Sponsored by:

Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 02:51 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
They make fittings that u can slip into the flexible hose if u cut off the aluminum section. U just slip it in and clamp the metal rings down. I had to use a repair union in one of my lines. I could have converted it to a standard ac fitting. One of the rings broke so i used s hose clamp.

Thanks for sharing this! I might just go this route, I have all the OEM hoses and this would make things much easier. I'll take some pics as I go along. I won't be able to look at my setup until mid-June.

Originally Posted by mikes70
Wow. Just read this whole thread!
Very nice!
I' love seeing these swaps, brings my two worlds together., Camaro's and Carrera's
Did the LS swap in my 70 Camaro, worth every single penny and frustration. the swap is 8 years old now and has 23,000 reliable miles on it and has seen 19 states.

this is intriguing. I hope u keep and continue to hot rod. love me some outlaw.....
Thank you! I didn't realize I had other replies so I just saw yours. 70s Camaros have always been a favorite of mine. The lines of the car and the layout of the interior has always been appealing. The style of those 70s muscle cars is unprecedented IMO.

I'll keep hot rodding for sure. Hoping to start taking my 996 LS1 to a few HDPE and Autocross events this summer. I just need some AC, this cabin is HOT!

Originally Posted by Plumber452
If you're still looking for fittings try Coldhose in Ocala, FL Great company and just helped me with my 996 LS swap. The DME is not grounding the A/C relay. Have you gotten yours done and is it working?

Thanks
Oh awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll keep them in mind as I had been looking at their fittings on their site. I'll may need two hoses made for the compressor side and just splice into the OEM P car hoses on the chassis side. I haven't done my AC setup yet, mid-June it looks like.

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
plumber 452-is the system charged and do you have the porsche small alternator wire connected ?I don't know the dme logic but do know the climate control must see engine running which is the alternator wire and the dme needs a signal from the low pressure a/c sensor/switch that there is 25 psi or so in the system .
This is great info, thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
That wire would have been part of the engine harness -on the big connectors x59/1 pin12
Ditto here, thanks for sharing this! Excellent info here on Rennlist, it's great!
Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

which alternator wire ?B would probably work .Quick check -is the instrument cluster battery idiot light on when key on engine not started ? and off with engine running ?
If yes on above then another simple test would be to probe the wire from the climate control to the dme -with engine on and ac engaged you should see a pwm voltage -that would prove climate control is calling for a/c .
Old 05-31-2022, 06:51 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,408 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Thanks for sharing this! I might just go this route, I have all the OEM hoses and this would make things much easier. I'll take some pics as I go along. I won't be able to look at my setup until mid-June.
I got that fittjng from Grainger. There is also Reddot and ProAir for automotive, industrial ac. Its not easily found but its out there..
Old 06-01-2022, 09:29 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Plumber452 -you probably know this but need to push auto button on climate control to engage a/c .I am assuming compressor is good since you had to run to fill system .Don't know how you are engaging fans but with a/c on low speed fan should be engaged .
Old 06-17-2022, 11:57 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Looking at the AC system and radiator fans.

Found the AC trigger wire in the engine bay, I had tucked it into the harness sheathing. Green wire with yellow stripe.

I also found the Porsche high side AC hose. I’m going to attempt to have a local AC shop make me a custom hose. If not I might cut and TIG weld.

I found the #12 pin blue wire on the top X51 plug. This had 12v signal with ign on. This is not routed to the alternator but I don’t have a battery light on the dash.

I do, however, have a CEL which is likely from the tach not working. I believe the DME needs a crank signal from the LS engine to work the tach and allow the DME to trigger the radiator fans. I have the P car water temp sensor in the LS1 head. I also have new radiator fans and resistors installed. I jumped each relay and confirmed all 4 fan speeds work in the relay module (2 hi and 2 lo). Other 996.1 LS swap guys say their fans work via the sensor but mine do not appear to be working when the engine is hot. The gauge does read lower than the LS sensor shows on the Holley Terminator X readout. I recall the 996 fan kick on temps being somewhat high and others have ran wires from their LS standalone harness to bypass the P car relays. I might have to give this a try to activate my fans and control the kick on temps myself.

I’m looking for advice on where to splice into the chassis wiring with my tach signal. I have a tach converter box to convert 24x signal to 58x essentially.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:24 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

The blue wire needs to be connected to the alternator -if gm alternator would be the l terminal .( best to verify terminals by your specific model ) .This will make dash light function and also enable abs and climate control .
Pins 35 and 36at dme activate fans ye/gn wires .35 is low 36 is high .They ground the fan relays for activation .No need to bypass relays .The engine speed sensor is a white wire to pin 78 at dme .
The following 2 users liked this post by dcdrechsel:
gtxracer (06-18-2022), zbomb (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:39 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

With limited knowledge of how the dme is programmed it would seem prudent to have the terminator control fans and fuel .I don't know what the dme will do once it has a run signal and no other sensors input .It could be a recipe to turn it into a random cel generator and limit functions .I don't know if a/c will work or not .Others have reported it will - I am skeptical - it would be good to find someone who has done it successfully .Bypassing the dme for a/c with a functioning climate control is not hard .
Old 06-18-2022, 06:22 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel;[url=tel:18203825
18203825[/url]]The blue wire needs to be connected to the alternator -if gm alternator would be the l terminal .( best to verify terminals by your specific model ) .This will make dash light function and also enable abs and climate control .
Pins 35 and 36at dme activate fans ye/gn wires .35 is low 36 is high .They ground the fan relays for activation .No need to bypass relays .The engine speed sensor is a white wire to pin 78 at dme .
Thank you so much for the pin outs! The blue wire had 12v already with ign on - seems like it wouldn’t be good to supply 12v from the alt post? My dash light isn’t on with vehicle running. I’ll attach pics of the dash and x51 plug with blue wire.

