Sponsored by:

Anyone here own/driven a GT350

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 09:56 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
So you’re saying I’d be a douche if I owned one? I had a GT 20 years ago that I supercharged along with some other mods Scary fast but awful chassis.

I love the balance of the 996 chassis and the rev for days engine. Just curious if I’d get close with the Shelby. A lot has changed in 20 years.
now now, any car from 20 years ago is a different matter than the modern version. My whole point was the electronics on the new one save douches trying to be heroes. You drove one twenty years ago with way more power than it should sanely have, and lived to tell about it, so clearly you aren't a douche, but instead know how to handle a car.

My point wasn't that owning a modern GT350 makes you a douche (it's not causation), just that being a douche and owning a gt350 are correlated. And that it's unfortunate that you won't be able to own one, and drive it smartly, and not be associated with the rest of the owners.

The new Mustang GTs and the GT350 especially are cars I really want to like, but can't, because I can't stand the people who own them. The Chevy SS is the same way. It's like a modern version of the E39 M5 that I can get without a sunroof and for low miles and the potential for tons of easy hp mods. But the E39 M5 crowd is all engineers and smart folks who do HPDE and trips to the 'Ring. The Chevy SS crowd is, unfortunately, full of total morons who just love street racing and drag racing and put multicolor LEDs everywhere and ****ty hood vents.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:01 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

"The new Mustang GTs and the GT350 especially are cars I really want to like, but can't, because I can't stand the people who own them. The Chevy SS is the same way. It's like a modern version of the E39 M5 that I can get without a sunroof and for low miles and the potential for tons of easy hp mods. But the E39 M5 crowd is all engineers and smart folks who do HPDE and trips to the 'Ring. The Chevy SS crowd is, unfortunately, full of total morons who just love street racing and drag racing and put multicolor LEDs everywhere and ****ty hood vents."

Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Coincidentally, there are some reports of GT350 engines (voodoo engines) consuming a lot of oil, to the point where Ford has replaced some engines. It may be overblown, but car things on the internet always are.

https://www.gt350.org/forum/40-musta...nsumption.html
Old 12-12-2018, 11:47 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
now now, any car from 20 years ago is a different matter than the modern version. My whole point was the electronics on the new one save douches trying to be heroes. You drove one twenty years ago with way more power than it should sanely have, and lived to tell about it, so clearly you aren't a douche, but instead know how to handle a car.

My point wasn't that owning a modern GT350 makes you a douche (it's not causation), just that being a douche and owning a gt350 are correlated. And that it's unfortunate that you won't be able to own one, and drive it smartly, and not be associated with the rest of the owners.

The new Mustang GTs and the GT350 especially are cars I really want to like, but can't, because I can't stand the people who own them. The Chevy SS is the same way. It's like a modern version of the E39 M5 that I can get without a sunroof and for low miles and the potential for tons of easy hp mods. But the E39 M5 crowd is all engineers and smart folks who do HPDE and trips to the 'Ring. The Chevy SS crowd is, unfortunately, full of total morons who just love street racing and drag racing and put multicolor LEDs everywhere and ****ty hood vents.
Haha. Too funny. And probably true...
Old 12-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Coincidentally, there are some reports of GT350 engines (voodoo engines) consuming a lot of oil, to the point where Ford has replaced some engines. It may be overblown, but car things on the internet always are.

https://www.gt350.org/forum/40-musta...nsumption.html
I did read it has one of the worst NVH issues out there and there was a report of it being so bad one owner had his oil filter shake loose and dump oil all over the road. At least it doesn’t have an IMSB....
Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

The GT350 engine shaking is absolutely true. One of the first incidents was my friend, who shall rename nameless, having his oil filter shake loose at Roebling Road and the whole car burn up. I believe Ford bought that car back, and then released some sort of updated filter or filter housing that could withstand more torque.

Then, at road atlanta, another friend of mine had his oil filter shake loose on track. I'm not sure if he had installed the update yet at the time. On a later session, when I'm sure he had installed the update, some other sort of oil system part, I believe it was a pressure or temperature sender, shook loose and coated his car in oil as well.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:26 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Here's one for sale for very cheap!...

Old 12-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

I have one reserved on Turo for next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Here's one for sale for very cheap!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KozK8Vc7Y7k
Car just needs a little bit of bodywork.
Clean Carfax!
Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

That’ll buff out!
Old 12-12-2018, 07:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
"The new Mustang GTs and the GT350 especially are cars I really want to like, but can't, because I can't stand the people who own them. The Chevy SS is the same way. It's like a modern version of the E39 M5 that I can get without a sunroof and for low miles and the potential for tons of easy hp mods. But the E39 M5 crowd is all engineers and smart folks who do HPDE and trips to the 'Ring. The Chevy SS crowd is, unfortunately, full of total morons who just love street racing and drag racing and put multicolor LEDs everywhere and ****ty hood vents."

It ain’t stereotyping if it’s true, lol!

Kidding aside, there are some negative stereotypes for Porsche owners, believe me. I say, ‘who cares,’ and just suffer through items that I’d change if I could (996 headlights, Porsche owners are rich, pretentious, a- Whole Foods, etc). Not a lot of folks are going to think super highly of me driving my Porsche. One guy said that the 911 was the ugliest car he’d ever seen. His favorite was the C6 Vette. I say, “beauty is skin deep” and look beyond aesthetics.

If one likes the Ford GT350 experience and can swing a little more dough for better quality, the Mercedes GT AMG feels great. It has a long muscle-car hood, powerful engine, and has an aggressive attitude on the track. It’s $100k and only a 2-seater though. But beautiful inside and out and thinks it’s an angry muscle car.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 AM
JWB7405
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought a GT350R in August (Its A Great Car)

I rented a GT Mustang this summer, and got interested in them. I later purchased a 2018 GT350R in August for $74,000. It’s a great car, I had a 2012 911 Turbo previously (sold back to dealer after 6 years) and I can’t say enough good things about the GT350R. Only a few hundred are made each year and I get a lot more comments on it than I ever did on my Porsche Turbo. Anyway, put aside any preconceptions you might have. It’s a tremendously fun vehicle, and that Voodoo engine sounds so much better than any soundtrack I might otherwise want to hear. It’s definitely not a Porsche, but it’s still a wonderful car.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Beautiful!
Old 12-17-2018, 02:52 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have any experience in the GT350, but the new Mustang chassis is, far and away, easily the absolute best Mustang chassis ever. I grew up loving Mustangs. I owned one several years ago and I wasn’t a big fan of the Mustang after that...until the new one came out and I drove it. I include “and I drove it” because I was underwhelmed with its aesthetics when first released. However, this does not apply to the Shelby variant because, in my opinion, it’s gorgeous.

But the interior, in the GT variants with which I have any experience, is still not very good in regards to build quality, as others have mentioned. Maybe the VooDoo engine character makes up for that; the S65B40 made up for the shortcomings in my M3, for example. Speaking of which, I still prefer the E92 in general to the new Mustang (equivalent variant of one vs. the other) if that says anything. I suppose you’ll find out how it compares for you when you rent it, so I’m looking forward to reading about your experience.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:28 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Yeah I’m looking forward to this weekend. I’ll post up a review once I’ve had some seat time.

Quick Reply: Anyone here own/driven a GT350