Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 12:32 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve (old fartus emeritus) has muffler bypasses with stock cats. It pretty much sounds like my car which is set up with no cats and TechEFX mufflers. It's fine for daily driving in my opinion, but it's a very subjective call.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:11 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 234 Posts

Jeff,

Great to see you posting. I'm curious, have you done any mods or is the car still pretty much stock?
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 10-30-2003, 02:52 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Seeing as many of the guys posting on this thread have no cats,

Does anyone have any CEL issues since the removal of their cats?

My solenoid exhaust plan was scrapped so instead, i'll be doing the muffler bypass and cat bypass setup.

The cat will be replaced with a custom built volumetric chamber to try to reduce noise a little.

Jeff,
Any flames(popping fire) from your exhaust setup?
Any issues with burnt body work due to the high exhaust temps?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:54 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Superfly: Do a search on "CAT bypasses". Some people report CEL light issues. Others, including me, do not. I think my FVD computer is somehow handling it. My CEL still works as it is supposed to, but is not coming on and staying on as others have reported when they removed their CATS.

Also, when I ran CAT bypass and Muffler bypass for a couple of weeks, I felt (subjectively) that there was less heat buildup in the rear of the car. I was un-able to verify if I could get flames to shoot out of the back, but I was hoping
I was a little too nervous driving around at night to get on it, since the sound was so cop-attractive.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:02 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by John D II
Jeff,

Great to see you posting. I'm curious, have you done any mods or is the car still pretty much stock?
My car is still pretty much stock. I've been trying to hold off on the mods, you know, trying to pace myself.

But I'm doing my pss-9 install this weekend and I ahve a set of the FVD cat bypass pipes. After these 2 things, I'm just going to do an aux oil cooler and that'll be it for the mods.

I'm going to try to spend more money on driving instruction afterwards ( ie, DE's, driving school, etc )
Old 10-30-2003, 05:53 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeff 993TT,

Actually, I was asking "Jeffery" aka "4flynlow" (the current owner of my former Silver 993TT), if he had done any mods to my old car. I know he was thinking about the PSS-9 and some other improvements at one point. Sorry for the confusion.

I'm glad to hear about your car, too. Based on my experience with the PSS-9 suspension for the 996TT...you will love it.
Old 10-30-2003, 07:49 PM
nman413
Drifting

Jeff, "hold off on the mods"......

That's funny
Old 10-30-2003, 07:56 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Default FVD v. GHL muffler bypass

Everyone seems pleased with the FVD muffler bypass; has anyone installed the GHL (advertised special here on Rennlist)?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:44 PM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

ScottMellor,
Actually i did do a search on cel issues, it just seems a little unacceptable that the final answer is "MAYBE"
I'll be spending quite an amount of money getting the custom pipes and chambers made, so I really wanted to know if cel will be an issue.
As you have said... I guess the answer again is "maybe"
Old 10-31-2003, 12:36 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If the check engine light bothers you, you can simply remove the bulb. It is a simple <5 minute job.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:16 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by superyellowfly

The cat will be replaced with a custom built volumetric chamber to try to reduce noise a little.
just a thought.......Why not just install a straight through 3" resonator in place of the cat ?
- would look like a cat
- no impedance of flow
- noticeable abatement of noise
Old 10-31-2003, 09:03 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Superyellowfly,

When I installed the Cat Bypass pipes, my CEL came on within 100 miles, so I turned it off. It then came on again, and I turned it off. It has not come on since. The 993TT ECUs have a learning capability. If it throws a CEL for an error condition then it is turned off, and it senses the same condition again and again, sooner of later it assumes the condition to be normal and stops sending the CEL.
Old 11-01-2003, 12:41 AM
4flynlow
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

John D II:
It is nice to hear from you.My car is awesome and getting better all the time.I have done a few mods as follows:1.PSS9 setup with the RS adjustable bars and steve Weiner rear hats set at RS specs.2.Additional oil cooler in tandom to stock cooler ducted from the RS scoops with an auxillary fan switch located where the euro headlight levelers were intended.3.Euro turbo front spoiler deleting the bumperettes with clear corners.4. Painted out the rear bumperettes to match the car 5.Gert's front protection bar 6.medium tint on all windows.
I am still learning every day from the many experts on this list. I am currently contemplating the performance mod package.This will entail a new ECU,Turbos,Wastegates,and intercooler.I am not certain which way to go and want to do it all as an integrated package.I hope all is well with you and that you are enjoying your new Turbo.
Jeffry Brusseau
Old 11-01-2003, 06:31 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jeffry,

Those are some very nice improvements. If I ever make it out to the west coast, I'd love to see the car again. And yes, I am loving the new turbo.

As for the engine upgrade, I would recommend the full RUF package - without reservation. It's a distinguished, first class club to belong to.....with stellar support.

Good luck! Glad to hear you're enjoying the car so much.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:07 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Q,
There you are! Apparently you can incorporate an "internal volumetric buffer" type tube that allows the tuning of resonance. I found a guy that does it for USD $600. My car's been suffering a spate of bad luck, so i'm looking at getting all my mods done as soon as they set my cams right.

Bob,
Thanks for the feed back... I remember a post you made earlier regarding the scanner tool... i guess it works huh! I'll get those pics of the exhaust system posted as soon as the car is ready for work

Quick Reply: Exhaust question