996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:37 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
Default like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

so I've been working on this for 2 weeks now and although I'm sure I'll get some guff for doing this from the Porsche gods... I'm enjoying it and having fun with my boy. so to the haters... please remember, it's just a car and life is short creating memories with my son that will never be forgotten.. and I get a cool unique Porsche out of it

so attached is the car as it looked when I bought it this last summer before we cut it up lol also is the picture of the fenders I purchased off ebay for another project. My son is holding up the fender to see how it would looked. I did post this pic once before and it was labeled as ugly as an "uncircumcised *****" lolololol

So after thinking about it for a bit and selling my boxster a few weeks ago I thought ... why not !!! I've always wanted one of the those eye popping exotic cars I see on youtube and this Porsche is going to be it... or it will get sold for pennies on the dollor because I'm to embarrassed to drive it around my buddies with nice cars on our cruises in the summer cuz it sticks out like a sore thumb lol we will see.

Color is going to be synergy green, I bought the GT3 rear bumper, bought a GT3 style wing I'm going to custom modify to work with the areo wing on there. I also deleted the sun roof(weld in roof panel) and plan on doing a roof scoop.. yes a hated roof scoop. just save the judgment till the end I will post more pics and post following this post as I'm not sure how many pics I can load per post. I will also describe each pic in the post so others who go down this road understand what all I'm doing and why.

I have not decided on the front bumper yet but it will not be the stock one. I might do something with the front hood as well... and fenders lol this is a work in progress.

I am a little further along than the pics will show as I don't have them all on my phone but will update as work is completed.

1999 Carrera with manual 6speed, complete fabspeed exhaust, fabspeed cold air intake, my genius tune and a complete Memphis stereo system with subs... loudest and best sounding system I have ever heard in a car and I used to do systems as a younger guy. it was done before I purchased the car and who ever did it spent some SERIOUS money on the stereo system.. I mean wow guys the car sounds amazing.

Brian

PS. I'm putting this thread in the three Porsche forums I'm a member in ... I love constructive criticism or fun car talk.

The following users liked this post:
k-dogg (09-17-2021)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

So these pics are of the cutting of the fenders... yes I did shed a tear or two as I made the cut lol

it went smoothly and I was able to cut exactly to my lines and was very happy with the alignment of the fenders wells to the body afterwards.

Old 01-03-2018, 10:51 AM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

looks good Brian, cant wait to see the final result
Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

So now onto the welding. I started out with just a quick tac weld every inch or so as I wanted to make sure it was secure to the body but I didn't want to cause any warping. once it was tacked on I then went back and would weld about 3 inches at a time and let it cool down before welding again. I also made a return at the bottom of both fenders so they were not just flapping around toward the bottom of the fender and welded those on as well.

The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (10-27-2020)
Old 01-03-2018, 11:08 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

More of the welding and smoothing out the welds.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:09 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Making some side skirts to blend into the fenders.

I originally bought the GT3 side skirts off Ebay... wow they were quite flimsy and I did not like the look. I planned on moding them to make them work with what I was doing but decided it would be better to just make my own.

so these are just the forms in the pics right now. I will be making my molds from these which I can then pop a part to attached to the car. Very easy process, just takes a little patience.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:11 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

few more. I'm not 100% finished with the look but you can see the direction I'm going.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

So if you have ever bought a Duraflex part you probably already know how thin and weak they can be. That's not a slam on Duraflex. I have used a lot of there stuff and I like using them. But for those who don't know... they can crack and break and alignment can be frustrating at times.

The two pics attached show what I did to make them fit a little better. when I initially put the rear bumper on it was way to wide where it would attach by the rear fender. so much so that it cracked and slit apart at the rear passenger side corner about 3 inches long.

What I did was measure the width of the car where they mount and drew some lines on the ground. forced the sides to those lines with the straps you see in the pics and then put some fiber/poly on the inside of the bumper to help with strength and to hopefully conform it a little more to make it a bit more narrow.... it worked and once I get everything fitted and finished before paint I plan on doing it again and pretty much coating the entire inside of the bumper with two layers of 1.5 chopped to help it. this will help with the sun warping it as well in the summer.. ask me how I know that lol

Good stuff, you just need to be willing to add your touch to it and make it work.
and that's it till I take more pics. thanks for reading guys.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tekkie
looks good Brian, cant wait to see the final result
Thank you sir
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

No flaming here...I love me some good fab work! Beautiful.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:36 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks great!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:37 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nickshu
No flaming here...I love me some good fab work! Beautiful.
Originally Posted by strathconaman
Looks great!
I love you guys!!!!! lol
Old 01-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Very cool....so who will do the final paint and body work? Are you going to respray the whole car?

Was it a factory aero kit car or just the rear wing? Can't figure it out from the pictures because of the color of the car.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:51 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

The edge you added to the rocker panel looks really sharp. Can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 01-03-2018, 11:57 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Very cool....so who will do the final paint and body work? Are you going to respray the whole car?

Was it a factory aero kit car or just the rear wing? Can't figure it out from the pictures because of the color of the car.
I will do the paint and body work.... in my garage I will have to build me a point booth. I had one in my last house but this is our first year in this house and I don't have a pull barn here so I'm improvising

not sure what the options were for the areo but I'm leaning towards it was just the rear wing.

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
The edge you added to the rocker panel looks really sharp. Can't wait to see the finished product!
the few people who have seen the car in person have all said the same thing about the skirts lol the pics are not doing it justice. it really stands out and looks great in person.

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)