996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

so I wet sanded and put on some clear coat. also fitted the exhaust in there. if I was going to do it again.. I'd go just an inch or two skinnier on the width. it was tight making these bends. I still need to make the exit to the tips for it but you can pretty much see how its going to be. the pic from the rear with the bumper on where you can see the exhaust hanging down was before I raised it a little. Its about an inch higher so theirs a little less sticking down. no more updates for a little bit as I have to head out of town for a few days for work which is going to slow me down

Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 AM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Very impressive -what spray equipment are you using ? There does not appear to be a lot of overspray or a green tinted garage .
Old 04-20-2018, 10:23 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Very impressive -what spray equipment are you using ? There does not appear to be a lot of overspray or a green tinted garage .
Campbell hausfield compressor, tsc $450
Divibliss spray gun, $600
box fan from walmart.... $10 lol
sheet of 1/8 thick wood for surround... $7

Ya know I should probably talk about the elephant in the room for those of you who paint or know how to paint. I will be the first to admit, the way I'm painting is not the norm. With patience, care for detail and some serious thought I've painted 8 cars now in garages including one in a hay barn .. on a windy day lol

box fan in the window (see pic) crack the man door and I have my draft.. not much but enough to keep it from rising and then falling on the car. If you noticed I painted everything separate. this allowed me to end my spray lines off the part being painted making any over spray go into air. with out good draft over spray kills a paint job done this way. when painting the car it self I started on one side and went around to the other very quickly so there was no corner that met a surface already painted for over spray. my draft was enough to clear the air before the paint dried allowing any that did settle back down just blended in.

There is plenty of fuzzies I get in my paint job... that's where some really good wet sanding comes in. sand it, clean it , prime it and sand, prime it and sand, paint it and wet sand, clear coat it and buff or wet sand depending on fuzzies. Guys I am self taught but IN MY OPINION you can paint a pretty good paint job if you wet sand wet sand wet sand.

I painted my 1994 Camaro one time after a few guys at work said I couldn't get a good paint job with a spray can.. I painted it with spray cans(7 of them lol), wet sanded it and clear coated and drove it to work. no one would believe me until I showed the pics of me doing it with the spray cans. again in my opinion it all comes down to wet sanding. I read an article about 14yrs ago on wet sanding and I've been sold ever since.

if you a painter and your calling bs... shut up its my car and no one else will see the flaws you see just kidding

thanks
brian

ps, wet sanding also does a great job of knocking down orange peel as well.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I'm with you on the self painting, it works much better than people think. I painted several panels for my 968 in the garage, in silver (metallic) and then clear coat. Worked great, very good match to the original, nobody ever noticed. Congrats on taking this step yourself.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

really nice work!.
I painted my 914 in my garage similar to you, but I had some defects in the paint from crap in the air; wet sanded out pretty well
Old 04-20-2018, 02:13 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911Syncro
I'm with you on the self painting, it works much better than people think. I painted several panels for my 968 in the garage, in silver (metallic) and then clear coat. Worked great, very good match to the original, nobody ever noticed. Congrats on taking this step yourself.
and its so fun lol
thanks

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
really nice work!.
I painted my 914 in my garage similar to you, but I had some defects in the paint from crap in the air; wet sanded out pretty well
I want to get a v8 swapped 914 one day oh and paint it as well. they are getting hard to find now though
Old 04-20-2018, 05:48 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Yay santa just came 😉
Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 PM
dcdrechsel
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the info -I think your technique ,attention to detail and a good gun proves it can be done .Now a real challenge would be a harbor freight knock off gun .I bet you could pull it off .
Old 04-21-2018, 10:33 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Just so cool what you are doing with the car! And yes, we love the pictures! Keep it coming!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:43 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

UGH. I actually change my request - would you be willing to teach me about painting, or point me toward some good learning materials? Fiberglass can wait.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:59 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dcdrechsel
Thanks for the info -I think your technique ,attention to detail and a good gun proves it can be done .Now a real challenge would be a harbor freight knock off gun .I bet you could pull it off .
This is the second car i've painted with that gun. the first one was the silver boxster, pic below. all the other cars i used the walmart cambpell hausfeild gun...$39 lol last summer when i did the boxster paintjob the guy at the parts store convinced me to pull the trigger on a real gun.. pull the trigger.. get it.. nevermind lol so i bought and wow .. ya its hard to paint bad with that gun.

