Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Before vs after Aero mods + pics + VIDEOS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Jussi , it is difficult to tell how good or bad the IC is, unless you could do a back to back test under the same weather conditions. As to the engine bay temps, I believe it is a very enlightening topic and one that gives a lot of relevance to the Motorsport flexible air intakes from the GT2 wing to the turbos that the race Gt2s had.

What we don't know is what effect your lowered roof had on the engine bay cooling or fresh air intake that goes through the grill of the stock rear wing. My expectation would be that any change to the roof height will have a direct impact on the airflow into the engine bay, could be good or bad, I don't know and on the rear downforce as well.

If you look at your data, during your gear shifts at high speed (5th to 6th), there is a huge drop in temps across all parameters, this is driven by the increased air inflow at those speeds, notice how much bigger is the temp drop between gears as speeds gets higher, so there is some decent air going into your engine bay, that does not seem to be a problem..

I am yet very curious to see the same data around a couple of harcore laps, the sensor setup that you have fabricated is outstanding!
Old 01-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

Sorry for the hijack here, but on a relevant topic somewhat..

Originally Posted by sfl993t4
Any details on the Porsche Motorsport pipes would be great. I went with the FVD bits ( http://tinyurl.com/78oadz ) which are only 60mm but maintain consistent cross-section (unlike the stock pipes).
Really Jussi should start a cottage industry making replicas of his pipes.
Steve
Steve, I am talking about air intake tubes, not the pressure hoses. There are two of them for each side and are fitted to the GT2 wing inlets and go down to the turbo in two pieces.

If you don't have a GT2 wing things get more difficult as they attach to the air inlets on the sides of the wing.

The part that you see above on the wing is the one with the 90 degree bend in my picture. The other side attaches to the turbo as below (here with a restrictor):

Or see the picture below my setup, from the lower side:

And the upper side on my engine:

If you don't have a GT2 wing, you need to find a high pressure zone that gets gobs of fresh air and takes it straight to the turbo. The side vents on the turbo S fenders is an option certainly. Another would be Naca ducts on the rear fenders ala RT12 or CTR. Or replace your grill on the stock wing by a scoop ala GT3 and somehow feed it into a duct .

All of this is obviously too far fetched ad unless you are willing to go with a "racey" look or willing to slaughter your car, forget about it. The benefits are there for the fresh air intake, in the order of 30HP vs. a hot engine bay according to someone in the know.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:58 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for those Jean. Looks like the race cars ran un-filtered? Do you have any pics of your filter arrangement, looks very interesting? The fvd pipes that I posted were suction rather than pressure pipes, but still join up to the stock and probably restrictive stock y-pipe.
Steve
Old 01-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
Jussi , it is difficult to tell how good or bad the IC is....
...the sensor setup that you have fabricated is outstanding!
IC's cooling efficiency can be also calculated if all parameters are known..
IC eff = (Turbotemp-IAT) / (Turbotemp-IC_cooling)
Here is interesting graph from my data acquisition from start and end.

don't care about noise at higher speed, follow just upper line path. (Noises are from interpolating all channels according to fastest ones (AX))
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't understand the graph, what does I/C efficiency at end/begining mean ?

end and begining of what ? sorry to be dumb
Old 01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Jussi
Pro

That Start means datalogging at beginning of test and End is the latest acceleration (after 20minutes, so little heat soak).

X-axis is speed (km/h)
and
Y-axis is how efficiendy this 9M IC is. These are percents actually, for example 0.85 is 85% efficiency.

This is from accelerating from 0 to 300km/h, so "humps" are gears.

I dont have yet stock IC readings but I'll do them later. Would be interesting to put them to the same graph..
Old 01-08-2009, 10:45 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

I think it would be great to get back to the test track and test the two intercoolers (IC's) in the same conditions, swapping them back and forth to minimise other effects.

The ideal would be to make a bracket for the IC Cooling thermocouple (TC) to hold it in the airflow, add another TC for measuring the temp of the IC itselft (to assess heat soak), and then to work out a way of measuring the velocity of the airflow actually hitting the intercooler (despite the high car speed, the air actually reaching the intercooler could be travelling relatively slowly). Not sure how this could be done, maybe a pitot tube or similar?

Steve
Old 06-04-2011, 12:41 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Jou, what happened?

Quick Reply: Before vs after Aero mods + pics + VIDEOS!