Sponsored by:

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
TimTennis
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leather Care

Curious to see how often members condition their full leather interior. My 2023 992S has the full truffle brown leather interior, with the 930 package and other additional leather upgrades. The car is kept in the garage and putting about 3,000 per year on it. I use Griotts leather conditioner on my 2019 eTron Prestige will full leather interior. Thoughts?

Popular Reply

Yesterday, 06:00 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,213 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Use a damp cloth to clean.

Leather conditioners are a waste of money since all auto leathers are covered with a thin clear plastic covering, and you are not really conditioning the leather.
Bzzzttttt,....thank you for playing, Staffie Guy! I know you're a Regular here and I respect that - but there is no plastic coating on leather - any leather.

The topcoat is pigmented using a speciality paint that remains flexible. All leather has to be cleaned and conditioned regularly to keep the longevity of the hide and for it to not crack out. You can't over condition it or overclean it, just as you can't overwash your own skin and over-apply hand lotion. The more frequently its done, the better your hides will look over time.

A damp cloth will not clean anything, just like a damp cloth won't clean you in the shower. You have to get some soap in the mix. I make my own cleaner after selling leather. upholstery for 40 years - and its cheap. Take a spritzer bottle of any size and fill it with 90% water, add in about 4 oz of white vinegar and one pump of the hand soap you have in the bathroom (unscented is best). Now you have the best leather cleaner around and it cost you about 20 cents to make a bottle.

I clean parts of mine with every car wash, the steering wheel, shift ****, driver's door and driver's seat. I do the rest of the interior (which is really not really used much ) 4x a year.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,420 Likes on 688 Posts

Leather conditioners are a waste of money since all auto leathers are covered with a thin clear plastic covering, and you are not really conditioning the leather.
The following 3 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
14turbo S (Yesterday), 2thHappy (Today), Hunky (Today)
Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy

Bzzzttttt,....thank you for playing, Staffie Guy! I know you're a Regular here and I respect that - but there is no plastic coating on leather - any leather.

The topcoat is pigmented using a speciality paint that remains flexible. All leather has to be cleaned and conditioned regularly to keep the longevity of the hide and for it to not crack out. You can't over condition it or overclean it, just as you can't overwash your own skin and over-apply hand lotion. The more frequently its done, the better your hides will look over time.

A damp cloth will not clean anything, just like a damp cloth won't clean you in the shower. You have to get some soap in the mix. I make my own cleaner after selling leather. upholstery for 40 years - and its cheap. Take a spritzer bottle of any size and fill it with 90% water, add in about 4 oz of white vinegar and one pump of the hand soap you have in the bathroom (unscented is best). Now you have the best leather cleaner around and it cost you about 20 cents to make a bottle.

I clean parts of mine with every car wash, the steering wheel, shift ****, driver's door and driver's seat. I do the rest of the interior (which is really not really used much ) 4x a year.

Last edited by drcollie; Yesterday at 06:03 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by drcollie:
2thHappy (Today), BUSSTUFJG (Today), Butzi (Yesterday), ferraris (Yesterday), gellie (Today), guards85 (Today), Kevin_ (Today), Larson E. Rapp (Yesterday), Master Deep (Yesterday), txpackers (Today) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
chatham996
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

“Saphir” is the gold standard for leather products. Their conditioning cream works great on all my leather interiors.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM
3520MMF
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Thanks for this great advice which I will use. It’s nice to have people who are out to help others
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,622 Likes on 928 Posts

I use the following in many on my autos.

Zaino

Z-9 and Z-10
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Harbortime
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RatherJaded
I use the following in many on my autos.

Zaino

Z-9 and Z-10
Does the 9 smell as strong as the 10? Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
jmrichards
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TimTennis
Curious to see how often members condition their full leather interior. My 2023 992S has the full truffle brown leather interior, with the 930 package and other additional leather upgrades. The car is kept in the garage and putting about 3,000 per year on it. I use Griotts leather conditioner on my 2019 eTron Prestige will full leather interior. Thoughts?
Does your car have ventilated seats? I wonder about using these products on seats with small holes in them.
Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

After I’m done washing the exterior of my car, I use a quick detail spray on the exterior. While that cloth is still damp with spray detail on it, I wipe the interior as well. I had my last car for more than five and a half years and the car was almost 9 years old and it looked brand new inside. Like the above poster stated our car leathers have a plastic coating on top of them.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 PM
Ripper T
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

How do you owners clean and condition your dark leather interiors with light colored stitching?

I'm afraid to use conditioner on my black leather with GT Silver stitching as I fear I'll ruin the stitching.

Your insight is appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TimTennis
DrCollie suggests a cup of water a cup of white vinegar with one pump of dish soap. Since I have a cab, I need to clean the leather more due to the sun block residue on the leather.
Old Today, 12:27 AM
f4bones
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 449 Posts

Would @drcollie recommend using a conditioner in addition to this cleaning solution? If so, which one, especially for dark (Tarpan / Black) leather??
Old Today, 12:39 AM
sonofjorel
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmrichards
Does your car have ventilated seats? I wonder about using these products on seats with small holes in them.
I have wondered this myself. I hope someone here has a good answer. I have wondered about this with any of the perforated leathers.
Old Today, 01:27 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,796 Likes on 5,153 Posts

I just try not get it dirty in the first place.
The following users liked this post:
doug_999 (Today)
Old Today, 07:15 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Yes, you need a Conditioner. You can buy whichever product you like or the one with the prettiest label. Don’t use saddle soaps or paste type product designed for pure aniline hides.

on the Perforated leathers, apply your products to your cloths first, don’t squirt them on the leather directly is the best way.

your stitching will not be affected by any cleaner or conditioner.

those of you that insist the leather is plastic coated, what can I say….. you must be Trumpers.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
1BTD (Today), Brick317 (Today), eagle1960 (Today), gellie (Today)

Quick Reply: Leather Care