it won.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
I partially agree,, at "normal" engine performance levels the difference from a K&N or really any other filter is mice nuts..

However,, a 406 sprint motor on methanol with Hillborn injection at 15:1+ compression...
But we are talking about a air filter that is almost as big as the engine.. Paper system vs K&N vs ITG the
K&N out powered the ITG on the engine dyno at the flywheel by about 8 HP,, but the
Foam ITG was SOOO much easier to maintain.
Does 8HP matter when your moving north of 800.. Not so much IMHO..

the K&N didn't muffle the intake as much,, so sound-wise it won.
If the filter is a restriction you get a bigger filter. 800 hp 9k rpm small blocks run just fine on Wix paper.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Someone probably got tired of buying the Bosch MAF only to have it fail. That's due to being covered in oil, and fouled from the open element air filter, and the oil they treated it with.
There's NOTHING good that come from these intakes. I am not saying this because I am a purist, I am saying it because I have 18 years of direct experience proving they are inferior to a stock airbox.
I'm in the market for a stock 3.8 box. If you happen to come across one in the next few months please let me know
Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_996
My .02... I have a 2001 996 C2 Cab with approx 87,000 miles on it. I purchased it about a year ago and one of the first mods I did was to install the IPD Competition plenum, 82mm GT3 throttle body and a K&N CAI. I also got a tune installed and swapped the exhaust for a complete Top Gear system including the 200 cell sport cat x-pipe. I also replaced the original MAF sensor and the O2 sensors both pre and post cat. Very happy with the sound, especially from 5K to 7K rpm, but I felt like I lost some low end torque and smoothness as the engine winds up.

So today I re-installed the stock air box, but with the silicone tube (air box to TB) and rubber cap (to block off the air box muffler) from IPD, along with a new BMC air filter. Took it for about an 80 mile drive over a mix of expressways and two lane roads and I gotta say that overall the stock airbox with the above mods is superior to the K&N set up. Smoother response, no hesitation on the way up and still sounds awesome at WOT. No discernible change in the butt dyno IMHO.

I ended up wrestling with the new silicone air pipe a lot more than I expected since it is very stiff and frankly seemed a bit too long, but I was able to get everything seated and tight.

So I guess I now have a K&N CAI to put on ebay...
Maybe you have the wrong size elbow for you 82mm throttle body?
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM
bill_996
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Maybe you have the wrong size elbow for you 82mm throttle body?
Hey Bill, yeah I was thinking that might be the problem... I have a 2001 996 with a 3.4 and perhaps the elbow was intended for another year/engine. Was looking at the model-specific one on FSI's website and am considering that one since the air box is sitting up a little bit even though it is bolted in... I may try trimming this one down to match the stock elbow first.

I also tried installing the stock elbow (with the orange cap mod) but wasn't able to get it to stretch onto the 82mm TB.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 03-24-2020, 01:29 PM
ssgunny
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bill_996
I also tried installing the stock elbow (with the orange cap mod) but wasn't able to get it to stretch onto the 82mm TB.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Placing the end of the stock elbow in hot water may help stretch it on to the TB.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:03 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Weazer
When I purchased my 996, it came with a new K&N cold air kit uninstalled. So I installed it and got one code, cleared the code and it never came back. I like the look and sound of it compared to the original, and it has a sheet metal box/shroud that isolates the conical air filter from the rest of the engine compartment and vents directly to the original cold air snorkel. I dig it and its not causing me any problems, so I'm keeping it!
not only that^^^, but it frees up a lot of space back there
Old 03-26-2020, 05:11 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by *Eastep*
Am I the only one, who's never "oiled" a K&N or any other fabric type filter before?
no, ....the nylon cover over the filter gets washed in the laundry occasionally
Old 03-26-2020, 06:05 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Looneybin
got a vid of that?
Nope, if posted it would offend someone.
We can only film the unicorn and rainbow stuff. It leaves the viewer with that warm, and fuzzy feeling they are looking for.
The following users liked this post:
808Bill (03-26-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 04:21 PM
thebutterson
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's a video on the dyno test of a 997 3.6 tiptronic that shows the "CAI" is actually an HAI "Hot Air Intake" and loses power. I had one of these on my '02 C2 and did like the sound, but replaced it with a stock intake after reading many reports about the stock intake working better.
Mike Murphy (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 04:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by thebutterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9c07qCuKY

Here's a video on the dyno test of a 997 3.6 tiptronic that shows the "CAI" is actually an HAI "Hot Air Intake" and loses power. I had one of these on my '02 C2 and did like the sound, but replaced it with a stock intake after reading many reports about the stock intake working better.
I could show you about 500 just like that.
People never listen. Thats ok, they pay for it later "even though their's runs fine with it".

Look at MAF values before and after, fuel trim before and after, and then wait for the trend data. When exposed to these cars from all over the planet, and the engines are all you do, you connect the dots. Sometimes it takes years, but the dots turn into plots.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:53 PM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the difference between the 997 3.6 and 3.8 airboxes?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by thebutterson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9c07qCuKY

Thanks for posting this video. Kind of neat, but I think one "flaw" is that the car should be actually moving vs just sitting standstill on a dyno. Air should be flowing around the car. That will potentially feed the intake with higher flowing air, as well as potentially keeping the engine bay temps down. However, this could open up new challenges for the mod, so who knows.

With that said, thinking that any of these mods will increase power, and the increases in power actually be enough to actually feel is where there's a disconnect. Most people dont realize that as base hp increases, the amount of hp increase needs to be greater to be felt.

20 hp increase on a 4 cylinder is not the same as a 20 hp increase on a 6 cylinder. HP increases is all relative.

Hoping to get power increases out of these engines will only leave the owner disappointed and less money in their bank accounts. There aren't any worthwhile bolt-on modifications for the M96 that the butt dyno will detect.

Now if your main goal is just to make the car sound better, intake and exhaust mods are a good choice.
Porschetech3 (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 07:01 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 638 Posts

40th Steve - Reference Streather, the difference between the 3.6/M96.05 and 3.8/M97.01 boxes, other than the plate, was the 3.8 box had a vacuum resonance flap installed. Air flow-wise, I’m not sure. Both 997 boxes are more air tight (keeps intake air cooler) than the older M96 box and visually look to have more interior volume.

Quick Reply: Stock air box vs. K+N CAI