996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

don't hate me but ... I'm just not a fan of his. not trying to be a hater but I feel like he just jumped in on a wave and is some how thought of us an artist now. his seems are visible, he screws into the body all over and then he sits back and smokes a cig looking at the car that he just installed parts on like its some incredibly complicated thing that he just did lol I'm not ripping on the guy its just every time I watch his vids on youtube... that's how I'm left feeling. just seems like a quick gimmick.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:25 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
don't hate me but ... I'm just not a fan of his. not trying to be a hater but I feel like he just jumped in on a wave and is some how thought of us an artist now. his seems are visible, he screws into the body all over and then he sits back and smokes a cig looking at the car that he just installed parts on like its some incredibly complicated thing that he just did lol I'm not ripping on the guy its just every time I watch his vids on youtube... that's how I'm left feeling. just seems like a quick gimmick.
Don't worry, none of us puts much stock into what you think anyways.

I always look at the RWB builds as what a 911 would have looked like if it was made by a Japanese cartoon artist. I am impressed with his skill with air tools, and how he seems to to the alignment and suspension set up by sight. I don't know that I would allow him to spray paint my tires though.

When I get the skirts and lip on my C4S painted, I am going to seal the seams RWB style with black silicone. I think it looks the business.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Don't worry, none of us puts much stock into what you think anyways.

I always look at the RWB builds as what a 911 would have looked like if it was made by a Japanese cartoon artist. I am impressed with his skill with air tools, and how he seems to to the alignment and suspension set up by sight. I don't know that I would allow him to spray paint my tires though.

When I get the skirts and lip on my C4S painted, I am going to seal the seams RWB style with black silicone. I think it looks the business.
luckily I don't think much
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

ok so sunroof pics. I ruined my headliner getting this out couldn't find any tutorials on getting it out so I just winged it... broke a wing in the process lol anyway the track I pretty much destroyed pulling it apart after I had it all out of the car but it didn't work so well to begin with so no tears shed for me. the cover(part I'm going to weld back in) looks like its two layers of stamped steel glued or spot welded together. I have looked to closely yet but I might try to separate them as that cover is heavier than you might think. holding it up in the car with magnets so I can see how wide the fill piece is going to need to be looks to be about .200 gonna head to local store tonight and see what I can find.
I'm not sure what you need, but I did replace my headliner with a factory Alcantara one after I bought my car....so I have the old panel and headliner, I think it has the wings in it....if so, I could basically give it to you for shipping. It's a grey vinyl one.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I'm not sure what you need, but I did replace my headliner with a factory Alcantara one after I bought my car....so I have the old panel and headliner, I think it has the wings in it....if so, I could basically give it to you for shipping. It's a grey vinyl one.
super huge thanks to paul. it came yesterday, thank you!!!!!

so I had my paint mixed up last night. its a cross between "antifreeze green" and "envy green" I like it and super excited to see how it looks on the car when I should have some color pics by the end of the week. Also had matching caliper paint mixed up color scheme is going to be green/black. taking my interior to a local upholstery shop to get some prices... we'll see.

finally finished up the forming of the driver side skirt and wheel flare for rr bumper. starting on molds for those asap.

also started on dents that need some fluff.

last but not least.... the scoop!! lol I plopped some mud on there last night and just did a ruff form to see if I'm going to like it.... I do but it has a long way to go. please chime in on opinions on this roof scoop.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:14 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Is the ducting for the roof scoop going to go through the cabin and rear fire wall?
Old 01-23-2018, 02:28 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sweet victory
Is the ducting for the roof scoop going to go through the cabin and rear fire wall?
blind scoop, I'm reliving my childhood "that looks cool" thoughts on this one guys lol its just for decorations. it will only weigh about 2lbs but I'm pretty sure it will make the car faster
Old 01-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

ttt123, I know you're just test fitting at this stage but where you're at now it's hard to imagine because, as you said, it's just a lump of mud on top of your car. If you decide to go through with this, pay very close attention to the curves at the opening of the scoop as they can make or break your look. Right now with no opening it looks very awkward - almost like a "Gurney bump" was added for a center driver. Between the neon green paint and the over-fenders I'm not sure if the scoop will be perfect or crossing the line, LOL!

Here's one I found that I think looks pretty good for what it is.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

that one is sharp. I'm thinking mine needs to get wider and the front bump is just that... lump of mud. its going to take a few days to dry and then I can start doing some forming. I'm not sure how tall I want it either. but the beauty of doing this stuff with the dry wall mud... its soooo easy to form and change things up.thanks for the input.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:14 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Get thin sheets of Styrofoam cut to size and laminate them onto the roof. Shape it to your liking and fiberglass when done. Real easy to work with and redo if you don't like it.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:58 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Get thin sheets of Styrofoam cut to size and laminate them onto the roof. Shape it to your liking and fiberglass when done. Real easy to work with and redo if you don't like it.
i'v done the Styrofoam method... not a fan vs this method. I can get much more detail out of the mud than the foam. but everyone does there own thing and theirs more than one way to skin the cat

Thanks
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Roger that. I over looked the drywall mud and thought you used Bondo...Sand away!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
how the hell did you reattach the sunroof panel! I gave up, it’s been sitting on my garage shelf for 3 years.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

blind scoop, I'm reliving my childhood "that looks cool" thoughts on this one guys lol its just for decorations. it will only weigh about 2lbs but I'm pretty sure it will make the car faster
Why don't you try something that will actually make the car faster like the "double bubble" on the 911R and the 997 Classic Sport?

See: http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/ima...ery=1&igid=121
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Why don't you try something that will actually make the car faster like the "double bubble" on the 911R and the 997 Classic Sport?

See: http://www.design911.co.uk/pages/ima...ery=1&igid=121
neat look but i'v already started forming the center bubble but if I don't like it when I finish.. maybe i'll redirect.

So just a quick update. Last night I pulled off my first mold.. came out quite nice I wont have much clean up to do for it and will hopefully be making my first part within in a week. tonight or tomorrow i'll be pulling my second mold which is the driver side of the mold I pulled last night. one side of the skirt mold is almost ready to be pulled probably another week on that. the skirts are taking longer than I thought and turning out to be harder than I wanted lol laying the fiber glass on the underside is not easy, kills my arm, fiberglass sometimes wants to fall and its just a pain in the dupa.

so the pics below have the mold mess, just want to say a quick comment on this for anyone who might be trying this stuff. using the drywall mud as my forming component when popping the mold makes this part easy. all I had to do was squirt water periodically around the mold and let it run down underneath over the span of about 20 minutes and viola... it falls right off. The drywall mud, once it gets wet just turns to mush. Run it under some water and clean off the mold and its done. way easier than trying to pop the wax layer that is usually done. I do put wax under there as well but mainly as a way to just be another barrier to separate the mold from the car.

The paint pics!!!!! omg guys... this paint looks amazing !!! the pics do NO justice to how it looks. the pearl in this paint looks so nice. I've painted metallic over the years and this is my first time painting with a pearl and wow.. just wow it looks so good. the pics below are before I wet sanded and clear coated so it did darken up just a bit and show the pearl better after. i'll get some better pics of the paint another time.

more updates in about two weeks.. hopefully

Brian

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)