Sponsored by:

About to buy, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Get a written quote and post it here if you want feedback. Most of us have been down these alleys, and know the way.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 PM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattnshilp
I really trust this guy and his judgement. I'm not explaining it correctly. I'll ask him to tell me the formal name. But he said both rear wheels are loose and jiggle. He needs to tighten some bolts and the he said that the ball in joint has been loose for so long that the insides are likely damaged. Does that make sense?
matt matt you really trusted the last guy that did the ppi and posted how if he said the car was worth purchasing, you were going to go for it --- and he was the one that didn't pick up on the loose, jiggly rear wheels. you need to be skeptical of everyone that wants your money, including this new wiz of a mechanic that wants 7k bucks of yours. first things first, drive your car.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

I actually saw the car today!!! She's a beauty!!!

I went over everything in detail with the mechanic. He listed absolute repairs, non-urgent but needed repairs and upgrades. I passed on the upgraded suspension right now, and the computer reflash. I am doing the sports flywheel.

The big expense I mentioned are new rear wheel carriers. I can't explain it, but he showed me and I see what the issue is. It sucks, but I can understand the need for replacing them. He put the car on a lift and went over every part of the car with me. #'s are what he quoted before. I'm ok with that.

A few weeks and I'll have a real beauty!!! Can't wait.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

I'll post when I get it with some picts in a new thread.

Long road. But I'm on the home stretch....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Parsonii. I never 100% trusted the guy who did the PPI. But he was the best I had down there. My guy here has worked on many of my friends cars and has never taken advantage of any of them. I trust him to be able to fix whatever the PPI guy missed.

He spent 2 hours with me today looking at the engine and car from up top and them on the lift from below. I saw everything he wants to fix and told him to fix some stuff he said could wait....
Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Who did the PPI?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
Who did the PPI?
Gulf Performance in Florida. They missed some stuff they shouldn't have. But I figured the car would need about $6k to make it perfect. It needs about $8k. Not bad.

Gulf has a decent reputation on this forum, so I used them for the PPI. I've heard they are fair, but not great from other sources.

All in all, I'm about where I expected to be...
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Gulf Performance built the engine in my car about 6 months before I bought it. I contacted them when I bought the car to get some info regarding the build and it was like pulling teeth to get anything out of them . They were not very accomodating to say the least.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

I'm not complaining nor criticizing. I got what I expected from them and I'm where I expected to be. I know I am in the best hands I can be in now, and that's what is important.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
gruppe75
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big expense I mentioned are new rear wheel carriers
Excuse me if I seem naive, but what would cause the rear carriers to fail? And how does one detect a failure?
Anyone?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

The carrier didn't really fail. But there is a joint that connects the carrier to the toe arm (or something like that) that was loose on both sides and caused damage to the joint part of the carrier that connects to it. It's actually a part of the carrier and is not separately replaceable.

He told me that he could simply tighten the bolts and watch it, but that he strongly suspects that the socket of the ball joint was damaged with the instability and it would loosen again and again...

Again, I am no mechanic and this is very foreign to me. But he physically showed me the loose joint and the damage/wear as a result. If it had been noticed and tightened long ago, it would have been a quick, cheap fix. But now it's not.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:37 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Believe it or not, I just took delivery of the car yesterday. The carriers took forever to come in. The only mod I did was a lighter flywheel.

Really enjoying the drive. Very different from my last cars linear 420hp V8. Truly a daily driver and a true sports car all in one; and what a looker. Gotta get her detailed tho.

Brakes are really screechy and I thnk I need new pads. Are there brake upgrades I should consider?

Only real issue now seams to be that the readiness monitor on the OBD2 computer doesn't want to engage so I can't get it inspected yet. I was told to drive it and it will engage; but it could take a few hundred miles.

I'll start a new post with some owner questions. Nothing major. Gotta do some searches first before asking tho.

Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone following my long saga. I am VERY happy with my purchase.

-Matt
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 214 Posts

Only real issue now seams to be that the readiness monitor on the OBD2 computer doesn't want to engage so I can't get it inspected yet. I was told to drive it and it will engage; but it could take a few hundred miles.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...codes-fix.html

Brakes are really screechy and I thnk I need new pads. Are there brake upgrades I should consider?
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...rom-stock.html

All good stuff... enjoy.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Brakes fixed. Fronts needed new pads and rears needed a de-squeekification. Computer set and inspected.

Now I'm just driving and enjoying.

The ride is a bit rougher then expected, but she is awesome!

Quick Reply: About to buy, need opinions.