Sponsored by:

About to buy, need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 02:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by mattnshilp
Vinnie is back-logged and won't get to the inspection until tomorrow
Always good to go to a busy mechanic, gas station, restaurant and doctor!

*the last 2 are slightly related. LOL. I crack myself up!
Old 01-28-2011 | 09:44 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Vinnie is back-logged and won't get to the inspection until tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning.

Shoot me now!!!
I was at Vinnie's yesterday and saw the car in person. Here are some pics.

The car looks pretty nice. The bumpers look like they have been painted and I'd probably respray them because I'm neurotic, but its not 100% necessary. Left rear quarter MAY have been sprayed but I'm no expert. Wheels are relatively clean with minimal scuffs and rash, but there is some. Interior is in nice shape with the exception of the drivers seat bolster which has come separated from the seat frame but that should snap back together with minimal effort. This is a common issue with the sport seats as mine were like that when I first bought them. It has new turbos on it and runs pretty good, lots of power etc. I did not see the car on a lift so I cannot comment on how the bottom of it looks.
Attached Images              
Old 01-28-2011 | 10:41 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
I was at Vinnie's yesterday and saw the car in person. Here are some pics.

The car looks pretty nice. The bumpers look like they have been painted and I'd probably respray them because I'm very neurotic, but its not 100% necessary.
Old 01-28-2011 | 06:15 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much. I really don't know what to do. The seller is asking $60k now, with the new turbos. Vinnie feels the car really needs another $5k in engine, interior and exterior to make it really nice.

Do you think $60k is a reasonable price for that car including the extra set of wheels?

At $65k I can probably find a much lower mileage 993tt in better condition. And I also know that for $73'ish K I can get a sub-30k mile 997tt.
Old 01-28-2011 | 06:30 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Vinnie feels the car really needs another $5k in engine, interior and exterior to make it really nice.
What nees to be done to the engine?
Old 01-28-2011 | 06:50 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

I couldn't really pin that down. Apparantly he said the car drives VERY nicely. But it had some oil and sone minor issues he sort of said where fine now but would need repair in the next year or so. I'm waiting for a formal report. He also said the paint job wasn't great, but not horrible. He said the turbos where brand new and the brakes and clutch were mint.

According to the seller, he just put $4700- into it and it's in great condition mechanically. I respect Vinnie who is being very critical since I can't see the car myself.

JDHertz11 saw the car and posted picts. What do you guys think? Worth $60k if it still needs another few grand to sort it out? I don't need the car, so it can get fixed up without rush or missing it.
Old 01-28-2011 | 08:38 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

So here is where I stand right now....

I have a car I've been waiting FOREVER for a PPI and the PPI finally comes back pretty clean, but not perfect. The car has brand new warrantied turbos, pretty much new brakes and clutch and is in decent shape overall. The bumpers have been painted and don't match perfectly (and maybe a rear quarter panel also). The guy doing the PPI says the car needs $5K to make it really nice, but it runs really nicely right now. It comes with the original rims plus another set of 18" nice rims.

I originally negotiated to $58K pending PPI. Now that the turbos where done and he put $4700.00 into the car, he wants $60K to make the deal a go.

I also received a call from a local dealer who knew I was looking telling me he just got in a 2007 997 turbo in absolutely mint condition with a full warranty through June of 2011 with less then 20K miles on it, one owner, fender bender accident with rear quarter panel perfectly repainted. He's asking me a bit over $72K for the car... And it's also silver with black interior...

I plan on using this car EVERY day and will be putting a ton of mileage on it. I drive 20+ thousand miles a year and bring my kids to school or pick them up every day. I drive in rain, snow, sleet and anything else that requires me to get to the hospital for emergencies. And I do have an old beater SUV for really bad snow (like earlier this week)...

So:

993tt with 58K miles in pretty good condition for $65K (when all is said and done)
-- or --
997tt with just under 20K miles in mint condition with full warranty for $72K

Both are in the color combo I want.

?????????
Old 01-28-2011 | 08:43 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Because of your intended use - 997TT all the way!

BTW, there was a cheap 997tt for sale, that was supposed to of been in a minor accident, carfax proved differently.....hope that's not the car...
Old 01-28-2011 | 09:10 PM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

Jeeze. Me too!! The car fax is coming via email tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for your opinion.
Old 01-29-2011 | 12:25 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Jeeze. Me too!! The car fax is coming via email tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for your opinion.
different car, this is the car I was thinking of... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...urbo-ebay.html

talk to 'in the air' and 'terry adams', previous 993 owners who daily drive their 997 turbos..

read.. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...rbo-worth.html for some comparison...

then there's Berts car...http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...win-turbo.html ..I've seen it a few times....very attractive price...

Last edited by TRINITONY; 01-29-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-29-2011 | 01:08 AM
mattnshilp
Rennlist Member

1/27/08 - New York damage report - Accident reported. Vehicle involved in collision with another motor vehicle.

I have someone looking into the report to see what kind of accident it was and how bad the damage was. I will also call the Manhattan dealership Monday and see if they will pull their records on the VIN.

I just need to decide yes or no on the 993....
Old 01-29-2011 | 01:10 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Because of your intended use - 997TT all the way!
I agree.
Old 01-29-2011 | 01:19 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

1/27/08 - New York damage report - Accident reported. Vehicle involved in collision with another motor vehicle.

I have someone looking into the report to see what kind of accident it was and how bad the damage was. I will also call the Manhattan dealership Monday and see if they will pull their records on the VIN.

J said the car is nice, and is the same color combo as his, so it must look good, since he's real particular. I've seen Jason car and it's hawt, plus this car has sport seats, this is a tough decision. Good luck with whatever you decide...... ...still leaning towards the 997 though...once u run up the miles on the 993, it will have to be a keeper...
Old 01-29-2011 | 01:44 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

You and I seem to keep looking at the same cars. I believe you'll find this car (the 997tt) continually runs its battery down due to what sounds like an alarm fault following the accident. Have them try to start it after sitting a couple days.
Old 01-29-2011 | 03:00 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

for your reference, i just bought a '96 993TT, 20Kmi, for $65K. looks almost perfect (will be perfect once i'm done), maybe some impeccable paintwork, clean carfax, fantastic interior condition, strong motor but might be needing a clutch as its slipping above 4Krpm when doing WOT. might help you decide if the car you're looking at is priced correctly. good luck. i know buying a car is an arduous process.

Quick Reply: About to buy, need opinions.