Sponsored by:

New 996, been sitting for 5 years!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:50 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
I totally agree. I'm taking everyone's opinion with a grain of salt. For example, I'd bet I'm one of the few people on this forum to have rebuilt and swapped a motor into anything. Besides the pros of course.

At the the same time I'm new here and trying to be respectful of what people have to say when they take the time to comment on my thread.

Ive gained a lot of insight so far. Honestly my instinct was to rebuild this block that just seems to be such a foreign option in 996 land. I'm used to American V8s of which I can remove, rebuild and replace in a weekend.

The idea of a used motor for 7-8k is crazy to me but I guess that's this world for 996s.
IMO, you're taking a good approach. If you've got the time, read up on a lot of Jake's posts about the M96 engine, especially some of his comments in the various threads where people were rebuilding their engines. I've never rebuilt anything bigger than a couple motorcycles, but I've learned a lot from this forum about how the M96 works.

Jake would be the first guy to tell you that you have to make up your own mind (in fact, I think he already did :-) but he's posted a lot of really valuable information along the way. And it's a safe bet the BS gene got left out of his DNA.

OK, end of unsolicited Flat Six commercial:-) But seriously, there are some "been there, done that" people who post on here, and you'll figure out pretty quickly who they are.

And yeah, when a brand new LS crate motor goes for not much more than getting your M96 block sleeved, it'll for sure make you shake your head.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

I must say, your car looks the part...Good Luck with your choices and keep us posted!
Old 07-24-2017, 01:03 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the main sticking point with OP is whether or not his block is reusable or eligible for a core refund. A no in that category changes the risk and cost profile from what I understand, but this could be a mistaken assumption.

Long term, if you like the chassis & car, diving into a project could yield nice dividends.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:53 AM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

After I took Jake's class in May I feel a lot more comfortable with the M96.

To take advantage of that new knowledge, I bought a roller to try out my new "skills". The car that I wound up with has an intermix issue. The problem could be as simple as a cracked head. Or, the engine could be scrap. I'll know more in a few weeks.

Knowing the disassembly, machine work, and rebuild process can take several months I bought a used engine from a Rennlister to put in the car to have something to drive while I go through the original engine. Assuming the used engine is good (I plan to get the engine swap done over the next few weeks) I'll have around $14K in the car (roller + used engine). What will the car be worth at that point? Probably what I have in it.

But, I didn't go into this to make money. This is a "learning lab" endeavor. Buying a running car is a far more rational decision if you want a car to drive immediately. In this case the purpose is to further expand on the knowledge gained in the class.

If you want to have some "fun" (your definition of fun might be different) then buy a used engine, change out the IMSB and other known failure points, and work on the car.

However, if you just want a car to drive then sell this one and buy a running car. You'll be WAY ahead in the long run.
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2017, 01:21 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys - I'm going to sell the car, I just put it up on the marketplace.. Thanks again for all of the help here, at the end of the day I decided I did not love any of my options so selling the car and searching for a new one makes the most sense economically. I was not attached to the car at all, I've only owned it for a few weeks.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...t-running.html

Last edited by surfinglbi23; 07-25-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No one is a leader anymore, we are a society of followers.

People don't want to take the chance of doing something the way they think is best, and potentially face failure.

If someone else doesn't do it, and write about it, or video it, then they don't want to do it...
I don't really agree but then again I'm Canadian

I'm from a group of friends and guys that DIY. Broken motor? I'm going to fix it. myself.
Leaky roof? I'm going to fix it. myself.

when I say "gotta go read and research this". that's exactly what I'm doing. educating myself to do the job at hand correctly.

don't lump everyone in the same group. some of us are genuinely interested in doing the job properly. and yeah - someone like me needs to do the research and learn.

because I want to do it right.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

when I say "gotta go read and research this". that's exactly what I'm doing. educating myself to do the job at hand correctly.
BUT, what does the person know who's sharing that info? Is it "parroted"? Is it mis- information? Does that person, who has become an expert in their own mind, know more about the topic than you do?

In regard to the M096 engine, I can tell you now that most of what's shared is "parroted", and hasn't been gained first hand. Guys that don't even have the tools to change their own damn oil are telling people all about what causes IMS bearing failures, and how someone else should repair their vehicle, or what product to use, or why. They have strong feelings about things they know nothing about.

That is the problem.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

yes, and I agree with mostly what you're saying but it's up to the reader to PROPERLY decipher the information and determine what they want to keep for their project. there was many times I was reading stuff about the M96 and I wanted to reply with "are you ****%×+ dumb? why did you do that?"

it didn't take long for me to see who knew what they were talking about and who didnt. and you have to ignore fanbois/haters as they can skew your thinking. between 6speedonline, renntech and rennlist, there was maybe 5 people that I paid attention to.

Ive said it many tims and I'll say it again. if I can build this motor in my garage, anyone can. But you need to do your homework. Your course and all the help I got from you, Tony and ashai really went a long, long way.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:09 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the real problem here is an obsession with hyperbole and repeated, outright dismissals of the value of discussion. It's a technical forum. For people to yammer on about issues of varying technicality. The onus is on the individual performing or paying for work to sift fact from fiction and sound opinion from horsesh!t.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
I think the real problem here is an obsession with hyperbole and repeated, outright dismissals of the value of discussion. It's a technical forum. For people to yammer on about issues of varying technicality. The onus is on the individual performing or paying for work to sift fact from fiction and sound opinion from horsesh!t.
exactly. took me close to a year of reading, researching to figure out my plan of attack. I didn't figure it out overnight.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by surfinglbi23
Hey guys - I'm going to sell the car, I just put it up on the marketplace.. Thanks again for all of the help here, at the end of the day I decided I did not love any of my options so selling the car and searching for a new one makes the most sense economically. I was not attached to the car at all, I've only owned it for a few weeks.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...t-running.html
Good luck with the sale, might be a little high at your price considering the mileage on the car.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:27 PM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Good luck with the sale, might be a little high at your price considering the mileage on the car.
Oh ok, what do you think is a fair price? I figured I'd start it there and negotiate it down but I can adjust it. Really shooting from the hip here!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:09 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

There was a roller on CL Atlanta last week with similar mileage but overall in better shape than yours appears to be. Asking price was $4999. It sold in less than a week. Just one data point, but I was going to buy it over the weekend at the ask. Someone beat me to it.
He bought it and installed a used engine and now it is re-listed at $20k.
I called the guy and he admitted it was the same car, bought an 80k mile engine for $6k and paid someone $3k for installation. No idea about the quality of the installation, but based on the speed of the flip, i doubt if he did more than a r&r.
No idea what the ultimate sale price will be. IMO not worth the 20k ask.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The last two rollers I saw on eBay closed around $8k. But that's eBay, so you never know if the cars really sold.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:47 AM
surfinglbi23
Instructor

Originally Posted by Coopduc
There was a roller on CL Atlanta last week with similar mileage but overall in better shape than yours appears to be. Asking price was $4999. It sold in less than a week. Just one data point, but I was going to buy it over the weekend at the ask. Someone beat me to it.
He bought it and installed a used engine and now it is re-listed at $20k.
I called the guy and he admitted it was the same car, bought an 80k mile engine for $6k and paid someone $3k for installation. No idea about the quality of the installation, but based on the speed of the flip, i doubt if he did more than a r&r.
No idea what the ultimate sale price will be. IMO not worth the 20k ask.
Thanks for the feedback, I think you are right on. Im seeing rollers sell $5500-$8k so I think I'll leave it at $5950 and take offers. $5k is a great deal for a roller no surprise it sold quick!

Quick Reply: New 996, been sitting for 5 years!