Sponsored by:

Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 04:49 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring harness

Is the wiring harness that 95 and 96 MY had recalls on and others have problems with is the engine wiring harness or the DME harness? I thought it was the engine harness which looks to run up the right side of the car based on the diagram in PET.

Master Kevin advised me to check to see if mine had been replaced by trying to locate the product code on the tag on the harness. Can someone point me in the direction of such a tag if one does even exist still on my harness?
Old 10-12-2006, 06:14 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

its easier just to take it into the dealer - no charge for checking on this and it took around 1/2 hour. If you need the recall, you'll need to reschedule a return visit which'll take a day or a bit more
Old 10-12-2006, 06:19 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Mine's actually a 97, I thought the recall was only for the 95&96 cars, though I could be wrong on that. Looking to DIY this until it gets too painful.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:37 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The dealer can confirm/deny the recall campaign on your car based upon your VIN. Just call.

The wiring harness change is best done on a lift with the engine lowered (not removed). The book time is 6 hours, but most guys are saying it really takes between 8 and 10 hours, depending on what you run into. On my car, I also changed plugs and the insulation blanket while the engine was clear. Oh... I didn't mean to imply that "I" did anything... but write the check. BTW, the wire harness repair kit : 000-043-204-062 is only about $90. A true bargain, since the kit contains the $600 wire harness.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:04 PM
ESL
Addict
Rennlist Member

The wiring harness recall is for '95 and early '96 builds only. '97's are not affected.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:13 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to the rear fuse box (inside the left rear fender), undo the screws, pull off the cover and you should see white paper tags on the harness connections. It is one harness, but there are 3 connections in this plastic black box.

Are you having "cross talk" problems with your harness??
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You might want to look at http://members.rennlist.com/pcaracin...gharness5.html The TSB gives instructions on removing and replacing the harness and the part numbers and date code for the faulty harnesses.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

My 2 cents is like Steve has mentioned, this harness is so cheap and such a bargain that I have a few stock piled to replace on customer engines when they require a topend rebuild. With that said, if anyone needs a clutch and has a '96 it might be a deal for you to have Porsche drop your engine to replace the harness and pay the dealer 2 hours to replace your clutch.. You leave the dealer with a new wiring harness and a new clutch.. While he is digging the harness out, have him replace your plug wires..
Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Has anyone heard anything on the latest thinking from PAG that the mounting of the wiring harness was/is the problem and not so much the insulating material?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have not seen any chaffing of the stock harness. I have recently talked to PCNA about this subject (Porsche sent me two harnesses, one new in box, one used in new box) It wasn't funny when I opened it and the harness insulation was cracked.. That started the dialog. Every twin turbo owner should purchase a harness, just to stick on the shelf if they haven't had the update.

Also, if you have a 993 or 964 NA engine that you have plans to update to TT status.. You have yourself a cheap wiring harness.. The AMP connectors are worth the price you pay..
Old 10-15-2006, 09:00 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I have not seen any chaffing of the stock harness.
The following makes it sound like the heat related breakdown of the insulating material (Amitel) was not a general underhood temperature related problem but more of layout issue?

"Now, with the wiring harness recall, there has been some confusion about this. The original harnesses were not defective, they simply got baked because they were clamped directly to a hot intake port on cylinder head #2. What has been happening is that the installers thought the harness itself was made wrong, and simply installed the new one with the same clamp onto the same hot cylinder head. However the fix is to remove the clamp, then install a wiring harness that has not had the insulation fried off of it. I use a plastic tie wrap to keep the harness in position. "

Joel Reiser - PCA WebSite - 9/28/2006
Old 10-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Jason, I don't agree with that statement. The 993TT wire harness is clamped with a insulating clamp on top of the plastic injector block #2 cylinder. The cylinder head is 1" away, but insulated with the plastic engine cover standing off of the cylinder heads for cooling. The plastic shroud is bolted to the cam housing. If there was a bundle of wires that were to get cooked it would be the bundle of wires to the DME crank position sensor. Most of the horror stories I have heard about relate to injector wiring/shorts that flood the cylinders with fuel. Jamie, should post his pictures of his wiring harness.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:46 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here:

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 12-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Jamie for posting that picture!!!

It speaks for iteself.. Look at all the wires with cracked insulation.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
johnneurauter
Rennlist Member

Label on my harness reads:
ZEICH.DAT: 14.7.95
DATUM: 10.05.97
PRF.: 32021
MONT: 08 (WITH 48169 written by hand in blue ink next to it)
993.607.016.12 0-2

Based on the info at the link that Phelix sent along I think I'm in the clear as far as the TSB goes. Though I will replace at my next opportunity per the advice of Kevin and Jamie.

Will the bargain harness that comes with the 000-043-204-062 work in a 97? And will they sell me that kit or do I need to provide some proof that I have a 96 that's in need of the repair?

Jamie, I don't know that I'm having any problems with the harness. Trying to troubleshoot a catalyst efficiency threshold issue on bank 1 that's throwing a code. Replaced all 4 o2 sensors, but am still throwing the same code. So I had been in touch with Kevin about some cats, in case I need to replace those, and subject of the harness came up.

I also have the suspicion that my throttle position sensor was starting to go a little flaky on me, so I replaced that yesterday. And after reading some of the documentation that came with my new obd scanner, they do imply that a trashed out TPS or MAF can yield some strange o2 sensor activity. The car is running great though.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful insight and information. This forum is a wealth of information, and the people are pretty damn nice.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness