Sponsored by:

New 996, been sitting for 5 years!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
You guys are right it's probably not worth the money. Then again, maybe it's not that big of a deal what the car is worth and I'll just do the project to say I swapped an 911 motor. Nice one to add to my list!

This is is a great forum - I really appreciate all of the thoughtful and helpful comments so far.
Another alternative...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...a-engine-swap/
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pfbz

😂😂😂😂
Old 07-21-2017, 12:27 AM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like most have said there will be many other unplanned costs that will put you very far into the red. I recently bought a good running car and getting it caught up with maintenance, I am over 7k into the project. The small dumb things add up very fast. Im down to just brakes and suspension left with my "restore" and I can tell you plan for atleast 50% more then you expect it to cost...lol
Old 07-21-2017, 12:34 AM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Ok so my buddy suggested possibly looking at a donor car. Lots of running/driveable on the lot cars out there with accident damage and salvage titles. And they are cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts on a donor car? Use what I need, keep some spares, sell off the good parts and my dead engine core and scrap the damaged body.

Ive done this before with motorcycles and it usually works out. If you commit to scrap/giveaway the leftovers than the mess is gone quickly and you make back a few bucks.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:49 AM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id personally be very worried about hitting the unlucky lottery again with the crashed car's motor. How well can you really test out a car with accident damage motor condition? Plus there is still a large list of "stuff" you SHOULD buy for the transplant. New coils, plug tubes, AOS, aux tank, mounts, oil filler, IMS, RMS, water pump, chain tensioners or clutch parts if need, ect ect.. Just cannot see any realistic way it will work out cheaper then taking the small loss selling your roller, and buying a good running/maintained car for 15-20k (or less). And you will be driving it in days instead of months. Just my opinion looking at it from a $$$$$ perspective.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:01 AM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by shawn_nj
Id personally be very worried about hitting the unlucky lottery again with the crashed car's motor. How well can you really test out a car with accident damage motor condition? Plus there is still a large list of "stuff" you SHOULD buy for the transplant. New coils, plug tubes, AOS, aux tank, mounts, oil filler, IMS, RMS, water pump, chain tensioners or clutch parts if need, ect ect.. Just cannot see any realistic way it will work out cheaper then taking the small loss selling your roller, and buying a good running/maintained car for 15-20k (or less). And you will be driving it in days instead of months. Just my opinion looking at it from a $$$$$ perspective.
All great points. Thanks for chiming in!
Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 AM
DarenB68
Advanced

Not to put you off doing whatever you want to do, but this page full of 911s from the Seattle/Portland CL might at least serve as a reality check with regard to resale values of cars that seem very nice and at or under 90k miles, inc cabs.
https://portland.craigslist.org/sear...o_miles=100000
Old 07-21-2017, 08:52 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would definitely sell the motor to AWDGuy or whomever wants the core, swap the wheels for stockers and sell the BBS, then clean up the chassis best I could and try to sell the roller chassis. If that failed then I would part it out.

I can never imagine this being worth the hassle to put in another engine with so many running 996s out there.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:07 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all - I just picked up a non - running 2000 996 for the price of a roller that has been sitting for 5 years, seller says "electrical problem" but I believe barely anything I read on the internet. Wanted to start here, just signed up for the forum after lurking for a few weeks.

Car is a 6 speed, 130k miles. Clean carfax and a lot of service records. I bought it and had it flatbedded to my house. I have only had about an hour or two with it so far so I gave it a bath to make it easier to get to everything.

So far:

1. Frayed wires in the back relay panel - I soldered them up so the connections are nice and clean. No water or evidence of water in the car
2. Engine turns over by hand just fine.
3. Oil looks and smells fine, filled to proper level
4. Put a brand new battery in, fully charged and car cranks over but very slowly. Going to go over all connections
5. Going to pull the plugs and check for spark tonight.
6. Have a Durametric cable on order.

Anyone have any suggestions on things to look for to chase down this no start condition? Obviously IMS is a concern with any 996, if the IMS went would the engine still turn over?

Once running, I will obviously perform a full tip to tip tune up (car needs tires too) but want to verify it runs before spending any more money on it.

Thanks all!
I don't understand why not just fix it? If your into it that cheap and can DIY the motor swap etc why not? You will still have a nice 911 under market value by a fair margin. Enjoy it for a while flip it and move on. Personally I would find a cheap set of OEM wheels and sell off the BBS to fund part of a Vertex engine. Remember a good portion of the guys commenting on this form can't turn a wrench fwiw.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/d/...213115840.html

This one is local to me. Not sure how much they want for it but may solve your block issues as long as you can transfer everything else. I have been down there before and they are very friendly and helpful guys.

As an aside, not sure what your time is worth but don't think that you will get out ahead hanging on to this car. If you must do it, do it as a project, love it because it is a project and not because it makes sense.

...and post lots of pics.

D.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Ok so my buddy suggested possibly looking at a donor car. Lots of running/driveable on the lot cars out there with accident damage and salvage titles. And they are cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts on a donor car? Use what I need, keep some spares, sell off the good parts and my dead engine core and scrap the damaged body.

Ive done this before with motorcycles and it usually works out. If you commit to scrap/giveaway the leftovers than the mess is gone quickly and you make back a few bucks.
What's plan B or C if your donor car engine blows up after you put all that work into it?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:28 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Shaun on the donor car, you just don't know what you're getting. The core charge for the EPS motor is $4K, you might not get that after it's sent to EPS, but that's probably what AWD would have to come up with to make the OP whole.

Good luck either way. I think you end of burning some cash on this if you do it, but I think it's worth it and it's under your threshold. When you factor wear items, I don't think there's anyway you come out even (I think you factored it in when you were saying incidentals).
Old 07-21-2017, 01:31 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

"Condition: good"

LOL, I'd like to see what they call poor condition.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 743 Posts

http://www.ladismantler.com/engine-2/
Surprised no one suggested this yet.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:53 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

I'm debating putting the wheels and car (separately or together) up for sale as is and seeing if I can get what I need for it. Nothing definite yet but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM or post up here. If I can get close to my number I might let it go and grab a runner. Something to be said for driving next week instead of 2 months from now.

Quick Reply: New 996, been sitting for 5 years!