Sponsored by:

9M Prototype intercooler test report

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:24 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jean; how about a set of larger tanks with the same thickness in core thus allowing more surface area and the same heat dissipation. As in the RS IC in my car.

Jussi; My RS tanks are 15.5" deep and 2.38" thick, I could ask RS the source and then your home made IC could maximize the surface area in the engine bay with what ever is determined to be the best core material available, what do you think?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by LAT
Jean; how about a set of larger tanks with the same thickness in core thus allowing more surface area and the same heat dissipation. As in the RS IC in my car.

Jussi; My RS tanks are 15.5" deep and 2.38" thick, I could ask RS the source and then your home made IC could maximize the surface area in the engine bay with what ever is determined to be the best core material available, what do you think?
LAT your cores are OEM Porsche Motorsport, not RS Tuning I am pretty sure they are from the same supplier as the stock cores, they are just bigger.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

I know for a fact that the Secan intercoolers have very sophisticated internal flow dynamics and structure, and that the alloys used are also the result of very expensive R&D financed by the aeornautic industry. The right sizing choice etc.. are simply complementing the whole, and are restricted by the sort of car they will be fitted on (street or race) and the usage.. An intercooler fitting a pressure sensing setup like the GT2 EVO 3.8 race cars, can be, and is larger and occupies the whole engine bay almost. The racing intercoolers are thinner and wider than the street versions that I am seeing here I think.

LAT, your IC could be either a BEHR or the excellent Heggemann, like the cores that were used on the GT2 EVO 3.6 version.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello LAT

Do you have any pics of your cooler installed in your car with and without the shroud? My guess is that TB is right about the core supplier.

regards
Steve
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Sorry Jean, I must have posted at the same time as you so didn't see your reply. Jean possibly has more info than me on the stock core suppliers.
Steve
Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is no shroud as the intercooler fills the spoiler up to the grille.
Here are pictures of the IC off the car.
Attached Images     
Old 05-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Jussi
Pro

Thanks LAT from information.
That IC is huge !

Do you have pictures where that is installed to your car?

Have you tested it anyhow, like temp rises when making WOT?

It seems like stock but it has been extended from another stock IC.. hmm.. does anyone have useless stock IC to sell
Old 05-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
..The racing intercoolers are thinner and wider than the street versions..
I think that this is always good/right way to do it, even for stock usage.
Cooling area is important and too much thickness is bad for heat dissipation

Stock thickness is 2.5 inch, GT2 is 2.5, Secan is 2.75. That's way the thick (3.5-4 inch) ICs from FVD/Cargraphic etc sucks..
Old 05-06-2008, 12:14 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I don't think we can put the Secan and Marston cores in the same category "latest custom race cores" can we ?

Even noting your analysis of the relative sizes it seems to me the data shows the Secan even when not utilising one of its rows (because of the ill fitting stock shroud ) is way ahead in terms of Performance and that is before the ambient temperature has been cranked up- We don't know what the cost of the 9M Marston unit will be but based on performance it wouild have to be 1/3 of the price of the Secan IMO ?
I thought that things were going too well to last....

The truth of the matter is that Secan only learned how to make high efficiency radiator cores when they worked on a joint military project with Marston some years ago. Strangely enough they seemed to "benefit" more than Marston from the enforced technology exchange that was a condition of the project. Interestingly up to a couple of years ago Secan also supplied most of the F1 grid with radiator cores, now I am led to believe that they only supply one team, so read into that what you will. I am also told that they do not use special alloys for their cores.

I'm definitely not saying that Secan cores are not good as results have more than proven their worth, but the fact is that their performance could be matched by an equivalent Marston core once we select the ideal fin density, tube depth and size of unit for the application - all that the above superbly collected and presented data really shows is that the prototype intercooler made gains and that there is room for improvement. If RS Tuning made 6 intercoolers and scrapped the lot as none of them worked, I think we did ok for a first effort and I am looking forward to making further improvements before we put it into production.

Incidentally, we have already made a similar intercooler for a 965 Turbo 2 which is being tested for us in Italy and we have an idea to investigate options for the 996 turbo. At the moment we will only supply finished intercoolers so that we can maintain quality throughout the process and I can confirm that the target price for the production unit will be less than £5000 (+VAT, on an exchange basis).

My sincere thanks go to everyone involved in the testing and analysis of the data.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
sfl993t4
Instructor

Very interesting pictures LAT, thanks for those. If the intercooler fills the spoiler up to the grille, is the intake air taken from below the intercooler?
Pics of the intercooler installed (and of the engine bay before it is installed), would also be interesting.

Steve
Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

More pictures as requested, maybe too many, if so sorry for taking up too much bandwith.

As to intake there is an area on the rhs of the IC that the snorkel would normally go in where the air has access to the intake. Due to the large IC there is no shroud or room for a snorkel intake.
Attached Images       
Old 05-06-2008, 12:47 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
I thought that things were going too well to last....
It was always going to come down to price v performance 'tho' wasn't it ?

We were discussing this at length on the test day when we first saw the peak IAT data - "what would you pay for this if the Secan is ~£8000+VAT" ?

It was a hard one but I realise that the Marston cores aren't cheap, they look expensive but I suspect the £5000+VAT price may be too steep for a lot of people who would rather buy $2000 worth of shiny junk just so they can add "special high efficiency intercoolers" to their list of mods (not aimed at 993tt owners)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:04 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

To further aid development it would be useful to know the pre-intercooler air temperatures that the high hp cars are developing as this will give us the best measure of how much heat the intercoolers are taking out of the intake air under full load. Does anyone run pre- and post-intercooler temp sensors on a datalogger?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I do.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:31 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAT...what are the 3 hoses for above the intake?...looks like they connect to the i/c?

Quick Reply: 9M Prototype intercooler test report