Sponsored by:

Anyone here own/driven a GT350

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:43 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Anyone here own/driven a GT350

Just curious. Saw a vid on Youtube of a guy who sold his 911 C2S and for at GT350. Wouldn't have thought it'd be in the same league but after reading a bit more about them, they seem to get great reviews.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:35 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I've driven and instructed in them. They are great cars, and are much more capable than a 996. Steering feedback is not as finely detailed, but is quite precise. Car is heavier and it moves well but the feeling of mass comes along with it. Do you have a specific question? I also think they look (and sound) great.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Just curious as to how they drive Ahmet. I may rent one through Turo to scratch the itch. As great as it looks, is it a one trick pony? By that I mean a fast track car but not so good for day to day stuff.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:14 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I think they are great. I prefer smaller and lighter cars for running about the city every day though. The GT350 feels analog, planted and old school with tons of mechanical grip and a fair bit of torque. Oddly enough, as much as I like a high horsepower motor, the lack of torque on an early GT3 really bothered me coming out of corners, but it doesn't bother me on a Carrera. All that to say, it's going to be a personal call. I would be interested in your opinion, go rent one and report back!
Old 12-11-2018, 12:13 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No gt350 but instructed in gt's. The new mustangs are pretty damn good track cars (or cars period). I considered buying one because the bang for buck is so good. I recently had 16 year old street survival student in a 2017 GT. We had a blast in that thing. Extremely capable vehicle....and student....he raced go carts.

That being said.....maybe I'm just getting nostalgic but all the nannies on the cars take some of the adrenaline out of it for me. New mustangs, corvettes or 911's for that matter will run circles around me, But I'd rather be slower in my 996, 944T or honda s2000 with no nannies and me doing all the work. Also for the snob factor which I find quite humorous........you can have a gt350 and someone can say "oh my secretary has a mustang too".....you can have a 996 and get put up front in valet parking next to a lambo.

Absolutely not disrespecting Mustang, Camaro, or Corevette, these cars have come a long way and in some ways better value than german counterparts......it truly is personal preference at this point. Hell I'm even eyeballing a hyundia velostor N.....now roast me.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:32 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Just curious as to how they drive Ahmet. I may rent one through Turo to scratch the itch. As great as it looks, is it a one trick pony? By that I mean a fast track car but not so good for day to day stuff.
You should scratch that itch. My buddy did exactly that (via Turo). Beware: the sound is intoxicating. The only thing he couldn’t get over was the build quality of the interior. He ended up buying an M2, but he nearly pulled the trigger on the GT350.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:35 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
Hell I'm even eyeballing a hyundia velostor N.....now roast me.
You are permitted to eyeball that car.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:07 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Just curious. Saw a vid on Youtube of a guy who sold his 911 C2S and for at GT350.
EatSleepDrive?

If so, I don't think it's a statement about the 911 as much as him being the kind of guy that just doesn't keep a car very long. I saw the video where he sold it and he seemed genuinely upset to see it go.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a friend that bought one as well - his track car is a track-prepped 996 GT3. He said it was fun - the power was awesome - but it was heavy, sluggish around corners and the traction control lights were always on. Not sure that it's a fair comparison though - track prepped GT3 to a 4K pound car.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 AM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

As daily driver I have a 2017 Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost, with Performance Package (upgraded wheels, suspension, brakes, coolant system, differential, etc) and also with the Ford Performance Power Package installed (CAI, engine and transmision reprograming, bringing it up to 340hp)

Is not a GT350 of course... but I am quite happy with it and it is quite fun.

I have thought about it several times. Both cars were born on 1963 and they are two of the most iconic sport cars in the world. However, they were very different on the beginning and they have had also very different evolution during years.
In my exaples cases even they have around the same power... but they cant be more different:

RWD vs AWD
Auto vs Manual
Front Engine vs RearEngine
Turbo vs Atmospheric
4 Cyl in line vs 6 Cyl Boxer

Last edited by parris; 12-11-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

I want a GT350 soo bad ....

Great looking cars and sound amazing!
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bpoteat
EatSleepDrive?

If so, I don't think it's a statement about the 911 as much as him being the kind of guy that just doesn't keep a car very long. I saw the video where he sold it and he seemed genuinely upset to see it go.
Yep, that’s the one.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My friend Mike has a GT350.

He sometimes comes to track days and does about one autocross a year.

He posts pictures of it on Instagram about 8 times a day. Shooting it with the foam cannon, pictures of his watch on the steering wheel, selfies from the driver seat. You know, the real unbearable kind.

He has never driven anything with the traction control off. When he goes to track days he is that "I drive flat out" guy; he bombs into all the corners full-tilt and has no idea that the traction control is saving his life on each and every one, he spends tons of money and time on driver nanny widgets like DSC sport tuning, and he rubs it in your face when you are mature enough to ignore the red mist and just point him by (in your 20 year old BMW sedan).

So, value aside, the GT350 to me is not cut from the same cloth as say a 911 GT3. The 911 GT3 (the 996 and 997 especially) was engineered specifically for diehard track guys to get their analog adrenaline fix and allow them to learn how to be the fastest guy on track. By a twist of fate, a lot of them were sadly bought by Cars and Coffee douchenozzles who just wax them and park them.

The GT350, on the other hand, was engineered specifically for those waxer douchenozzles, designed to keep them safe on track when they couldn't check their egos, and designed to make them feel like hero drivers who "won" their HPDEs. Because of this they happen to be quite good in the hands of a good driver who doesn't need all the nannies.

The GT350 is a sweet car (that whole shaking the oil filter loose and bursting into flames on track is a real problem though, by the way) but it can't escape the reputation of its clientele.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

So you’re saying I’d be a douche if I owned one? I had a GT 20 years ago that I supercharged along with some other mods Scary fast but awful chassis.

I love the balance of the 996 chassis and the rev for days engine. Just curious if I’d get close with the Shelby. A lot has changed in 20 years.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 AM
rechtien
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

We have a 13 gt500 and a 996 4s. Two completely different cars. Hard to compare. After driving the 4S for a few days the gt500 feels like a full size car. Brutal, raw power, feels heavy in turns compared to the 4s but much faster.

We also own a 16 cts-v. Another totally different car. Smoother. Doesn't feel as raw despite being similar power to the gt500. Again, feels like a much bigger car.

I know neither are a gt350 but the above is only to say the cars are different. Even owning them I think it is hard to compare.

Quick Reply: Anyone here own/driven a GT350