Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by MattBurns
Steam cleaned the wheels while they were off and got the brake dust off inside and out.
Does steam work well for caked on brake dust? I love steam, but have never tried it on wheels. Nice work on the calipers!
Old 05-02-2019, 01:21 PM
ThatSalesGuy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill

10 hours it took me to get to this...
Did you end up dropping the motor at all?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

10 hours! I get why you're giving it the finger!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:43 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSalesGuy
Did you end up dropping the motor at all?
Yes, I should have just done that first but I was stubborn and based on the Pelican Tech article thought I could get away without (big mistake) but sure made it difficult to get under the car to work from the bottom. I had to be a Houdini contortionist at times.
I am feeling it today as my body hurts in place's I haven't felt in awhile.

Also, I have a trigger finger (middle) that locks up if I grip to tight. Then I have to stop and use my other hand to open my finger again...This really slows me down.
The last manifold bolt sits under part of the AOS so a socket won't fit. Then there's the wire harness coolant lines tucked up tight with very little room between the engine and fender wall.
A short box wrench was my only option and I could only turn it 1/16" at a time lift and reposition with the wrench held with my middle finger and thumb and having a coolant line between my palm and wrench with no site line to see what I was doing, working with my left hand dropping the wrench multiple times and having to stop and crawl under the car to get it. Really takes a lot of coordination with the hands/fingers.

A lift would help save so much time too!

I think I could do it all in five now.

Last edited by 808Bill; 05-02-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:51 PM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peterp
Does steam work well for caked on brake dust? I love steam, but have never tried it on wheels. Nice work on the calipers!
I hit them with purple power, then used a nylon brush on a drill to agitate it all, then hit them with the steam cleaner. It washed it all right off.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:13 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Picked up my car from Classic 9 Interiors. Very happy with the leather/alcantara materials they recommended. They recovered the seats, replaced some foam and cleaned the seat tracks. I also got a tour of both shops (seats, interior and IP). They are not new to RL, just so great to work with a local company that knows how to treat P cars.

PO used some type of improper cleaner and ruined the leather.

Old leather was hard and cracked.

New seat covering

Details

Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Maintenance continues!!

Old 05-03-2019, 01:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Ratchet1025;15814945]Picked up my car from Classic 9 Interiors. Very happy with the leather/alcantara materials they recommended. They recovered the seats, replaced some foam and cleaned the seat tracks. I also got a tour of both shops (seats, interior and IP). They are not new to RL, just so great to work with a local company that knows how to treat P cars.

PO used some type of improper cleaner and ruined the leather.

Old leather was hard and cracked.

New seat covering

Details

[
/QUOTE]
Seat came out nice!
I need to do mine, may I ask how much it all cost?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I think I could do it all in five now.
That pretty much cinches it, I think I'll pay someone to replace my AOS.
I've been covered up with work lately working late hours and going in on my days off.
I have a workbench filled with boxes of parts I want to install and she mentioned them the other day.
I mentioned the AOS install would take the longest time(I estimated 5-6 hours) and she said, "pay someone else please and spend time with me and the kids."
So I'll do the Fabspeed X-pipe and headers, and O2 sensors, and oil change, and Function First transmission mount inserts, and RSS underdrive pulley, and visor mirror repair, and Momo Steering wheel...and leave the AOS to someone else.
Luckily I haven't purchased an AOS yet, so I won't be tempted!
Old 05-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=808Bill;15816170]
Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Picked up my car from Classic 9 Interiors. Very happy with the leather/alcantara materials they recommended. They recovered the seats, replaced some foam and cleaned the seat tracks. I also got a tour of both shops (seats, interior and IP). They are not new to RL, just so great to work with a local company that knows how to treat P cars.[
/QUOTE]
Seat came out nice!
I need to do mine, may I ask how much it all cost?
Howdy, it was 2800 total. I think it was 2400 if you just want them to ship you the covers. You can pick any mix of colors, and materials. I wanted something cooler than black leather, they suggested Alcantara. I expect these to hold up for another 15+ years.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 AM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Cloth (Alcantra) is the way to go, especially anywhere in the HOT climate...South FL, CA...etc...Leather is very nice BUT sweating of your back on leather is not great.....and, the cloth seats will hold you in place much better......
Old 05-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Well was driving the Porsche to find a spline lug nut socket for my Chevy SS because the guy who repaired 2 bent wheels (nice guy who did a great job) forgot to put mine back in the car and I was replacing the brakes and that shop couldn’t get the wheels off. So I was going to Advance Auto near me when this happened. The guy who did it was a straight guy p guy. Admitted fault and his insurance company is going to pay for the repair. I have an awesome shop who will do the work. But what a pain in the Life happens and that’s my thinking. No one hurt and we’ll fix the car.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:36 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
That pretty much cinches it, I think I'll pay someone to replace my AOS.
I've been covered up with work lately working late hours and going in on my days off.
I have a workbench filled with boxes of parts I want to install and she mentioned them the other day.
I mentioned the AOS install would take the longest time(I estimated 5-6 hours) and she said, "pay someone else please and spend time with me and the kids."
So I'll do the Fabspeed X-pipe and headers, and O2 sensors, and oil change, and Function First transmission mount inserts, and RSS underdrive pulley, and visor mirror repair, and Momo Steering wheel...and leave the AOS to someone else.
Luckily I haven't purchased an AOS yet, so I won't be tempted!
you have a lift?
Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Esfoad
Well was driving the Porsche to find a spline lug nut socket for my Chevy SS because the guy who repaired 2 bent wheels (nice guy who did a great job) forgot to put mine back in the car and I was replacing the brakes and that shop couldn’t get the wheels off. So I was going to Advance Auto near me when this happened. The guy who did it was a straight guy p guy. Admitted fault and his insurance company is going to pay for the repair. I have an awesome shop who will do the work. But what a pain in the Life happens and that’s my thinking. No one hurt and we’ll fix the car.
That is a bummer, glad you are ok. On a somewhat related side note, VERY nice wheel choice. Can I bother your for the type, size and offset?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
That is a bummer, glad you are ok. On a somewhat related side note, VERY nice wheel choice. Can I bother your for the type, size and offset?
Thanks. They are Victor Equipment Innsbruck wheels. They are Size: 19 X 8.5" front & 19 X 11" rear. Finish: Black Matte. The offsets are really for the 996 Turbo but they look great on the narrow body and don’t rub.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?