Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996 today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:06 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
I would have uber or shuttled. The salt is so thick here u can taste it in the air.
Yes, if my car had been clean I would have used Uber for sure. But my car is already a mess from my drive last week from Chicago to Columbus, so not much to lose. Either way it needs cleaned up soon. The garage roof was an unexpected surprise (not in a good way) though...
Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 08:24 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
Due to a long story that involves my daughter having my wife's GTI away at school this month, I had to take the 996 to the airport today. Dodged large chunks of winter muck and mess and made it here relatively un-salted, just to discover that the garage was almost full and I would get to park on the roof. Now I guess that I get to test the battery Saturday as it is supposed to be a high in the teens. Not exactly what I'm looking forward to upon arrival. Hoping that Sunday is at least warm enough / clear enough to get to my local car wash with underbody spray and get the salt off of it. Guess that is what we get this time of year in the tropical paradise otherwise known as central Ohio...
Daryll
Does your 996 go through an automatic car wash? I went to two automatic washes that I've used for years with other cars. They both said no way, the 996 is too low.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by montauk
Does your 996 go through an automatic car wash? I went to two automatic washes that I've used for years with other cars. They both said no way, the 996 is too low.
That is a great question. Will have to find out. I'm not a fan of car washes. but in the winter the one by our house has the under body spray that has kept our regular cars more or less rust free for a while. It is cloth, but still end up having to wax out some swirl marks. Still, would rather do that than have a rusty car...
Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 08:50 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

In my area, they throw this much salt down even BEFORE anything starts. Then they keep applying it whenever it rains, snows, or freezes. The whole area is steeped in brine until the spring rains. So today, I checked the battery manager and upgraded the rodent control sonic devices in the garage.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Einsteiger
In my area, they throw this much salt down even BEFORE anything starts. Then they keep applying it whenever it rains, snows, or freezes. The whole area is steeped in brine until the spring rains. So today, I checked the battery manager and upgraded the rodent control sonic devices in the garage.

Yep. Looks familiar. I'm in the land of salt too. Normally I would not ever have my car out in this weather, but this was an odd week.
Daryll
Old 01-22-2019, 09:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Hand washed it today, it's gorgeous out!
Old 01-22-2019, 09:11 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

When I woke today it was -8F and two feet of snow. Gorgeous! Lol
Old 01-23-2019, 06:47 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
When I woke today it was -8F and two feet of snow. Gorgeous! Lol
It was the same in Montpelier! I can only dream of spring while watching my pretty car on its battery tender in my basement while I get to some winter projects. At this rate, it will be mid April before I can get the car out!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
That is a great question. Will have to find out. I'm not a fan of car washes. but in the winter the one by our house has the under body spray that has kept our regular cars more or less rust free for a while. It is cloth, but still end up having to wax out some swirl marks. Still, would rather do that than have a rusty car...
Daryll
I use the touchless car wash. The car just sits there and the robot arms go around it . Also has an undercar wash. I probably would not drive my car in the salt if not for this! Nevertheles 18 inches of snow! I took her out and let her dance in the winter wonderland!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:04 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 143 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Hand washed it today, it's gorgeous out!
Sure sure rub it in!!! Or rub it out whatever it is you do with the swirls!
Old 01-23-2019, 10:29 AM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dranon
I use the touchless car wash. The car just sits there and the robot arms go around it . Also has an undercar wash. I probably would not drive my car in the salt if not for this! Nevertheles 18 inches of snow! I took her out and let her dance in the winter wonderland!
I need to find one of those touchless car washes near me. The only one that I knew about closed years ago, but I think there may be one at a filling station. That will work for what I want - I can finish cleaning it up in the garage as long as it is not stupid cold. Unfortunately this weekend is supposed to be 15 degrees or so... Not helpful, but to be expected in January.

Hope you had fun in the snow! Years ago I remember lots of people driving 911's around here all winter - they are pretty good snow cars. Now you never see one (except mine yesterday). At least on the airport roof there was a brand new Panamera so I'm not the only one getting P-cars dirty this week.
Daryll
Old 01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Last weekend I removed the bumper and cleaned out the radiators. Wow, lots of junk in there.

This past weekend I fixed the "no heat" issue caused by the lack of foam on the doors in the heating/cooling system. I used the "shortcut" method where you remove the radio and climate control panel and then cut into the system. Perhaps not the "right" method, but much simpler than removing the entire dashboard! I now have heat!

Now to figure out why my windows aren't working...
Old 01-23-2019, 02:23 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by details
This past weekend I fixed the "no heat" issue caused by the lack of foam on the doors in the heating/cooling system. I used the "shortcut" method where you remove the radio and climate control panel and then cut into the system. Perhaps not the "right" method, but much simpler than removing the entire dashboard! I now have heat!
I need to do this too.
How long did it take you?
Old 01-23-2019, 07:45 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I need to do this too.
How long did it take you?
Four or five hours maybe. Tough to say since I spread it out over the three-day weekend. It's been unusually COLD here, single digits over the weekend, and while I have a garage, it's still probably in the upper thirties to low forties in there. Plus I'm a little slower than the average DIYer.

I will say that there are more holes to cover with tape than I'd seen in any pictures. 21 total. I used metallic duct tape to cover the holes and to re-seal the cabinet. Definitely worth the hassle.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

This is why I moved from Lyon to Los Angeles many years ago. also no one here will cut the soft top with a knife or key the car

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996 today?