996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New 996, been sitting for 5 years!

Old 07-20-2017, 09:12 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Please go here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post14334932 and ad yourself to the poll.
I'm on top of it
Old 07-20-2017, 09:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

I used this to get my engine out

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-996-997-Carrera/15-ENGINE-Engine_Drop/15-ENGINE-Engine_Drop.htm
Old 07-20-2017, 11:36 AM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm wondering now if the ancillary costs will make this a cost prohibitive project. I could get the rebuilt engine for $9k shipped to my door. But then I will want to add all new accessories as it goes back together. Starter, alternator etc. And then at the end of the day I have maybe $20k into a 2000 911 with 130k miles. Obviously new motor but I'm not sure its worth the effort and at that point what would it be worth?
Old 07-20-2017, 12:15 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm wondering now if the ancillary costs will make this a cost prohibitive project. I could get the rebuilt engine for $9k shipped to my door. But then I will want to add all new accessories as it goes back together. Starter, alternator etc. And then at the end of the day I have maybe $20k into a 2000 911 with 130k miles. Obviously new motor but I'm not sure its worth the effort and at that point what would it be worth?
It "might" be worth 20k with a "new"(rebuilt) motor and accessories, but it's a crap-shoot. The real question is - What's it worth to you and how long will you keep it ? In almost all cases, if the answer isn't forever (i.e. no plans to sell, except for unforseen circumstances) it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

If it has 130K, you might just want to sell it as a roller. Or get some really inexpensive wheels, sell the wheels and tires separately and then sell it as a roller. You could easily have $20K into it, and a lot of your blood, sweat and tears. Or you could buy one ready to go today for $20K with less miles.

Best of luck. I thought you were really lucky, but it was just too good to be true.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:57 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Time is money, how much did you have budgeted for this project in the beginning? You're on a fine line with this one...
Old 07-20-2017, 01:02 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

I figured out years ago, most car projects are only 'worth' it, if you get the enjoyment out of it, if you are looking for market value in terms of dollars most car projects aren't worth it.

If you fix the car up and enjoy it for years, then you got a helluva car for $20k, if you fix it up and try and sell it you'll probably be disappointed
Old 07-20-2017, 01:12 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

What do these commonly sell for as a roller? I'm keeping the wheels and swapping with a set of stockers.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:59 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

What do these commonly sell for as a roller? I'm keeping the wheels and swapping with a set of stockers.
$5-8k... with 130k on it, there's a good chance some of your suspension needs work as well...
Old 07-20-2017, 02:33 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

if you part out, I'd seriously be interested in the motor.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:51 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're going come out even or slightly ahead with your approach. Given how much these cars are worth, the risk of catastrophic failure, and higher running costs, you get underwater on these cars quickly. Only worth it if you willing to pay to play.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a roller, do a rebuild that addresses the known failure points, and just drive it. I'd probably be in it for $30K (I'm way over that with my current car btw), which is significantly over the value of the car. Couple of questions you have to ask yourself at this point:

1. What else is going to give this kind of experience at $30K? Probably also going to be an older German car.

2. You could cut bait and go buy a $15K runner. Could run forever, or could experience one of the 29 modes of failure and you're in the same predicament as now, except you started at a $15K cost point instead of $7K.

3. You buy something that's already had the failure points addressed (rare) - best bet is Stone Gate Autos - link in earlier post.

This is just the 996 NA. Argument could be made for just ponying up a bit extra $ (vs the $30K I mentioned) and getting a turbo, which is supposed be much more reliable.

Good luck either way. Suggest you go drive a running 996 if you haven't already, might explain why a lot of us a burning money to keep these running.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:53 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I am also here if you ever need anything so please don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.
Originally Posted by AWDGuy
if you part out, I'd seriously be interested in the motor.
Sent you a PM
Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrjonger
I think you're going come out even or slightly ahead with your approach. Given how much these cars are worth, the risk of catastrophic failure, and higher running costs, you get underwater on these cars quickly. Only worth it if you willing to pay to play.

If I had to do it over again, I'd buy a roller, do a rebuild that addresses the known failure points, and just drive it. I'd probably be in it for $30K (I'm way over that with my current car btw), which is significantly over the value of the car. Couple of questions you have to ask yourself at this point:

1. What else is going to give this kind of experience at $30K? Probably also going to be an older German car.

2. You could cut bait and go buy a $15K runner. Could run forever, or could experience one of the 29 modes of failure and you're in the same predicament as now, except you started at a $15K cost point instead of $7K.

3. You buy something that's already had the failure points addressed (rare) - best bet is Stone Gate Autos - link in earlier post.

This is just the 996 NA. Argument could be made for just ponying up a bit extra $ (vs the $30K I mentioned) and getting a turbo, which is supposed be much more reliable.

Good luck either way. Suggest you go drive a running 996 if you haven't already, might explain why a lot of us a burning money to keep these running.

I'm with you here. I paid so little for the car its still a good start for an engine swap. I'm looking into options for motors and can't get over the cost but at least a decent long block from most reputable builders has all major fail points addressed. I'm really wary of a used motor. I don't think people are all that honest and even if they don't think anything is wrong, my first oil change could prove otherwise.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Time is money, how much did you have budgeted for this project in the beginning? You're on a fine line with this one...
Understood but this is a hobby for me. I buy cars and bikes and fix them up, keep them or sell them. I'm not doing this to get rich, its a release from my day job which is high stress high hours.

Dropping and replacing the motor looks very straightforward, I think I could knock it out in a weekend easily.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:22 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, a weekend and that motor is out for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 996, been sitting for 5 years!