993 Forum 1995-1998

Need help - RS door panels install

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 03:20 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - RS door panels install

I am in the process of installing RS door panels from Better Bodies. Very satisfied with the quality. I installed the pull straps and need confirmation on the door handles. Do the handles bolt on to only the RS door panel or do they need to fasten to the door sheet metal? I think I received the incorrect bolts for the handles. Everything else seems to fit properly. I used the metal plates from the OEM door panels for the window switches for better durability.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Do you have pictures of your hardware? I just installed some and the handles attached to the sheet metal. You have a different brand of door panel so looking at your hardware may help.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be attached to the metal.
Have a look at this thread........
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/389792-rs-door-panels-worth-the-effort.html
Old 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gasser
Do you have pictures of your hardware? I just installed some and the handles attached to the sheet metal. You have a different brand of door panel so looking at your hardware may help.
Hardware pics included with panels; nuts are too big for sheet metals screws. Let me know your thoughts. Do the sheet metals screws go straight into sheet metal?
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Cy
Racer

Al,

When I installed mine (quite a few years ago now) I seem to remember having to drill at least one hole into the door on each side (it may have been two on each side). I just used sheet metal screws (no nuts) and have had no problems so far. I have the OE 993 RS door handles, but I doubt that makes a difference.

It's got to go into the metal or the door as if attached only to the thin door panel material the screws would rip through when you pulled on the handle.

Regards,
Old 02-11-2008, 02:33 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Al,

My guess is that those self tapping screws go through the door handle hole, through those nuts, then through the door panel and are then screwed into the metal of the door.
The nuts will only have been supplied to act as a spacer so as to put the handle of the door a little bit out from the panel so that the plastic bezel is able to clip onto the handle. If the spacer (nut) was not used, you'd never get the bezels to 'clip' on.

Mine use this 'jacknut' in the pic below.
You'll see that mine use the cup washer as the spacer.

Good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Mine used the above jack nut as well and worked very well. Solid as a rock. Check out some good hardware stores for some better hardware so you have no worries. Your sheetmetal screws will work but may loosen up over time. The good thing is if they do, you can always go to the jack nuts as they require a larger hole. I also agree as above, the nuts are for spacing.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Need help - RS door panels install