Sponsored by:

UAOS install/tips/tricks

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 10:04 AM
blacksquid
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Almost, i was trying to get free shipping but i found something i actually needed. Also, not sure i could shell out $30 for a plastic wrench
but it's ... Notta Wrench
Old 12-28-2020, 03:38 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,623 Likes on 2,098 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksquid
but it's ... Notta Wrench
Heck, I'm just glad to see more innovative ides on the repair/maintenance of our 996 cars !! Especially with all the difficulties of the UAOS/AOS install being talked about..

Hell I can can think of MANY more difficult procedures than this one !! Someone needs to create a specific tool for the "bitch bolt" on the 996.2 !!!!

Dr. h. c. Porschetech3
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
blacksquid (12-29-2020), JohnCA58 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 03:31 PM
GPappy
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Ordered mine today! Thanks Skip!

Now all I have to do is finish getting my shop ready so that I can drop the engine to see if I will be doing new heads or swapping for my other motor. Long story.

Happy New Year everyone.

GP
Old 12-30-2020, 05:59 PM
jdbornem
Pro

Received 500 Likes on 257 Posts

Done!

Wow, the last bit is super fiddley!
There is a slight flex in the line between the oil reservoir and the URO diaphragm, because the angle of the connector on the back of the diaphragm is slightly different than the intake port. I separated the reservoir fron the diaphragm, attached the diaphragm to the intake, then put the reservoir on the aluminum hardline, then connected the center tube back to the diaphragm.
Then I worried about alignment to the mounting points and got it loosely screwed in place.
Then I worked the bracket, which I bent, cut a new slot to reverse the solenoid, and painted it black.

Lastly, I put the brake booster line in place. I'm not to satisfied with it at all, as there is just no room for it, and it is jammed in pretty tight. But I can't find any other way. There is some stress on the booster hardline right now to get up above the reservoir.

Overall though, the UAOS a really nice piece equipment, and I'm excited to start it up. But it may be a little while yet, as I have other items to finish up, and the weather is too wet/cold anyway.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:27 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPappy
Ordered mine today! Thanks Skip!

Now all I have to do is finish getting my shop ready so that I can drop the engine to see if I will be doing new heads or swapping for my other motor. Long story.

Happy New Year everyone.

GP
Thanks for your support Greg !!

Originally Posted by jdbornem
Done!

Wow, the last bit is super fiddley!
There is a slight flex in the line between the oil reservoir and the URO diaphragm, because the angle of the connector on the back of the diaphragm is slightly different than the intake port. I separated the reservoir fron the diaphragm, attached the diaphragm to the intake, then put the reservoir on the aluminum hardline, then connected the center tube back to the diaphragm.
Then I worried about alignment to the mounting points and got it loosely screwed in place.
Then I worked the bracket, which I bent, cut a new slot to reverse the solenoid, and painted it black.

Lastly, I put the brake booster line in place. I'm not to satisfied with it at all, as there is just no room for it, and it is jammed in pretty tight. But I can't find any other way. There is some stress on the booster hardline right now to get up above the reservoir.

Overall though, the UAOS a really nice piece equipment, and I'm excited to start it up. But it may be a little while yet, as I have other items to finish up, and the weather is too wet/cold anyway.
Thanks for the feedback and nice pics Josh !!! Well done
Old 01-05-2021, 05:37 PM
abossana
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I have read through all the threads regarding the UAOS so I can grasp the inner workings of the oem system vs the improved system. I think i have a good understanding how the UAOS uses the oem AOS as a vortex/ drain back port to the engine while also using a new easily accessible diaphragm for future maintenance. I realize the UAOS has a catch basin to collect and detect oil before it can enter the intake. What i don't understand is what happens after the OEM AOS eventually fails ? Does the catch basin just continue to fill up with oil on a regular basis if the engine has excessive blow by ?

edit: I think i answered my own question. The newly mounted diaphragm wont suck massive amounts of oil unless it has also failed and it would be signaled by the infrared sensor and then just change the easily accessed new diaphragm.

Last edited by abossana; 01-05-2021 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abossana
I have read through all the threads regarding the UAOS so I can grasp the inner workings of the oem system vs the improved system. I think i have a good understanding how the UAOS uses the oem AOS as a vortex/ drain back port to the engine while also using a new easily accessible diaphragm for future maintenance. I realize the UAOS has a catch basin to collect and detect oil before it can enter the intake. What i don't understand is what happens after the OEM AOS eventually fails ? Does the catch basin just continue to fill up with oil on a regular basis if the engine has excessive blow by ?
In the UAOS system, the OEM AOS "diaphragm" is disabled and "permanently sealed" making it a "lifetime part" which still serves as an air/oil separator with drain-back, but is just a "pass through" on the flow regulation. ( so since the diaphragm is dissabled and sealed, it doesn't mater if it has a hole in it or not)... The New flow regulator is mounted at an easy to access location near the throttle body for service if necessary. The Accumulator functions as an additional air/oil separator that collects any oil that the OEM AOS misses to stop ANY oil from getting to the engine,, and has a warning Infra-red sensor to notify operator of any "collection of oil" in the Accumulator.

