Sponsored by:

Death of my beloved 2000 C2 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:07 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,920 Likes on 2,908 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
Car has 154k miles!. Daily driver. Never gave me major issues except for a O2 sensor and a MAF sensor. Not counting parade laps, I have only tracked it twice: once with the PCA at a track day event, the second two days ago. And I am a novice for sure who just wanted to have casual fun with his car.

I really love this car. Everything on it works (except one of my key remotes) It has been well maintained, is clean, and solid, but not to the level that would make the car very valuable. I have done a lot of simple work on this car myself, and spent too much on it already—I just don’t know if I can stomach a new engine.
IMHO I think you are asking for trouble tracking a car with 154K on the clock.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:19 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

You'd be better off selling it as a roller and buying another 996, set it up properly and enjoy it.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
You'd be better off selling it as a roller and buying another 996, set it up properly and enjoy it.
Kinda depends on how the current car is setup. If its got a well sorted supension, rollbar, upgraded brakes, etc, then it would be tough to replicate that with a new car.

Also depends on the OP's mechanical abilities and his bargain hunting abilities as it relates to finding a good engine. There are bargains out there if you can wait and are diligent about casting a wide net.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Misfires/bad coils often sound loud and pretty bad on an M96 even though it's just that, a misfire. Clean oil and no intermix, I would pull a plug and look inside before going crazy about the next steps.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmet
Misfires/bad coils often sound loud and pretty bad on an M96 even though it's just that, a misfire. Clean oil and no intermix, I would pull a plug and look inside before going crazy about the next steps.
I have to agree. I tried to start my Chevy smallbock for the first time and thought I blew something up big time when I heard the equivalent of a gun shot. The timing was off and the cylinder open fired with the exhaust valve open.

Hopefully the OP just has something painless like this.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:38 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
IMHO I think you are asking for trouble tracking a car with 154K on the clock.
It all depends on how you track your car.

If you're out there shifting at the redline throughout the whole session and extracting every last horse out of the engine then yes.

But if you're instead using the track session to learn the technical nature of a track and try to perfect your turns before building speed then I would argue it's not really that much different than daily driving.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
If you're out there shifting at the redline throughout the whole session and extracting every last horse out of the engine then yes..
I was unaware there was any other which way to drive on a track in a...., Porsche.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't typically take my car to the track, just drive it in the canyons. When I "tracked" it the first time I was fairly conservative with a PCA instructor in the novice (green) group, but was able to do some good lap times. The second (last?) time I tracked it was with a different organization--they moved me out of the novices since I was experienced and I didn't need an instructor. But then they moved me up again, but it turned out to be two steps up (skipped blue and purple, up to black--I'm sure color is meaningless). The next group was very experienced and equipped (Audi RS super cars and Caymans with full race wings, etc.) so I really pushed it--for me anyway--obviously a big mistake.

It seems there were only a few kinds of drivers: kids with their tricked out economy cars, older guys with their brand new leased sedans or supercars, a few fully spec-ed out race cars, and guys with beaters. I was the only one with a rear-engined, 18-year-old, low value daily driver.

The spec Cayman blew his engine too! Not a good day for the Porsches.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:02 PM
brwilson
Advanced

Glitter. Done and done.

Oil filtered through cheesecloth

No need to cut it open

Glitter in cartridge housing.

Magnetic

Magnetic

Looks like Testors paint
Old 10-30-2017, 11:29 PM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the loss. Do you plan to rebuild, source a used engine, or move on?
Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry for the bad result here. You can always ditch the roller & grab an e36 m3 to get back on the track. Or a Boxster if another m96 is what you want to drive. Good luck going forward.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:19 AM
brwilson
Advanced

I am leaning towards the rebuild route—if it can be. I have researched some of the exchange-type services for these motors as well. It is all pricy, but if it is less than the cost of a well-sorted car, it might be worth it.

Walking away is probably the sanest option.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:31 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brwilson
I am leaning towards the rebuild route—if it can be. I have researched some of the exchange-type services for these motors as well. It is all pricy, but if it is less than the cost of a well-sorted car, it might be worth it.

Walking away is probably the sanest option.
What fun would there be in that.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:03 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
But if you're instead using the track session to learn the technical nature of a track and try to perfect your turns before building speed then I would argue it's not really that much different than daily driving.
I don't agree. At a race track I am constantly over the speed limit, even on a cool down lap. Can't compare at all to daily driving.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:54 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

agree, if you are at the track and it feels like daily driving, you either drive like a maniac on the street, or you drive like a grandma at the track.

Full throttle (even if not to redline) to full brakes, right back to full throttle, with max G turns thrown in the middle is not like daily driving to me.

Quick Reply: Death of my beloved 2000 C2 (?)