996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I saw this thread resurrected (again!) and avoided reading it... eventually curiosity got the better of me wondering what could possibly have set it off again... amazing that this is still a topic on 996s, especially considering that the newest of them is pretty long in the tooth and not much to be bragging about anymore.

I've never cared what people think or say about me or my car. Irrelevant. People need to find better things to stress over.

Having said that I can't say I remember anyone saying or doing anything negative about my car. Mostly they think it's a pretty cool car.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:01 PM
R1_Pete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I saw this thread resurrected (again!) and avoided reading it... eventually curiosity got the better of me wondering what could possibly have set it off again... amazing that this is still a topic on 996s, especially considering that the newest of them is pretty long in the tooth and not much to be bragging about anymore.

I've never cared what people think or say about me or my car. Irrelevant. People need to find better things to stress over.

Having said that I can't say I remember anyone saying or doing anything negative about my car. Mostly they think it's a pretty cool car.
+1.. Awful thread.
The kind of thing that gets posted on non Porsche forums slagging P Car owners..

Who gives a flying (f) what anyone else thinks of your car or you for driving it.. I didnt buy it for anyone else or their opinion so its meaningless to me
Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 PM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I take a good bit of ribbing over the 996's. In some cases I think it is simply a matter of perception and perspective. Some people are truly down on their luck through no fault of their own, they perceive the cars as very expensive and excessive, from their perspective, perhaps long term unemployed or facing other financial or life struggles, I can understand it.

The ones that kill me are the people who are driving cars that cost 2x what I paid for either 996 - they have the perception that I am driving a brand new $100k plus car - and as one guy put it - "J.C. you have a pair of them? - I never understood why anyone would even want one."

Bottom line - I own them because I enjoy them - my first was a 1968 911 and no car before or after can compare to the enjoyment I get from driving a Porsche. It is truly a driver's car and for me it is true that "there is no substitute".

In any event - I am not so sure that it is simply "envy". Not everyone wants or even likes a Porsche. And in the end, who really cares - as the saying goes "to each their own".
Old 05-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Steve2112
Racer

^^^ Exactly - the 996 is an older car, but the "general" public doesn't know a 1999 from a 2009 model, so they think the wrong thing. Crap, a new Hybrid Electric car from GM costs what the used 996 cost me, and they get to be green and cool, and I get to be the hated player.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:34 PM
p-funk
7th Gear

I can't understand it, but yet I get it. People will envy anything you have that is hiddenly important to them personally; which they (for what ever reasons...) can't have. It's human nature, and there's nothing anyone could do about it. In the end, the question is will they be willing to go for it, when the time and place presents its self to righteously do what it takes to make themselves happy. If not, then that's tragic.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:43 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Living in BFE Maine, no one knows what P-cars are!
Old 05-27-2012, 02:46 PM
p-funk
7th Gear

I love my 996 because owning it, was my dream as a child, when many of my dreams during my childhood were unfulfilled. My P-FUNK (911) is a great balance for those thing, I didn't achieve. The bottom line is, if people want to judge you for the car you drive, and that car happens to be a solid car, with exceptional performance -- let them have at it.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As George Carlin would say: "don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff."
Old 05-27-2012, 06:15 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You do have to get used to everyone knowing what you drive, and occasionally commenting on it. Usually all positive.

I work at a large tech firm with a boomer/Gen X population. The lots are filled with minivans and beige CamCords, many of which cost more than the 996. Car enthusiasm is virtually non-existent. But in their minds a Porsche is an exotic thing, made out of rare materials and capable of unbelievable speeds. And I'm sure they wonder either how I afford it or why I would spend that much money for a car.

Now, my wife works as a high school dean and occasionally drives the Porsche to work. The kids, particularly the boys, think she is cool.

And my neighbors get a kick out of seeing someone wash a car so often.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:08 PM
rambo99
6th Gear

I'm in the market for a 996 and one of the reasons im hesitating is because of "porsche envy"

Its weird but i dont want people thinking that im trying to show off or anything. Like many have said before, a new civic costs just as much
Old 05-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The first time I met my buds with the new Pcar I pull up and they are like, "nice Boxster". Then they check it out and it turns to, "wow...a 911!". I always remember...its not about you, it's about the car.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:43 PM
silotwo
Banned

Wink

Originally Posted by rambo99
I'm in the market for a 996 and one of the reasons im hesitating is because of "porsche envy"

Its weird but i dont want people thinking that im trying to show off or anything. Like many have said before, a new civic costs just as much
Me thinks one worries too much about what others might think - I believe that is sometimes referred to as "other worth" - "self worth" allows us to be okay with what we think and believe and to accept that others have the right to think and believe as they do. Neither party truly has any bearing on the other.

