Sponsored by:

9M Prototype intercooler test report

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Jussi not meant for you it is just an expression, I am in the same boat!

BTW if you do some research you might find certain Porsche turbo cars that were raced succesfully in Europe in recent years, if you know who built their intercoolers, you might be a winner or... who built the intercoolers for a certain Gemballa GTR750 that blew everyone away.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:55 PM
Jussi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
..if you do some research....Gemballa GTR750 that blew everyone away.
First google finding was
http://www.dtmpower.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=563

Look at what is under that Gemballa

I found pictures of that Gemballa IC.
Do you mean that :
http://www.geecar.com/1/2pic/gtr_750_04.jpg
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...8&d=1206319284
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...9&d=1206319471
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...4&d=1205380005
?
It doesn't look special one!? Or is it bigger than stock?

Last edited by Jussi; 05-07-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:34 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Seems to me Secan should consider lowering the price on their unit. (Assuming they want to sell any. )It's not like the 12 year old Porsches are on any modern race-for-big-money series.
I mean if THIS bunch won't pony up 30k for one, who would?
Old 05-07-2008, 11:54 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jussi, that's the top mounted intercooler, I would guess there are two others in the stock location. The cores are not the stock cores even if they look like it, no TTP commisioned stuff either. Can't tell you how good they are but they seemed to work as performance (full weight and poor aerodynamics) indicates 5 years later.

Scott, I wish they did, unfortunately this forum users are not their target customers, this is an aerospace supplier and in the automotive business they deal with big bucks racing teams.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:48 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I read a thread some time ago about someone flushing out their intercooler and it making a huge difference on performance, there was a lot of gunk and oil deposits inside which were affecting the performance of the unit. I wonder if the stock and Secan units tested by you guys were in as good and clean condition internally as the never used Marston unit, just another factor to consider?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Jussi
Pro

These latest airport tests with Stock IC, Secan IC and 9M IC can be interpreted as everyone wants
like following, here are the first runs from Stock and Secan with corrected 6. gear change :

so, I don't want to say anything anymore about which is good or which is bad..
Superiority is in the eye of the beholder
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jussi
so, I don't want to say anything anymore about which is good or which is bad..
Superiority is in the eye of the beholder
I think that is why you have to revert to looking at the IAT curves and seeing how the Motronic treats the varying levels of IAT, hence why I shared my Motronic data, you cannot argue with the fact that the Motronic will retard the timing by X degrees at Y degreeC however it seems the resulting performance loss of that retard may depend on other factors.......

Jussi, you should have similar data from your Motronic guy, it would be interesting to see if the thresholds are the same for your "tune" - they may well be different ?

Following these tests the next step would be the test which Jean has suggested, a proper thrashing around a race circuit in 25+ degC temps with all the limitations in air flow (through the I/C) which that brings - if that was done with Phelix's data logging it would make for some interesting reading.....
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBL930
I read a thread some time ago about someone flushing out their intercooler and it making a huge difference on performance, there was a lot of gunk and oil deposits inside which were affecting the performance of the unit.
I am in the process of doing just that of having the unit cleaned and the paint removed. I measured core surface temp of 130 deg F after a spirited run two nights ago. No science but gut feel says we should do this every 12 years or so.
Will report my findings if any are worth while.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Jussi
Pro

Toby, I have to ask those (timing, boost, etc) tables from my ECU tuner. Now they also interest me when I have learned more about ECU's behavioring.

That my latest layered acceleration picture shows that, it really doesn't matter if you have stock or Secan IC, IF you have mid tuned car, like max 550hp and you are doing just occasionally these acceleration tests at normal 20 degree weather. You can feel same G-forces when going 0 to 280 kph without caring which IC you have. If that retards timing a little, who cares because you can't even feel it if their acceleration curves are so similar...
Don't shoot me from my thoughts, just spending time at work

Another category is people like Jean who races mainly and temperature is much higher like 40 degree, for they, Secan is must
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

I removed my IC and took it to a good shop to clean and had a chance to take a good look at it.
I noticed LR MUNSTER stamped on each of the 15" x 10" cores.
Does this name ring a bell with anyone.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:31 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LAT
I removed my IC and took it to a good shop to clean and had a chance to take a good look at it and noticed LR MUNSTER stamped on each of the 15" x 10" cores.
Does ring a bell with anyone.
LAT, very few people know that Lilly Munster's middle name was "Ruth"! Looks like you may be in possession of her old car. Herman probably bought it for her for a B'Day gift or something; then Grandpa certainly had to mod it....
Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LA964RS
LAT, very few people know that Lilly Munster's middle name was "Ruth"! Looks like you may be in possession of her old car. Herman probably bought it for her for a B'Day gift or something; then Grandpa certainly had to mod it....
Some other guy would take off with this and talk about the 2.5" inlets or the 2.75" throttle body, but not me, no way.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAT...you are a class act...we expect no less!....but that'd be funny tho.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I apologize if this is getting boring to death but Jussi's graph puzzled me above, I don't know which runs those are since there are quite a few , however I picked the fastest Secan and fastest two stock runs, and what I see is that the Secan keeps pulling all the time stronger than stock all the way until the end of the runs, unlike the Marston core, that started dropping in 6th gear.

The secan run is 3-4 seconds faster than stock between 150kph and 278kph, which is substantial..no, rather huge, if you are targeting high speed runs.

Jussi, I might also have missed faster stock runs I don't know

Old 05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Jussi
Pro

Originally Posted by Jean
..I don't know which runs those are since there are quite a few , ..
Jean, I just picked the first runs of each test. Don't use the fastest ones.
As I said you can draw any conclusion from these tests if you want..
So in these runs, there are not differences up to 280 kph, stock IC looks even a bit efficient
Here is picture how I did it:

Quick Reply: 9M Prototype intercooler test report