992.2 C2 0-60 Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM
IWantMy911
AutoX

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 992.2 C2 0-60 Discrepancy

Just saw this video from AutoNL:

Looks like their Dragy showed 0-100km/h at around 3.75s.

Car and Driver however showed the 992.1 C2 does it repeatedly at 3.2s: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

This seems like quite a large discrepancy despite the .2 being slightly up in HP. Is this due to roll out, tires, pavement, km/h vs mph? Is the AutoNL driver not pushing as hard to make the GTS look better?

The following 2 users liked this post by IWantMy911:
JRoach (Yesterday), rmb1973 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,804 Likes on 5,157 Posts

Who cares?

I've never not enjoyed a car, or enjoyed a car more, because of something like 0.5 seconds.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Indyxc (Yesterday), Lk1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:55 AM
MAXFPS
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Porsche quotes 3.7 seconds 0-60, and they are said to be very conservative. A lot of folks on the forums have said Car & Drivers 3.2 must have been downhill with a tailwind or something, but I'll be very happy if I get 3.7 on mine.

The initial reviews have been wonderful for the base (all on Porsche's press day - we'll need to wait until the '25s get here for more evidently)
https://www.thedrive.com/car-reviews...t-drive-review
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...carrera-drive/
https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-drive-review/
Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,343 Likes on 628 Posts

Same old schmutz keeps coming back:

100km/h equals 62.15mph, it takes ~0.2s to accelerate from 60mph to 62.15mph

American publication subtract a one foot roll out from acceleration times while Euro publications do not. That is worth another 0.2~0.3s

C&D correct their results for ambient conditions, AutoTopNL obviously do not.

Test to test / car to car variations.

Last edited by CanAutM3; Yesterday at 05:53 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
aggie57 (Yesterday), lifelong_fan (Yesterday), PSPorsche (Yesterday), TempeAndy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,153 Likes on 3,013 Posts

If 0-60 times are important to you, buy an EV. Anything around 4 sec or less is “fast”. These cars need launch control get to that number. In the real world, there are precious few opportunities to use that launch control.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (Yesterday), Lk1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,510 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
. In the real world, there are precious few opportunities to use that launch control.
+1. I have owned 4 different Porsches with PDK, Sport Chrono and launch control and tracked all of them occasionally. I have never once needed to use, or used, launch control on any of them.
The following 5 users liked this post by Fullyield:
GTS440 (Yesterday), ICE2MTU (Yesterday), ldamelio (Yesterday), lifelong_fan (Yesterday), TimD (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If 0-60 times are important to you, buy an EV. Anything around 4 sec or less is “fast”. These cars need launch control get to that number. In the real world, there are precious few opportunities to use that launch control.
+1. I also think Nürburgring lap times are patently irrelevant for how we REALLY use and drive our cars.
The following users liked this post:
Lk1 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:59 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by tbo12
+1. I also think Nürburgring lap times are patently irrelevant for how we REALLY use and drive our cars.
Politely disagree with this on behalf of the track crowd. The 'Ring times can be extrapolated to how different cars will perform on the tracks one drives. They're useful data in that context.

I do agree that all modern Porsche sports cars have such high performance ceilings that these numbers are irrelevant on public roads. Even a base Boxster will get you into 'arrest me' speeds very quickly.
5thGen Texan (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 773 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Politely disagree with this on behalf of the track crowd. The 'Ring times can be extrapolated to how different cars will perform on the tracks one drives. They're useful data in that context.

I do agree that all modern Porsche sports cars have such high performance ceilings that these numbers are irrelevant on public roads. Even a base Boxster will get you into 'arrest me' speeds very quickly.
thats the point; most of us don’t have a track we drive rather use ours on roads.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
Lk1
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ldamelio

The Ring is as relevant to Lime Rock and Palmer as Swiss cheese is to cottage cheese.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,421 Likes on 688 Posts

I care more about the feeling of thrust when I hit the gas than what the 0-60 times are.
rob929 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I care more about the feeling of thrust when I hit the gas than what the 0-60 times are.
Exactly and what to expect there is best indicated by 1/4 mile trap MPH. A sports car that traps 125 vs another at 115 is going to be waaaaay more fun to drive on the street. Trap MPH is an indicator of power. I really doubt that more than a handfull of 911 owners are regularly using their "launch control" for ***** to the wall hole shots on the street. Many of us never use this gimmick.
A C2 992.1 vs a C2 992.2 are going to show very similar times if a multitude of other factors can be standardized such as same driver, same track surface, same day, same atmospheric conditions, 1 ft roll out(or not). There are many variables here. The C2 992.2 is not going to be .5-.6 seconds slower 0-60 MPH than the C2 992.1.
Another thing that some of us forget or are unaware of is the fact that drag strip times 60ft., 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile etc. incorporate a 1 ft rollout as a result of the timing beams. The vehicle has moved that 1 foot before the clock starts ticking.

Last edited by Hunky; Yesterday at 11:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
alaris
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 71 Posts

Probably because 100 km/h is 62, not 60 mph
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Hunky
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by alaris
Probably because 100 km/h is 62, not 60 mph
There are many who do not realize this. 0-100 KPH is usually .2 seconds longer than 0-60.
alaris (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,804 Likes on 5,157 Posts

Originally Posted by Lk1
The Ring is as relevant to Lime Rock and Palmer as Swiss cheese is to cottage cheese.
Bingo.

The Ring is a track like no other. Heck, it's not really even a track, but a like a long highway with different elevation changes and sometimes different climates.

To say that one can extrapolate Ring times to any other tack in the world is like saying I can extrapolate the price of A5 Kobe beef to what a White Castle burger should taste like.
detansinn (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: 992.2 C2 0-60 Discrepancy