Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question: OEM Taco, OEM Carrera or Ducktail?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:25 PM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought an OEM Carrera spoiler (Aeros on the market were either damaged or too expensive).

Anyone have instructions on how to install the Carrera spoiler? I've looked high and low and found nothing in installation... Thx in advance for any insight....
Old 03-12-2020, 04:57 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the Misha GT2M.

The following 3 users liked this post by professorman:
911h20 (01-27-2021), cun65458 (01-28-2021), paddlefoot64 (08-17-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 AM
popster_23
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golfmanlk
Was the Shaw Aero perfect fitment? I like... I had a taco/aero purchased last night from a guy from Lithuania. Paid his asking price, sent him $, and he returned it this morning saying he got a better offer! Totally bummed but will charge ahead and find something!
I bought that taco... he had originally sold it to me but when I went to pay it had disappeared from my ebay purchases and he told me he sold it to someone who gave him a deposit.. guess who ever sent the money first got it. The original price he agreed on with shipping was 1473.00Euro. After he sold it out from under me I talked to him again and asked how much did he need for it... he told me give him 2000.00Euro and that would include shipping. I felt ripped off but I gave it to him. I will install later this year with the rest of the aero kit bumpers and door sills.. all original.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (08-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:16 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a Taco style Gt3 wing, its definitely not OEM, and have two questions.

1 - Does anyone have mesh grills were the inserts are located up top

2 - Anyone have issues with getting the rubber air snorkel to fit on the decklid? This is probably what I get for getting an aftermarket non OEM one, but for some reason I can't get it to fit! The mesh i'll probably just add some black and attach underneath, but figured i'd check before I did it
Old 08-17-2020, 02:22 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

I have an mk2 porsche aerokit 2 wing in my mk 1. No mesh and it doesnt seem to be an issue. Also no rubber boot either. I just figured the po lost it or it fell off. maybe it just doesnt fit? Either way it hasnt been an issue.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:28 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

Ah interesting, so the rubber boot that would make the connection to the little tube housing below it connected to the stock intake isn't sealed essentially? I wasn't sure if I would be losing any type of performance by not having that connected, or if for some reason that would cause rain or water to get into the sides? It looks like the guy before me didnt have his connected either but he had an aftermarket intake..hmm maybe that answers the question for me right there?..I just wasn't sure if its needed for the stock box to keep it running clean and everything
Old 08-17-2020, 02:35 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,427 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by JRoz
Hey Guys,

I just picked up a Taco style Gt3 wing, its definitely not OEM, and have two questions.

1 - Does anyone have mesh grills were the inserts are located up top
Nope, but I've thought about adding them.

2 - Anyone have issues with getting the rubber air snorkel to fit on the decklid? This is probably what I get for getting an aftermarket non OEM one, but for some reason I can't get it to fit! The mesh i'll probably just add some black and attach underneath, but figured i'd check before I did it
Mine kept falling off and I got tired of putting it back on.
So it is no longer there.
It's in a tub along with all the smaller removed factory parts.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:38 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

haha alright i'm glad there's 2 others out there..does anyone know what that actually does? I know its gone when you go with an aftermarket intake, but what does it actually do? I think I read somewhere its supposed to divert rain? I've read elsewhere its supposed to give clean air (compared to what)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:46 PM
paddlefoot64
Pro

Received 189 Likes on 134 Posts

Which one of the three, would require no intake mod for 996.2 C4S, OEM Carrera, taco or ducktail?
Old 08-17-2020, 03:05 PM
JRoz
Rennlist Member

wait... De Jeeper and TexSquirrel..do you both have aftermarket air intake? I think this only really matters if you are still using the stock airbox right? Tex looks like you have a sweet fabspeed set up
Old 08-17-2020, 03:43 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,427 Likes on 1,292 Posts

wait... De Jeeper and TexSquirrel..do you both have aftermarket air intake? I think this only really matters if you are still using the stock airbox right? Tex looks like you have a sweet fabspeed set up
Correct, that's why I quit worrying about it and left it off.
With the factory intake it would allow hot air in, so I suggest finding a way to attach it. (Silicone?)

With the Fabspeed there's a carbon fiber shield that blocks most of the hot air from entering the intake.
I've monitored my IAT and noticed minimal change(1 or 2degF) in IAT even with stop and go traffic.
The "oh my gosh you're going to have extremely high IAT with a Fabspeed intake" mantra is not valid in my experience.
I think if I cut a second hole in my Taco deck that I'd have cooler IAT, but it's not really a concern and I'm down here in hot humid Houston.
I did have a MAF sensor die after I installed the Fabspeed intake...yeah over two years later...
Of course you're not going to get huge HP gains by installing the Fabspeed intake in my experience, but it looks and sounds great!

My passenger window regulator died right after I had a new roof installed on my house...cause and effect, hmm?
I'll step down off my Pro-Fabspeed soapbox now.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:51 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,465 Likes on 1,824 Posts

Nope mine is a factory intake. The boot would just make a better seal for the intake just like a stock trunk lid.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:44 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 996 aero carrera badge location?

Anyone with an aero/taco rear spoiler know exactly where to place “carrera” badge? Thx
Old 01-24-2021, 01:28 AM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by golfmanlk
Looking for a rear spoiler for my 2001 C2 coupe. Really wanted an OEM Aero (taco), but, hard to find for reasonable price. second option is OEM Carrera spoiler, but, these are pretty hard to find as well and maybe not as attractive/aggressive as the OEM Aero. Third option is a ducktail spoiler (non OEM) made by several different vendors. What would you do?
Since i am partial. Just love the original GT3 look.

85eurocarrera (01-24-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:05 PM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 541 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by professorman
I have the Misha GT2M.

how does that look with the top down? got a pic?

Here's mine...

and I LOVE this look!!!

fxmixer (01-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Question: OEM Taco, OEM Carrera or Ducktail?