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
Just so cool what you are doing with the car! And yes, we love the pictures! Keep it coming!
thank you. this post will have tons of pics

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
UGH. I actually change my request - would you be willing to teach me about painting, or point me toward some good learning materials? Fiberglass can wait.
always willing to help out fellow car enthusiast my garage is always open lol

ok so all the pics for this post and the next are from today. i'm leaving town for work for a few days tomorrow after church and wont get to work on the car for a bit so i thought i'd update one last time since i had a really good day.

I woke and finished welding the exhaust since i just had it tack welded. then pulled off the upper control arms from the rear and a few other things i wanted sand blasted, took apart the exhaust system and headed to my brothers where all my bigger tools are... i gave them all to him my last house had a pole barn/man cave and this house has no room so he know has some of my stuff.

also started on redoing the exhaust tips today.. that means i cut them up lol. when i got home i painted the exhaust, put on the front drivers fender, the plastic gaurd in front of the door, the gas fill hose, the exhaust, painted my hinges for the front and rear hoods, mounted the spoiler.. and drink a cold sprite (super sore throat and cough

I took a pic of the paint i used for the exhaust incase any of you want to try it in the future. VHT is the best in my book, super tuff, looks great and doesnt fade with heat like some of them do. How am i going to get it to stick to stainless you ask... i sand blasted it lol hopefully the roughness of the surface will being enough to keep it sticking.. if not.... it will. looks like a brand new system.

the pic of the orange package is the christmas trees i used to fasten the plastic piece in front of the door since i ruined the factory ones getting them off. but i think these look better anyway.

i took some pics of spots where you can see the black with green paint so you can see the contrast... i love it. ok its late for me and i'm just rambling.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:01 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

few more from today.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:15 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

ok guys.. I need help.. please someone help.

I am calling everywhere trying to get rims and tires and just about everyone is giving me different answers on offsets and spacing and the size of the moon during an eclipse

can someone who is following this thread do some leg work for me? I feel like a dupa for asking but I'm on week two now with no results. this is a 1999 carrara coupe. I measured the outer surface of the ROTOR to the OUTER fender well and I get 4.25 inches. so with the stock fitment of the inner wheel well, does anyone have a concrete answer on what spacing I need to go with. I would like to put a tire under there that is at a minimum of 305 wide back there. I'd rather be like a 315 or 325 but I'm getting less and less picky as I get frustrated with it. if you know of a wheel on ebay or somewhere else.. I'm ready to buy I just cant get a tire company to give me a direct answer. I want a rim that shows the calipers. perferrably an 18' front and 19 rear.. again I'm not picky lol

thanks
Old 05-02-2018, 12:26 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Love the fact you are taking this entire project on yourself. In the end you will have built a truly unique vehicle. Congrats in advance.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
can someone who is following this thread do some leg work for me? I feel like a dupa for asking but I'm on week two now with no results. this is a 1999 carrara coupe. I measured the outer surface of the ROTOR to the OUTER fender well and I get 4.25 inches. so with the stock fitment of the inner wheel well, does anyone have a concrete answer on what spacing I need to go with. I would like to put a tire under there that is at a minimum of 305 wide back there. I'd rather be like a 315 or 325 but I'm getting less and less picky as I get frustrated with it. if you know of a wheel on ebay or somewhere else.. I'm ready to buy I just cant get a tire company to give me a direct answer. I want a rim that shows the calipers. perferrably an 18' front and 19 rear.. again I'm not picky lol
It's going to be tough to help you with this because you've modified the fenders, so factory wheel specs aren't going to cut it. Also, if you're measuring with the car in the air, your measurements won't work since the suspension arcs when it compresses.

I recommend putting the factory wheels back on, setting it on the ground, and then measuring from the edge of the factory wheels to find out how much wider you can go and/or how much less offset you will need. Experimenting with some wheel spacers or even washers would be a good idea.

It appears you more or less made the rears equal to a widebody car, so my initial recommendation would be something along the lines of a 19x11 et30. In the front, something like 19x8.5 et40 is good.

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)