Sponsored by:

9M Prototype intercooler test report

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
It does, there should have been a comma between ITB and large intercooler.
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you happen to know what brand it is? Also have you ever tested or come across an Andial Intercooler? Thats what I've been leaning towards

Thanks for your advice!
Old 09-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The ambient temp was 78F during the day (obvious variances occur on a 3.5m track). In looking at the peak temps on the back straight, the data shows that the stock one performed better by 1 degree, however, that could be within the range of error for the variances in ambient temp and other things. .
So you are saying that it is pretty much a wash as far as the performance between the FVD and the stock intercooler? I have both, but have been running the FVD. Reading this does not convince me to swap back to the stock.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you happen to know what brand it is?
I don't know who's intercooler it was. It might have been a Bob Holcombe one.

So you are saying that it is pretty much a wash as far as the performance between the FVD and the stock intercooler?
From the testing that we did on Monday, that would be a valid conclusion for the car configuration and environment it was tested on. It is very possible that in a street environment with stop and go traffic, the FVD might heat soak more than a stock one due to the thickness of the cores. I cannot say because I haven't tested that environment.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I called Mode a few weeks back and they said they are no longer making IC's. Can anyone confirm this? Or is Bob making them on the side?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

It is my understanding that Bob has closed the Porsche tuning and building of engines part of his business to concentrate on manufacturing.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Just an update. With the FVD intercooler reinstalled, we tested it again today. We made a complete air scoop that is 5" high in the front and completely sealed against the intercooler. All the air going off the roof of the car, along the window gets caught and forced through the intercooler. In addition, we used the GT2 wing ducts to channel air to the air filter. Ambient air temp was 61F and at 1 bar of boost, the intake air temps were 56c. With the car on full boost, then off throttle, around a corner, and into the pits, the fins were reading 65F via an infrad pyrometer. So, a marginal improvement which probably came mostly from the cooler ambient air temp, both air cleaner temp and intercooler cooling temp. It certainly is not adequate for the power this engine is producing.

Next is to send the intercooler to Colin and have him use the end tanks from FVD since they accomodate a thicker than stock core and replace with Marston cores. If the customer wants to pony up the $$$

Last edited by Geoffrey; 09-23-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ballpack price on Martson cores?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Geoffrey

Good stuff. Do you have any picutres of your GT2 intake ducts setup? Mine are on order from Porsche Motorsports, will be here next week.

Concerning the test, I think it is very important to have the datalogs charted showing the boost levels against RPMs/Speed/IAT/ambient temp etc.. for the run. Otherwise you can never have conclusive data while comparing the two.

As for the scoop, here is something you might like The edges of your scoop are not really efficient IMO, the more rounded edge shape of this CF one, added to the conical (narrowing) shape will help Bernoulli's (?) airflow.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the additional air scooped into the intercooler get out without causing rear end lift?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

You'd need a pressure gauge in there to measure the effects of that scoop. I wouldn't be shocked if pressures actually dropped.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Hi Jean,

You are correct, and we do have the data complied. However, with the testing we were doing we only needed a rough order of magnatitude. I would want to test at the same ambient temp since I don't know how to correlate that to the reduced intake air temps post intercooler. Obviously it has an effect, but what part does it play on the lower turbo inlet temps vs the heat transfer of the cores. I don't have the math for that. I knew this day would be about 10-12 degrees F cooler than when we ran the last test, the data comparison is moot. The aluminum was the easiest to fabricate a temporary setup. If it made a significant difference, we would do a CF one.

The engine cooling fan moves a significant amount of air out of the engine compartment.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Hi Jean,

You are correct, and we do have the data complied. However, with the testing we were doing we only needed a rough order of magnatitude. I would want to test at the same ambient temp since I don't know how to correlate that to the reduced intake air temps post intercooler. Obviously it has an effect, but what part does it play on the lower turbo inlet temps vs the heat transfer of the cores. I don't have the math for that. I knew this day would be about 10-12 degrees F cooler than when we ran the last test, the data comparison is moot. The aluminum was the easiest to fabricate a temporary setup. If it made a significant difference, we would do a CF one.

The engine cooling fan moves a significant amount of air out of the engine compartment.
Hi Geoffrey,

It will be great to see the graphs once you compare between the different setups, I know your Motec provides all sorts of interesting data.

As for the scoop, an Italian race team who has tested this specific scoop extensively in racing, confirmed that it improves quite positively the cooling (they have numbers to support it). This is similar to the GT3 setup, however with a much bigger intake area, in one of the points with the highest pressure and undisturbed air paths on the 993 body excepted the front bumper and windscreen.

As Acropora said, it would be interesting to place a sensor in that area and test improvement in air flow. Maybe this is something our private tech guru Phelix would fancy testing

I believe you are right, air is channelled through the fan downwards, so I do not think it produces any lift, but very interesting question.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:02 AM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

anbody out there who uses the Blownsix IC?

Looks big for little money!

Greetings Christian
Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Looks very similar to the FVD intercooler. I think one of the keys is surface area moreso than thickness. You get a diminishing return as the core thickness goes up whereas with more surface area, you have more of the intercooler exposed to the ambient air.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Jean;5841578]
As for the scoop, an Italian race team who has tested this specific scoop extensively in racing, confirmed that it improves quite positively the cooling (they have numbers to support it). This is similar to the GT3 setup, however with a much bigger intake area, in one of the points with the highest pressure and undisturbed air paths on the 993 body excepted the front bumper and windscreen.[QUOTE]

That's great! Why are we wasting time on bigger intercoolers? Sounds like this scoop would be a good investment. Nice winter project..

Quick Reply: 9M Prototype intercooler test report