Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:46 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question

Guys,

I have searched previous posts for input on exhaust options, but I am still unclear on a few points...hopefully you can help.
I am considering replacing my exhaust system for one that sounds better, and provides some measure of performance improvement.
Additionally, I would like to keep my twin exhaust tips that are on my TT S.
I have seen the RS exhaust offered on P-cars, and was wondering if you guys have any other options I should consider...cos your all a darn sight more knowledgeable than I am on peformance related questions.
I looked at Fabspeeds muffler bypass pipe...no twin tip options otherwise this would be a no brainer.

Thxs in advance.

- james
Old 10-22-2003, 01:22 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

As far as I understand, the RS exhaust does not claim any performance improvement, just a better sound. Your car is an S with the 424hp (US spec) so with the higher boost it is running, a reduced back pressure muffler may liberate a few horses, giving slightly sharper throttle response and mid range.
I run the mufflers by Cargraphic, they are made in the UK by Phoenix who are a well respected supplier to many race teams. With stock cats the sound (from memory) is nice with zero resonance and you can have you twin outlets welded onto them.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently added the Fabspeed mufflers bypasses to my turbo (running factory cats), and found them to sound nicer and reduce the backpressure a bit. Of course, these wouldn't have the twin tips that are standard on the S model. I was wondering if a good muffler shop might be able to fabricate a set of bypasses using your tips and your flange (from your stock muffler) and just fabricate a tube to connect them... voila; muffler bypass with your factory tips. Should even be able to restore back to stock with a bit of effort.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:37 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who makes a decent set of headers for the 993tt? They have really strange design stock with the squared off parts. I saw on ttp a set of race headers that looked nice, but dunno if they allow everything else to bolt up. Anyone else know of a good header? the 996tt picks up a lot with a decent header and so should the 993tt.- High flow cats, k24's ecu and the like will likely follow also but just curious because I hate the design of the stock one from a tuner standpoint. Ideally equal length with mandral bends a nice collector where it meets the turbo and larger diam runners are in order ala the 996tt header by s car go.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:47 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thxs for the info guys, I will continue my search.

- james
Old 10-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 334 Likes on 224 Posts

If you are running stock cats, your car will perform much better with no mufflers. You cannot beat the stock headers. The odd shape is maximizing the heat and velocity. Equal length headers will slow the exhaust flow down and will increase the heat loss = lag. I have yet to see a aftermarket Street header system that has not shown a loss in torque over a sotck setup! By the way, there are a few modifications that one can do to the stock heat exchangers to gain a few extra foot pounds!
Old 10-26-2003, 02:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The factors I took into account are:
- quality and price
- power and torque
- sound
- weight reduction

Nothing in the exhaust, given the complications of the engine management and running turbos, will have a staggering effect on power and torque. Maybe a few ponies, but nothing that would justify the cost of the exhaust system alone. Of course, you could end up with a system that actually costs power.

100 cell / "race" cats will have some useful effect.

I have the (hellishly expensive) TechArt cat-back system. This saves a lot of weight and is the best sound on a 993 Turbo. My next step is 100 cell low-back-pressure cats of some sort. Catalytic converters are getting to be a lot cheaper, but they're still relatively expensive.

Whatever you choose, it will be possible to graft the twin tips of the Turbo S into place.

Unless you follow "the path" (turbos, intercooler, oil cooling, ECU) then the exhaust system is purely for sound. And you'll probably enjoy the car a lot more by just doing the suspension and putting in better brake pads (worked for me...)

Cheers,
Old 10-26-2003, 03:48 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Exhaust? I don't need no stinking exhaust.... Just ask Adam (Carrera GT).. I'll never be able to run Laguna Seca though.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:23 PM
msobota
Advanced

I purchased my 993tt used with loud aftermarket exhaust. It sounds good and I am not sure who made it but I will be interested to see how some of the other 993tt's sound. I definately don't like it quiet. I like the sound of a carburated high compression Porsche with straight through exhaust. I will, however, blow by that great sounding carburated high compression Porsche with respect and enthusiasm.

Mike Sobota
Old 10-26-2003, 09:50 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 234 Posts

I am considering replacing my exhaust system for one that sounds better, and provides some measure of performance improvement.
Install the FVD cat bypass pipes and keep the stock mufflers. The turbos will spool quicker and the car will accelerate faster. Sound will be slightly louder and improved. You will be able to keep the stock tips and realize a performance gain. I was very happy with this combination on my 993TT.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 10-26-2003, 09:52 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great tip John... I remember when you recommended this setup about a year ago. And that is what I'm going to go with for the street.

For the track, I'll probably put on a set of muffler bypass pipes in addition to the cat bypass pipes. Should be fun and loud...
Old 10-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

How are the FVD cat bypass pipes installed. What is the cost of the pipes? How much labor time. My car is way to quiet and any power or response improvement would be a bonus.
Old 10-27-2003, 11:45 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

The FVD cat bypasses simply bolt on in place of your existing cats. They are light, well-finished and look kind of factory. You can check the price at http://www.schatzmotorsport.com/. Mine were around $1750.00. It took Mr Schatz and his son a couple of hours to install them for me.
I'm pleased. Car sounds great and runs well. (I added some Fabspeed bypasses last week, but I think I will only run those on the track because around town, the noise was a little too attention-getting.)
Old 10-29-2003, 09:36 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Default How loud are the muffler bypasses?

For those of you who have muffler bypasses running with stock cats, how loud is it - OK for daily driving or really just for the track? Too loud for Laguna Seca?
Old 10-30-2003, 12:29 AM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

As the proud owner of John DII's former 993 TT I can attest to the FVD cat bypass as being an excellent setup for the street. The car sounds slightly louder than stock and runs very strong.I tried the RSR mufflers with this setup but was not pleased with the sound.In my opinion the car was to loud and sounded like a chevy with a hole in the muffler.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question