Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default What?! Current Record Holder?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...11-carrera-39/
Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Was watching that auction as well and can only speculate that the purchaser either HAD to have THAT car or it’s an investment purchase - the latter of which is not wise imo. While I think the 996 is hands down the best value on a pcar it’s bot gonna be a collectible... ever. Not even an early model in white. Kudos to the seller whio happens to be in my back yard.

Last edited by jllphan; 08-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
Was watching that auction as well and can only speculate that the purchaser either HAD to have THAT car or it’s an purchase - the latter of which is not wise imo. While I think the 996 is hands down the best value on a pcar it’s bot gonna be a collectible... ever. Not even an early model in white. Kudos to the seller whio happens to be in my back yard.
I don't think it will be collectible but its hard to say if the value of 996's will creep up; considering how terrible/fugly modern car designs are these days.... I saw my first BMW X2 (from behind) this morning and thought it was an ugly new Hyundai at first.... couldn't believe it was a BMW
Old 08-13-2018, 08:23 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Someone got a low mileage white six speed coupe that's mostly original with a clean Carfax for the price of a loaded Camry. They had probably been looking for a while and didn't care if they paid "over market".
Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

This a perfect example of an auction. You just never know where it will go.
I would never expect to get this $$ amount for my early 996. It has 80k miles on the chassis, and about 6500 miles on an FSI 3.6 rebuild, IMS Solution, Nickies, etc....
Old 08-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I think its different when buying cars like these. These cars cant be compared to buying a "normal" car. Some people look at value when it comes to resale. Some people (like myself) look at what its worth to them. I would have no issue in the world paying over market for a 911 thats extremely clean and low mileage. I just purchased a 04 C4S for 28k with 62,000 miles. Some would say i overpaid. But i wanted a clean car with decent mileage and records. I have no intentions on ever reselling, unless hell freezes over and 996 values skyrocket. I plan on keeping this car for a long damn time and enjoying the hell out of it. I may not be rich, but its my dream car that i could finally afford to blow 30k on. But its mine and thats what mattered to me.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:03 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I think its different when buying cars like these. These cars cant be compared to buying a "normal" car. Some people look at value when it comes to resale. Some people (like myself) look at what its worth to them. I would have no issue in the world paying over market for a 911 thats extremely clean and low mileage. I just purchased a 04 C4S for 28k with 62,000 miles. Some would say i overpaid. But i wanted a clean car with decent mileage and records. I have no intentions on ever reselling, unless hell freezes over and 996 values skyrocket. I plan on keeping this car for a long damn time and enjoying the hell out of it. I may not be rich, but its my dream car that i could finally afford to blow 30k on. But its mine and thats what mattered to me.
I agree 100%
Old 08-14-2018, 01:15 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,081 Posts

If you look at the market, the cars that have lower mileage between 10-15k miles are listed in the 30k to 40k range, so this rare white one probably hit appropriate value.

Hard to believe there are still cars out there with 10-15k miles, plenty in the high teens and low twenties. And the lower the mileage, the higher the price. And there are still some deals where cars are listed in the 20k mike range in the $20k range. Amazing when you consider just how new a 20k mike car actually feels.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 AM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
If you look at the market, the cars that have lower mileage between 10-15k miles are listed in the 30k to 40k range, so this rare white one probably hit appropriate value.

Hard to believe there are still cars out there with 10-15k miles, plenty in the high teens and low twenties. And the lower the mileage, the higher the price. And there are still some deals where cars are listed in the 20k mike range in the $20k range. Amazing when you consider just how new a 20k mike car actually feels.
Some good values to find but at times too-long is too long.. I shudder to hear the lifter tick after it sitting for so long

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
+++1
You'd be way better off making payments on a 996 turbo. 28k for 62k miles is not a bad deal.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:58 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

the sad thing is, a super low mileage 996 is a scary proposition if the buyer wants to jump right in and drive it a lot. 20 yr old garage queens are notoriously less reliable than well driven examples.. its a catch 22.

loving my 179k mile 99 C2.. daily driven and on the original engine, that I bought for over $20k LESS than this creampuff went for on BAT. I'm no dreamer, but I am actively planning a refresh/rebuild at 200k to keep her going.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vipertag313
Some good values to find but at times too-long is too long.. I shudder to hear the lifter tick after it sitting for so long

+++1
You'd be way better off making payments on a 996 turbo. 28k for 62k miles is not a bad deal.
I have a 2000 with 22,350 miles. It’s never “sat” for long periods of time. I and the previous owner (who owned it since 2002) have always driven it at least every few weeks at a minimum. Personally, I drive it every chance I get, and when I do, it is fully warmed up and typically at least 20 miles per drive, usually more. It’s surprising how few miles you actually will put on a car if you only drive it for pleasure.

This year I’ve done an autocross event and last weekend I went to a PCA concours that was a 110 mile round trip. Every so, looking back so far I’ve only done 600 miles this year.

While I agree that lots of the low mile cars HAVE sat for extended periods of time, not all of them have.

Lastly, if you look at the arguments for say IMS failure, cars sitting for a long time with the bearing bathed in contaminated oil..my oil gets changed every 1000 miles at most and it doesn’t sit in the car because it gets changed at the end of the season.

Oh, and I said this would happen with prices. If you look back far enough on BAT, you’ll find another low mile C2, 1999 I think, that went for over $30k. Looking at the pictures, my car is also in MUCH better shape than the one that just sold.

Last edited by Always wanted 1; 08-14-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

The low mile C2 I mentioned in my previous comment is actually in the comments at BAT. It was a silver 99 with 22k and sold for $35,996.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:11 AM
Gary Segler
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

I have a 2000 with 22,350 miles. It’s never “sat” for long periods of time. I and the previous owner (who owned it since 2002) have always driven it at least every few weeks at a minimum. Personally, I drive it every chance I get, and when I do, it is fully warmed up and typically at least 20 miles per drive, usually more. It’s surprising how few miles you actually will put on a car if you only drive it for pleasure.

This year I’ve done an autocross event and last weekend I went to a PCA concours that was a 110 mile round trip. Every so, looking back so far I’ve only done 600 miles this year.

While I agree that lots of the low mile cars HAVE sat for extended periods of time, not all of them have.

Lastly, if you look at the arguments for say IMS failure, cars sitting for a long time with the bearing bathed in contaminated oil..my oil gets changed every 1000 miles at most and it doesn’t sit in the car because it gets changed at the end of the season.

Oh, and I said this would happen with prices. If you look back far enough on BAT, you’ll find another low mile C2, 1999 I think, that went for over $30k. Looking at the pictures, my car is also in MUCH better shape than the one that just sold.
Change oil every 1K miles? Seems a bit wasteful to me. Is that normal for these cars? I was just planning on changing my DD every 5000 miles.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:18 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

It's just stupid to pay that much for that car. And god forbid that you ever say anything bad on BAT. It's for ******* if you ask me.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:26 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary Segler
Change oil every 1K miles? Seems a bit wasteful to me. Is that normal for these cars? I was just planning on changing my DD every 5000 miles.
it’s not the miles but the time. The argument goes that even though the oil has very few miles on it, the contaminants in used oil will eat away at certain parts of the engine, i.e. gaskets, seals, and most importantly the IMS. So if I’m only driving 1,000 miles per year that means I’m changing the oil just once per year. I live in an area where we have such a thing as winter. I change the oil at least at the end of the fall. During the winter I have to wait for warmer days where there is no salt on the road to drive it, so it gets driven far fewer miles during the winter (but it still gets driven). Even though the oil “sits” more in the winter it’s fresher because I changed it in the fall.

Quick Reply: What?! Current Record Holder?