Buy the 911 if that's what you want - and enjoy it.

And believe it or not - when I was driving a 1968 911 in the mid 70's some people said it was the ugliest car - looked like a pregnant roller skate.

And one day at work one of my Supervisor's told me that her and her husband were behind me on the way home and her husband told her to ask me why I would buy such an ugly car. So I told her the truth - I am in LOVE with it - probably the same reason she married her husband. Yes - I really told her that.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silotwo
Me thinks one worries too much about what others might think - I believe that is sometimes referred to as "other worth" - "self worth" allows us to be okay with what we think and believe and to accept that others have the right to think and believe as they do. Neither party truly has any bearing on the other.

Buy the 911 if that's what you want - and enjoy it.

And believe it or not - when I was driving a 1968 911 in the mid 70's some people said it was the ugliest car - looked like a pregnant roller skate.

And one day at work one of my Supervisor's told me that her and her husband were behind me on the way home and her husband told her to ask me why I would buy such an ugly car. So I told her the truth - I am in LOVE with it - probably the same reason she married her husband. Yes - I really told her that.
I agree...but I do get the hesitation.

Today, I walked by someone at a parade who commented to her boyfriend/husband that someone was "very pretty for a fat girl...". My first thought was, "and you're kind of ugly for a skinny girl..." but, of course, I didn't say anything. I have no idea who she was talking about or whether this person was, in fact, attractive but I don't understand why some people feel the need to make these kinds of comments.

Your supervisor's husband was probably jealous. Maybe he didn't like Porsches but he knew you had a car you wanted and he probably didn't...or couldn't for some reason. Much like you, I've always bought cars that I love. I had people call my Z3 a "clown shoe" and my TT an "Audi New Beetle". Most people are very positive (or just keep their thoughts to themselves) but my Sonett has certainly provoked some interesting questions. One was, "I get that you're into cars but why that?" and another was "are you weird?". My kids' doctor even asked me why I didn't just buy a 993 when he saw my name listed as a new PCA member in our local magazine (he owns a 993 C4S). A friend of mine once even said, "Dude, I can't believe you bought a Volvo..." about my S60R.

Every day I walk out to my cars they all make me smile. That's all I care about when choosing a car. Anything else I can get over.

-Eric
Old 05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
silotwo
Banned

Eric - you have me laughing. Going off P-Car topic for a moment. My wife tends to be one of those who observes everything and everyone and usually has a comment or two. The other day we were on the road - hot and humid day - and she sees a guy walking and he is wearing a sweater. So she points him out and says what the hell is that guy doing? I say - looks like he's walking - she says yeah but he's wearing a sweater - I say maybe he's cold - she says he can't be cold because it's so hot - I end it with my usual closing line "so tell me honey, how exactly does this affect your life". Tonight my son was telling me, in front of the wife, that she called him to tell him she just passed a Maple tree and it only had like 16 leaves on it and she thought the tree might be sick and she wanted to know what he thought. He said he couldn't know cause he didn't see the tree so she tried to describe what street it was on so he could check it out. We all laughed - we blame it on the side effects of the chemo.

What really had me laughing was the comments about the different cars. In 1990 my wife was driving an 86 Honda CRX and I had an 87 Mazda 626GT Turbo. But we had our first child in the fall of 89 so it was mini-van time. We ( I should say I ) picked the 1990 Oldsmobile Silouette - it was the first year for the van and it looked sort of like a space ship - it was definitely different from the other mini vans. Anyway - I was dropping off a kitchen cabinet on a job and when the carpenter came out to off load it he stopped dead in his tracks - hands on hips - staring at the van and he finally asks if I just bought it. I proudly say yep - picked her up last night. He's says geez, you really shouldn't go car shopping when you're mad. Straight face and all, he grabs the cabinet and walks away shaking his head.

Feels good to laugh for a change - Thanks for being here.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 AM
p-funk
7th Gear

Name:  caz.JPG
Views: 500
Size:  209.2 KB

Drive what you love, and love what you drive...

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?