Sponsored by:

Carbon Door panel Kit "RS"

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Door panel Kit "RS"

I just ordered these from FVD. Not sure how they will look in the car. Any comments from those that have done this?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:31 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you doing this for weight savings?
Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Hi Vincent, I have the same, I really like them.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:22 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Not for weight saving but to replaced my tan interiors to black. These parts look better and less expensive than the black OEM parts.
Jean how's the fitment on these? Any rattling issues?

Last edited by vincentdds; 07-08-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Hi Vincent, I have the same, I really like them.

Man Jean that is one slick shifter/gearbox, looks like it's a sequential setup
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by vincentdds
Not for weight saving but to replaced my tan interiors to black. These parts look better and less expensive than the black OEM parts.
Jean how's the fitment on these? Any rattling issues?
Vincent, no rattling at all, they have been there for almost 3 years now. I drilled myself the little holes for the screws retaining the speakers, they just did the large opening for the speaker magnet.

Mike, you are right this was a 6 speed sequential gearbox that was fitted to my car, it is not there anymore, I have a stock gearbox now.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 207 Posts

Jean,

PM sent.

Simon.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:05 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Do you get any significant weight saving if you replace the panels only or do you need to replace the entire door?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:09 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question scratch-resistance?

Anyone installed or considered these on eBay: Porsche RS carbon door boards, or have experience with Cup Sport's carbon fiber? Curious for your thoughts.

Jean-- Gorgeous! ... & I'm not just referring to your CF RS door panels. What seats are those? How long have you had your new door panels? Are they good for scratch resistance?
Originally Posted by vincentdds
I just ordered these from FVD. Not sure how they will look in the car. Any comments from those that have done this?
Vincent-- Great choice. I'm just steps behind; been researching these. The only US manufacturer I know of stopped production because his clear gel-coat top layer scratched too easily. Toward that end, I've read similar remarks from some Rennlisters about these in general. Common theme: it's not if they'll scratch, but when they'll scratch. I hope some here can attest that FVD's fixed that problem.
When installed, please let me know how you like the them. (FWIW, I suspect FVD re-sells from Marcus. The following look similar to FVD's catalog shot? It's Marcus' photo of his product.)

RLer Jussi's comparison pic of how they should look:

RL threads that may help with installation, etc.:
993 Turbo- Help in RS door panel installation?
993- Need help -RS door panels install
964- RS Door Panels: worth the effort?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought mine directly from Marcus 3 years ago, who I believe, is the supplier of these for FVD and Cargraphic. The car in the picture that Vincent posted is Marcus' 964. The owners of Cup-Sport, Marcus and myself met all together at the Nurburgring a few years back, they are all great people and as honest as they come. Cup Sport stuff is IMO a bit of less quality than Marcus', but things could have changed now.

The door panels don't have a single scratch with me so far, they are OEM quality.

As far as weight is concerned, I believe TB993TT or Jussi weighed them, they are probably similar to RS door panels. They are very solid and excellent quality.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Some pics of Marcus's panels in my interior here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...16&postcount=1

I can't remember the weight but they are not as light as you might imagine - I'd guess at ~2kg each ?

As fas as durability they are pretty scratch resistant but if you catch them with something sharp they will scratch. I have caught mine a couple of times with my shoe on the drivers side and there are a couple of scuffs, nothing you would notice unless getting very ****...

On the passenger side it makes you a bit paranoid when others are getting in and out and if they carelessly take off their seat belt and let it recoil, the clatter as it hits the carbon panel can cause a bit of "must keep carbon perfect rage" which is not good for family harmony and can make a chilled out father appear to be a middle aged bearded anorak whose 7 y/o daughter is the only one in her class to know about the frailty of a carbon interior but so far does not seem to damage it....
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Thanks Toby - do you know how that compares to the weight vs stock?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:54 PM
vincentdds
Racer

That picture of Jussi's car says it all. The RS panel really bring out the car. I plan to have the lower portion of the panel protected with the clear 3M. Works well for me on the CS.
Jean, why do you have to do additional drilling for the speakers? I was told by FVD that there will be no drilling necessary.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Vincent

I am talking about the little 4-5 holes and bolts that hold the speaker in place. Depending what brand of speakers you have, you might need to do some adjustments, most likely you will not though.

Jean
Old 07-11-2008, 02:55 PM
vincentdds
Racer

Originally Posted by Jean
Vincent

I am talking about the little 4-5 holes and bolts that hold the speaker in place. Depending what brand of speakers you have, you might need to do some adjustments, most likely you will not though.

Jean
Gotcha..
BTW I still can't get a copy of the magazine that featured your car. I need to look at it everytime I go to bed.

Quick Reply: Carbon Door panel Kit "RS"