For fans, the Holley Terminator X send ground signal to activate fans also. Seems I could just tie those two signal wires (high and low) to pins 35 and 36 at the DME and control fan kick on temps via Holley software.

I’ll wire in the tach signal converter and send to pin 78. I’m feeling under the weather but will do this when I’m up to it. Thank you again!

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel;[url=tel:18204162
18204162[/url]]With limited knowledge of how the dme is programmed it would seem prudent to have the terminator control fans and fuel .I don't know what the dme will do once it has a run signal and no other sensors input .It could be a recipe to turn it into a random cel generator and limit functions .I don't know if a/c will work or not .Others have reported it will - I am skeptical - it would be good to find someone who has done it successfully .Bypassing the dme for a/c with a functioning climate control is not hard .
Yeah I agree, Term controls fuel now and I’d like it to control fans too. I’m working with another LS swapped 996 on the AC bits and will update this thread while we’re working it out.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:09 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer

You have a Tip?!
I guess I’d missed that.
I thought no one had LS swapped a Tiptronic before.
Maybe I’m thinking about the 944 LS swaps.
As far as I know there are no 944 automatic LS swaps.
I think I’d prefer a tip with a 996 LS swap.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:29 PM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel;[url=tel:18204673
18204673[/url]]You have a Tip?!
I guess I’d missed that.
I thought no one had LS swapped a Tiptronic before.
Maybe I’m thinking about the 944 LS swaps.
As far as I know there are no 944 automatic LS swaps.
I think I’d prefer a tip with a 996 LS swap.
Tip is looooong gone
Old 06-18-2022, 08:31 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

The alternator light does not appear to be working .Key on engine off light should be illuminated .With key on - the blue wire will have 12 volts and when connected to the proper alternator terminal will be grounded and turn the light on . .With engine running the alternator terminal will turn 12 volt positive and light will go out . That wire is also the engine run signal for abs operation and climate control .
The easy button for the fans is to just home the relay activation wires to the terminator .
The following users liked this post:
gtxracer (06-20-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 02:29 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Whew. I finally got around to wiring up the cooling fans to the Terminator X controls and the tach. This wasn’t all that bad, but I wanted to make it a clean install. I bought a metri pack 150 4 pin connector and used the power tap plug on the Terminator X harness for power and ground to the converter box since this plug is right next to where the tach converter box will live. The fan wiring was straightforward and easy. Should’ve done that long ago.

I tapped into the 78 pin on the DME but no tach movement on the gauge cluster. Weird. So I take the blue wire with white stripe and go directly to pin 78, bypassing the converter box. Nothing. I check power and ground, good to go. Still scratching my head on this one.

I’m waiting for Improved Racing to restock their oil coolers. I’ll be putting their largest cooler at the back of the car with a cutout for cooling. This, combined with an inline thermostat and ceramic coating on the exhaust, should lower temps while racing to normal levels.

I also ordered some small bullet mufflers to splice into the exhaust to take it down a few decibels. Although the existing mufflers are big, it’s a little too much for every day driving. I bought double wall stainless tips to give it a bit more flash and a refined look.

I’ll be measuring line lengths for the AC setup at the same time. I’m slow to get stuff done right now due to the move and work building up - but I’m gaining some momentum finally.

Last edited by gtxracer; 07-22-2022 at 01:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gtxracer:
Mike Murphy (07-22-2022), TheChunkNorris (07-22-2022), wdb (07-26-2022), zbomb (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 09:55 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Pin 80 (vi/gn ) is the tach signal to the instrument cluster and several other subsystems .I connected my tack converter to this and works fine .Don't know what you would need to do to use pin 78 -
The following users liked this post:
gtxracer (07-22-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 01:43 AM
gtxracer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel;[url=tel:18262125
18262125]Pin 80 (vi/gn ) is the tach signal to the instrument cluster and several other subsystems .I connected my tack converter to this and works fine .Don't know what you would need to do to use pin 78 -
Did this tonight, no tach! Very strange. I’m trying to debug and troubleshoot it. I’ll report back if I can find anything.

edit: I got it. Switch 7 on the converter box needs to be ON for anything under 14 volts. The supply is 12v from the Terminator X. Tach works and it is accurate! Woohoo! I’ll wrap this up and start the exhaust and AC work finally.

Last edited by gtxracer; 07-26-2022 at 01:52 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by gtxracer:
dcdrechsel (07-26-2022), dporto (07-26-2022), JohnCA58 (07-27-2022), wdb (07-26-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 05:55 PM
zbomb
Race Car

Received 4,287 Likes on 1,809 Posts

Any ideas 180 headers fit with the Dailey or Aviaid dry sump setups ? Whats the tubing diameter ?

Dailey

https://www.drysumpsolutions.com/pro...ge/ls-race-pan

Aviaid - specifically C mount with a 4 stage pump. I would prefer the Dailey for cost but it requires a line for each scavenge on the sump to the pump... Lot going on.

https://aviaid.com/shopsite_sc/store...e-systems.html

Quick Reply: Build Thread: '99 C2 996 LS1 Swap