Sponsored by:

"Porsche " envy ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 01:56 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Porsche " envy ?

Did any of you experience Porsche envy when you purchased your car ??
You know I mean, that uncomfortable vibe from friends, relatives, neighbors, or coworkers when they realized you owned a Porsche..... Maybe its just me but I could swear that people sometimes act (ed) different when they found that out.
Ever felt embarrassed or intentionally not told somebody you drove this car for fear of how they may view you?? Very weird......
Old 02-18-2004, 02:14 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Where I am from they call that "Player Hate'n".

I got mixed reviews from friends and family. Some said "its about time you have been dreaming of that damn thing long enough"

Some said "why did you sell your nice comfy BMW 530i it was so nice!"

All my car friends and family love it and are stoked for me!

Strangers, however are the most incredulous and negative "how the hell can YOU afford that?" or "what are you a pro basketball player?"

When i was at the dealer trading my bmw in for the pcar an older guy came up to me and said "if you work real hard you can one day stop dreaming about one of these and you too could buy one!" i was like "gee thanks mister!"....***!

Just tell your friends " Don't Hate the Player Hate the Game!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:22 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I have lots of ENVY when I see someone ordering a TT Cab X50 (whatever), or getting ready to order a 997 when I'm sitting with a NA 996 Cab! (not really)
Old 02-18-2004, 02:29 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

You are definitely not alone there. My close friends were really psyched for me, they new I wanted that car my whole life. My family on the other hand isn't as successful as I am and there was definitely envy - man I couldn't get over that.

People at work - absolutely. Story: I worked in a corporate compound as a consultant a couple of years back. The parking deck was outdoors, no assigned parking just park where you like. There were spots for about 200 cars. I used to come in at 7 and leave around 4 to beat the traffic, so for the longest time no one knew I owned the Porsche.

After about 8 months we had Christmas party and someone came up to me and said that my car was causing quite a stir in parking lot. Apparently there was a pool in the office, that I knew nothing about, over who owned the car. I couldn't believe people actually give a **** what kind of car you drive... it was a real eye opener for me.

I've learned to deal with owning a p-car for 3+ years now and I used to be sheepish about it. Now I could care less. I'm not a trust fund baby, I worked my *** off for my cars and if that bothers people in some way, well I guess that's life in the big city. First rule of success; be humble about it but never apologize for it.

Peace,
Rob
Old 02-18-2004, 02:30 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Oh yea. Playa hatin' for sure.
I can honestly say that my family and car friends are happy as well, its just that some can't fathom that anyone would buy this car for any other reason than to throw it in their face or make them feel inferior for driving a "sensible" American sedan.
I, like you ( and many of us, I'm sure), have dreamed about this car since I first saw one as a very young man ( and knew nothing about status or car ego). We all drive what we drive for different reasons. I drive this car for me and the way it makes me feel..... it is not and never was about them (although all those heads snapping around and finger pointing at the bus stop when I drive by is kinda neat !!!!)
Old 02-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:44 AM
redcab
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts

First rule of success; be humble about it but never apologize for it.

Here, in a town where you could open a used BMW / Lexus / MBZ dealer at any traffic light, my car fortunately gets little attention. Those who need to create a stir have to get a Lambo or Lotus. 911's pass by every 10 mins (3 mins if your counting boxsters). Yawn.

When friends or strangers give me the "it must be nice" concert, I usually give them a devilish twinkle and a "yeah, it is alot of fun". Heck, sometimes friends even get a test drive
Old 02-18-2004, 02:49 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

Ya -- I guess regionalty (??) does matter. Although I'm in Florida, you don't see too many of these cars around my town. In some places, driving a 911 is still special !!!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 AM
jbdmd
Pro

Originally posted by riad
First rule of success; be humble about it but never apologize for it.
well put and too true brother

I must say that having such a laudable rig kind of screws with my head sometime...it is tempting for me to take it anywhere there will be lots of people around.

I am getting less so that way but I didn't care who saw me when i was rockin my phat subaru outback a short 2 years ago!

I recently began to think about selling it and buying an older 911sc just for me, raw and unpretentious, few would look twice and I could just "keep it real!"

excuse my brain fart
Old 02-18-2004, 04:44 AM
jbdmd
Pro

yo' peeps prob-lee jus had too much hater-aid!

you can take the kid out of west philly....yadayadayada
Old 02-18-2004, 09:42 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Yeah, I rarely drive my turbo to work and always park in the back row. I am also vague as to how many cars I have. My issue is I don't want the partners to think they are paying us too much money. We are ICs and paid on a eat what you kill type of arrangement. They are always looking to reduce our percentage or keep numbers though.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Scott 996
Ya -- I guess regionalty (??) does matter. Although I'm in Florida, you don't see too many of these cars around my town. In some places, driving a 911 is still special !!!
I lived in one of the most exclusive areas in NY, Scarsdale in Westchester, and people still noticed it. Now I live in a more blue collar area and I stick out like a sore thumb... but yeah I would say if you're driving in South Beach with a Turbo Cab, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Scott 996
Intermediate

I know --- I am in sales try to keep the company in the dark about my car. You would think that they would approve and perceive my taste in vehicles as a great "motivator" to sell more stuff.
I think it would probably just justify their false assumption that they are already paying me too much dinero, and fing a way to cut my already dwindling commissions !! You gotta love Corporate America !!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:17 AM
ArthurK
Racer

When I got my first 911, a 993 C2 Cab, I had a smile from ear to ear. That smile was wiped off my face pretty quickly once I went to a client site. The first comment I received was "....we are paying you too much".

With this particular client we run their IT department so I am there quite regularly and know a lot of the 400 odd staff that work on site. Most would say "... great car!". But most of them put out a negative vibe.

This was meant to be the best time of my life. Buying my dream car before turning 30 and life looking good. It wasn't the case though, I felt so guilty and sick from the reaction that I was throwing up on site and eventually bought a $hit bomb Ford to drive around - (even the $hit bomb cost me US$15,000).

Unlike the US, a Porsche in Oz is even more exclusive unfortunately. The price of a C2 is about $160,000 US. It takes a while to save up that kind of money around here - especially with our tax rates. So when you see a kid from a blue collar working family driving a 911 there is a bit of "porsche envy"

It is now 5 years later and have come to believe I will never change their mind or opinion and dont worry about it any more. But it still sux.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:20 AM
BostonMarkC
Racer

After the company summer outing this year, I heard some people in the office talking about how this former employee of ours, now an attorney, showed up to the party with a red Porsche.

I was like..."um, I think you are talking about my car." I work in the city and walk to work, so co-workers never see it. The "car" folks think it's cool, but I feel that others expect me to justify having such a nice car at age 26. Same with some family members.

I say to heck with all of them My wife and I own a house and have multiple investments that generate income...why not drive what we want

Quick Reply: "Porsche " envy ?