It's a mechanically simple system, but is Technically very advanced and superior to the OEM AOS design or the Motorsport AOS design.. Hope this explanation helps !!

Dr. h. c. Porschetech3

UAOS shown without "modified OEM AOS and Custom breather hose"

Old 01-05-2021, 07:26 PM
abossana
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

making good scene now. On a 2000 tiptronic car can the atmospheric port be sealed without removal of all the same components needed to change to whole OEM AOS unit ?
Old 01-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abossana
making good scene now. On a 2000 tiptronic car can the atmospheric port be sealed without removal of all the same components needed to change to whole OEM AOS unit ?
No, best to get the pre-sealed AOS with the UAOS and install.

Sealing the Atmosphere port is very important, and must be sealed completely. Doing this in situ has proven to be impossible for almost everyone,( and the ones who did it had to use excessive amounts of sealer to insure a positive seal.)

Every UAOS I sell now comes with the "pre-sealed Lifetime AOS"...and to ""Celebrate the 1 Year Anniversary of the UAOS, all orders that haven't shipped out yet and all New Orders made untill 1/20/2021 will get the Black Anodized Aluminum Accumulator as a gift at no extra cost for Rennlisters.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 01-05-2021 at 07:52 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
blacksquid (01-06-2021), cun65458 (01-05-2021), dporto (01-06-2021), george_west (01-09-2021), SoundnSpeed (01-05-2021), TexSquirrel (01-05-2021), zbomb (01-05-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-07-2021, 01:59 PM
JC68
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I hope my order haven’t shipped!
The following users liked this post:
TexSquirrel (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 03:19 PM
sdematt
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 282 Posts

I hope my order hasn't shipped as well! :P
Old 01-07-2021, 06:05 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JC68
I hope my order haven’t shipped!
Hasn't shipped yet, you will get the Black Aluminum Accumulator..

Originally Posted by sdematt
I hope my order hasn't shipped as well! :P
Hasn't shipped yet, I will cover the Customs/Extra shipping (since its going out of the US) and you ordered the upgrade version.

I just wanted to say thank you to Rennlisters who have recognized a good product that will help keep 996 engines from failing unnecessarily, and add to their longevity, not to mention the PITA (and cost) of having to replace the AOS every few years as suggested by people who have had/seen them fail multiple times on the same car.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 01-07-2021 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:17 AM
Mootang
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sooo, I think I am encountering an issue. I have the UAOS (recently upgraded to the alum one) for about 900 miles now and recently I am getting my warning "low coolant" sensor tripping off more often. I got a new coolant sensor and now the warning is triggered every start up. I also notice about after every ~50 miles of driving, I would go drain the accumulator and a shot (like a a hard liquor amount of a shot glass) of water and maybe a little bit of oil would come out. I get a feeling this is definitely not good? Don't think the UAOS is failing, but more like working and telling me I should look into this now?
Old 01-12-2021, 04:31 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mootang
Sooo, I think I am encountering an issue. I have the UAOS (recently upgraded to the alum one) for about 900 miles now and recently I am getting my warning "low coolant" sensor tripping off more often. I got a new coolant sensor and now the warning is triggered every start up. I also notice about after every ~50 miles of driving, I would go drain the accumulator and a shot (like a a hard liquor amount of a shot glass) of water and maybe a little bit of oil would come out. I get a feeling this is definitely not good? Don't think the UAOS is failing, but more like working and telling me I should look into this now?
If you have a warning every start up, you have a loose connection..

I know of this issue of "false warning" on some cars due to "glitches" from the microprocessor in the Sensor and have re-designed the warning circuit / wiring harness and is confirmed to fix the issue.

The relay is removed and replaced with a 470 ohm resistor and a simplified wiring solves the issue.It's a pretty simple fix,I can send you one out as soon as I get a shipment of Sensors that are coming from the UK that have been ordered for a month..

As far as water collection in the Accumulator, it will always be a little there and is constantly evaporating and depending on the heat and the length of your drives, will be more or less. All the combustion gases or blow-by gases are 13% water vapor.

Last edited by Porschetech3; 01-12-2021 at 05:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mootang (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 11:43 AM
tj007m
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

How should I order?

Quick Reply: UAOS install/tips/tricks